What to Wear to Every Festival Without Abandoning Your Personal Style
Besides hosting the biggest musical performances of the year, festival season is a serious fashion event and an amazing place to gather major warm-weather outfit inspiration (and gawk at over-the-top getups). And while DIY paper flower crowns, fringe and boho dresses reign supreme at most musical shindigs, there is definitely no protocol when it comes to festival fashion. So whether you’re hitting up Coachella or jammin’ out at Bonaroo (and even if you’re not), if your minimalist leanings mean tie-dye, hair swag and boho chic accessories are out, that’s totally cool. Getting into the free-wheelin’ spirit is a lot easier when you feel confident, so you do you, girl. With that in mind, we’ve put together seven festival outfits that go beyond boho chic, so you can stay ahead of the curve while staying true to your on-point style sensibilities all festival season long. From rock goddess to preppy and everything in between, these outfits are guaranteed to amp up your style cred.
1. Boho Babe: Free-spirited femmes: This is your time to shine. Florals, flowy fabrics and add-ons that read organic and earthy are the cornerstones of your festival wardrobe. Beach-babe waves (your go-to festival ‘do) are the perfect partner to a dramatic cold-shoulder frock that will keep you cool during the day and allow you to layer up at night. When the sun starts to set, toss on this military shirt jacket to keep your getup’s ’60s Woodstock-inspired vibes going strong. Bonus: It’s roomy enough to layer a chunky knit underneath. Lace-up gladiators keep feet lookin’ fly, while tassel earrings add an element of drama and texture to the overall look. The only thing missing? A flash tat or two.
2. Flirty + Feminine: Show off your sweet side at Coachella, Osheaga and Bonaroo by going wild with ruffles, playful prints and eye-catching colors. Skip the separates and load up on rompers for one-and-done dressing that makes traveling light and scoring a sweet spot for the show (no wasting time putting together an outfit) an effortless exercise. Double up on florals for maximum impact with a Frida Kahlo-esque headband positioned just so on those DDG tresses. Toss on a hot-right-now saddlebag to complete the look, and don’t forget your SPF, sunglasses and siren red lipstick!
3. Rock Goddess: When it comes to your festival wardrobe, you’re all about keepin’ it real. A t-shirt and denim shorts uniform makes packing incredibly easy and maximizes your time at the main stage. That said, not just any old separates will do — you’re no plain Jane. Funky prints and statement-making slogans, like this badass girl power number, put a totally you spin on everyday basics, especially when teamed with a leather jacket that epitomizes rockstar. Yup, that is rose gold leather right there. While metallic platform Oxfords would feel totally at home here, we’re looking to classic Dr. Martens for both edge and a punch of practicality — because mud.
1964 Threads Girl Power Tee ($39), Nasty Gal You Should Be Dancing Metallic Leather Jacket ($198), M.i.h. Jeanne Short ($190) + Dr. Martens Page Wanderlust Boot ($125)
4. Minimalist Muse: Flower crowns, fringe and crochet crop tops? Not on your watch. But trust us, you can push the envelope on festival fashion without compromising your perfected personal style. Minimalist festival style is about to become the next big thing. Kick off your pared-down look with an understated romper or jumpsuit with a modern marble, geometric or graphic print. Bonus points for a spectrum of calming hues. In terms of extras, go big, but in a totally unexpected way. Put abstract metallic pendants, delicate stacking rings or simple ear jackets into play to dress up duds without overwhelming. Look to no-frills layers like a fleece bomber jacket, this season’s must-have topper, to keep you toasty after dark. For a pop of color (and plenty of space to tote a water bottle and other must-haves,) take along a fresh citrus backpack. That little bit of fringe is about as boho as you get.
5. #OOTD Fashion Darling: The latest trends are always on your radar, and you’re not afraid to bust them out in even the most unlikely places — your fave festival included. This year you’re swapping out your button-front skirt and peasant top for of-the-moment culottes and a lace-up suede body suit that serves up just the right amount of ’70s diva vibes. On the accessories front, sleek and stylish reign supreme, so seal the deal with a quirky gold choker and sharp futuristic sunglasses. To pull it all together, step into a pair of floral flatform sandals or snakeskin ankle boots. A copper smokey eye and sleek chignon are obligatory.
6. Sports Chic: When it comes to practical festival dressing, athleisure devotees have it on lock. Bright, stylish workout duds just feel so right when you’re movin’ and shakin’ under the sun to the sounds of your favorite band. But instead of donning running shorts and racerback tanks, up the ante this time around with polished pieces that both kill it in the style department and deliver that athletic feel you love. Classic t-shirts get a major right-now makeover with cold-shoulder cutouts, while a playful pinafore injects a note of tomboy edge to your rockin’-out ensemble. When it comes to your kicks, sneakers are an obvious choice, and a pair of vibrant Chuck Taylors feel right on cue. An understated belt bag is the perfect finishing touch, allowing you to go hands-free (because glow sticks) and nail your festival style.
7. Pretty Prepster: Because preppy girls love indie music too. Classy and perfectly assembled ensembles have their place at music festivals, and this outfit is all the proof you need. Leave the polos and Breton stripes behind, and toss on this crazy cute crop top instead — its ruffle game is strong. Resist the urge to rock cutoffs and Hunter boots (though you might want to take them along if there’s rain on the horizon), and rock a sweet button-front skirt on the bottom for a look that reads ladylike and on-trend. Cat eye sunglasses are so key and add a note of retro glamour into the getup, while sling-back sandals have contemporary cool on lock. Bringing along a bag? Choose a mini top handle or circular crossbody style to keep your prepster game going strong.
What festivals are you hitting up this year? Follow us on Pinterest for more style inspiration!
Brit + Co may at times use affiliate links to promote products sold by others, but always offers genuine editorial recommendations.