20 Shelves Above the Bed the Internet Says Are a GOOD Thing
Once you've figured out the most zen placement for your bed, you get to decide how to decorate the space above your bed. You could hang a gallery wall, maybe paint a mural… or you could opt for floating shelves. Not only are shelves above the bed a game changer for small spaces, but they give you storage without feeling cluttered and add a great dose of visual interest, with or without a headboard. Since some shelves above bed are basically what your bedroom's missing, we've rounded up 20 clever and unexpected examples to help you complete your sanctuary in style. You'll be taking the ultimate bedroom #shelfie in no time.
From minimalistic to cozy aesthetic, we have floating shelf above bed ideas for all
1. Mod Gallery Wall: If you love the idea of stacked art, but you're looking for a creative take on the gallery wall, fill that entire shelf with a collection of artwork that will bring your room to life. Choose art pieces of similar colors and shapes to keep the bedroom feeling calm and restful. (via Zara Home)
2. Light and Bright: Go a little boho and bring texture to your overhead space with framed art, an indoor plant and a strand of string lights. A floating shelf full of treasured knick knacks creates a dramatic focal point that draws you right in. (via Apartment Therapy)
3. Moody Glam: Keep things classic and simple with a white floating shelf and several art pieces. Mount the shelf right above your headboard (high enough you don’t bang your head) to add extra height and drama to your bedroom. (via Front + Main)
4. Stacks of Shelves: Narrow bedrooms can make it hard to hang artwork, and small spaces can limit your options even more. Instead of cramming more pieces into your space, bring interest to the wall behind your bed with multiple shelves that give you space for your library, picture frames and decor. (via Style Me Pretty)
5. Indoor Garden: This shelf takes indoor gardening to new heights. Adding several house plants above your bed will give your space a fresh and playful feel, especially if you switch things up with long, hanging tendrils and tall, perky plants.
6. All Gray Everything: The minimal black frames on this floating shelf give this bedroom a Scandi-Chic vibe. Mix up textures to add visual interest. (via Solebich)
7. Vintage Couture: If you can’t stand nightstand clutter, try moving your lamp, jewelry boxes and photo frames to a shelf above your bed. This is a great hack if you don’t have space for a bedside table or if you’re living the #smallspace life. (via Nuevo Estilo)
8. Minimalist Style: Don’t feel like you have to fill up the whole shelf. A shelf with one or two main pieces of decor makes just as much of a statement as one brimming with kitschy pieces. (via Design Sponge)
9. Industrial Vibes: Whether you’re a globetrotter who hauled treasures from an exotic location or you just love an eclectic look, an industrial pipe shelving piece can be a great replacement for the more traditional nightstand. Plus, a shelf mounted at almost ceiling height ensures you’ll never bruise your head in the a.m. (via Christine Choi Photography / Style Me Pretty)
10. Dusty Pink: Add a little zen to your room with a stylish mounted wood box shelf. The subtle design will bring visual interest without overwhelming a small room and create an out-of-the-ordinary focal point that’s perfect for showcasing one or two pieces. (via The Design Files)
What do you prefer? A bookshelf above the bed or just a place with some plants?
11. Mini Hanging Shelf: Craft yourself the perfect shelfie with a mini floating shelf, a couple potted plants and a framed photo. Earth tones gives this tiny shelf an organic and serene feel, and its #plantlover look is totally on trend. (via Sara Landstedt)
View this post on Instagram
Our hotel night was fun but I always sleep better here in our bedroom. Prob since i don't share it with a wiggly kicky little girl 🙊 off to hotel buffet breakfast 👏🏻👏🏻 . . . . . . . . (Tap for shop small details - yes there's lots of them sorry!) #homedetails #scandi #interiør #myhome #mystyle #hbmystyle #interior4all #interior123 #interiorinspo #interior #sharemystylebedroom #pocketofmyhome #mint #terraceliving #decor #homeinterior #cushions #immyandindi #stringshelf #smallspaceliving #shelfie #linen #knotcushion #bedroomdecor #bedroominspo #australianhomes #interiorstyling #realhomes #interiorandhome #apartmenttherapy
A post shared by Lightweight Picnic Throws (@throw_to_go) on
12. Monochromatic Bliss: Elevate a muted color scheme with clean lines, cozy textures and a wooden accent or two. Instead of just one long floating shelf, take a tip from this pretty bedroom and mix things up with two different shelves of two different heights and sizes.
13. Bohemian Charm: Fill a neutral-based bedroom with an array of organic elements and cozy textures to create a truly welcoming space. A vibrant mix of woven wall hangings, greenery and embroidered pillows gives this light-filled bedroom tons of personality. (via Design Sponge)
14. Less Is More: Photos look charming sitting on a shelf, but you can take it a step further with a few prints hanging below the shelf too. Stick to clean edges and beach-inspired prints to recreate this modern, geometric look.
15. Breath of Fresh Air: Take your organization game to a whole new level by using up the space over your bed with multiple shelves. Mix up the length of the shelves with wall art and mounted lamps to keep your room from looking too much like a closet. (via Main Street Stockholm)
16. Black and White Beauty: Give your bedroom an inviting, cozy aesthetic with mounted, movable lamps under a shelf. You could even add letter cubes or a light box to spell out a sweet message to your S.O. (via Bettina Holst)
View this post on Instagram
A post shared by Susie ▫️ Interior Decorator (@susieqdesign) on
17. Outside the Box: One long floating shelf too “done” for you? Think outside the norm and go for a circular hanging shelf instead. It might be just the decorative accent that brings your whole room together.
18. Surfer Cool: This light and bright room is Cali-cool at its finest. Plain white shelves almost blend right into the wall, leaving you with a delightfully simple, modern bedroom. (via Hunting for George)
19. Pastel Perfection: Pair a soft pastel color scheme with warm wooden accents and a touch of gold metallic accents. Mix up elegant features like gold picture frames, geometric throw pillows and an ombre blanket to turn your bedroom into a stylish space. (via Micasa)
20. Bookworm Heaven: No room for bookshelves? No problemo. Create the home library of your dreams by building up the area above your bed with multiple floating shelves. (via Planete Deco)
- 21 DIY Hanging Shelves + Tables That Will Save You Major Floor ... ›
- 20 Times the Internet Showed Us That Shelves Above the Bed Are a ... ›