Summer ain’t over, people! As fall collections start rolling out, we can’t help but want to hold a little tighter to our beloved jelly sandals, breezy off-the-shoulder dresses and summer getaway shorts. Thankfully, the dog days of summer are nowhere near over — there are still countless backyard BBQs, beach weekends and Labor Day shenanigans to attend. And where there’s summer, an on-trend straw clutch or picnic tote surely isn’t too far behind. If the latest celebrity-approved wicker bag trend is any indication, time’s a-ticking to snatch up one of these 27 straw totes with *major* beach-to-boardwalk appeal. Not just restricted to last-minute getaways, these wardrobe workhorses are just as worthy of a stylish commute into the city as a seaside wedding.
1. Modcloth Put It to Good Juice Bag ($45): “SO cute. Where’d you get your bag?” says every passerby on the street. Let the compliments flow as you flaunt your fancy-schmancy watermelon bag to the waterfront, your sister’s wedding — you name it. Not only will it serve as an instant conversation starter (hello, awkward elevator rides), but it’ll serve as a ray of sunshine to every gingham frock and itty-bitty bikini from here on out.
2. Indego Africa Pom Palm Tote ($75): Too many poms? No such thing. Going hand-in-hand with your uniform of denim boyfriend shorts and striped tees, this hand-woven palm leaf tote by Indego Africa is just the thing for an impromptu picnic in the park or a trip to the farmers’ market. Not to mention all proceeds fund educational programming for local artisans. #WinWin
3. Hat Attack Patched Up Clutch ($99): Fellow ‘90s kids will get a kick out of this rad patchwork straw clutch that sends out peace, love and good vibes. Plus, it’ll look boss with your vintage embroidered denim jacket and throwback Chuck Taylors. Toss a tattoo choker necklace and some leather pants into the mix for a look that’s a little bit grunge and a whole lot punk.
4. Sensi Studio Pineapple Tote ($330): We know, we know — we never want summer to end either. Thankfully, it doesn’t have to (at least not yet). Gear up for a weekend in the Hamptons with this hand-painted straw pineapple tote that calls to mind nautical stripes and preppy madras prints.
5. Kayu Cactus Pouch ($125): Have an OMG-worthy embroidered cactus pouch, will find an excuse to style it a million and one ways. Between a post-work Tex-Mex happy hour, a glam-cation with your girls and a vacay to Mexico, this handcrafted clutch will practically style itself. Sign us up, please.
6. Kayu Embroidered Woven Straw Clutch ($125): Fact: You will go bananas for this embroidered straw clutch that will straight-up stun the moment you enter the room. Besides the canary yellow interior and embroidered bananas (we can’t even), you won’t run out of ways to style this hero piece in disguise. For major street style bait, toss on some “ugly” glove shoes and a vibrant yellow topper for a head-turning look.
7. Kate Spade Down the Rabbit Hole Wicker Bee ($398): Three words: too stinkin’ cute. One more word: SOLD. For a warm-weather look that will have everyone buzzin’ around in delight, DO invest in this bumble bee wicker handbag that’s a shoo-in for a baby shower or weekend wedding at the country club. A daisy printed dress and bow-topped heels may or may not be required.
8. Mystique Straw Tote ($155): Did someone say fiesta? (You bring the chips, we’ll be in charge of the guac.) If this neon tassel tote doesn’t make you break out in a spontaneous dance party, then we don’t know what will. Keep a case of the outfit blahs away by styling it with a vibrant maxi dress and white Birks for an epic end-of-summer pool party.
9. Mango Straw Bag ($60): Calling all boho babes! Run, don’t walk, to snag this hippie-dippy black straw bag that can be tossed on with seconds to spare. Think of it as a catchall for your keys, sunnies, old ticket stubs and random knick knacks you can’t bare to part with.
10. ASOS Straw Cat Clutch Bag ($40): Admit it: This straw clutch is actually the cat’s meow. (Fellow dog lovers, don’t deny it.) Style it alongside a denim pinafore dress or an accordion-pleat skirt and stripes for an extra dash of whimsy that won’t go unnoticed. Major bonus if you remember to sport your signature cat eye shades for a cat-tastic look that’s borderline fierce.
11. Sensi Studio Large Straw Tote ($300): A one-piece swimsuit with peekaboo cutouts? Check. Free-spirited tassel sandals for a stroll along the boardwalk? Check. An oversized straw tote big enough to fit a beach towel, sunscreen and retro aviators? Triple check. When carrying less isn’t an option, this artisan-made tote makes a self-proclaimed bag lady look chic.
12. Kayu Luna Striped Woven Straw Shoulder Bag ($130): One woven pineapple straw bag = infinite outfit possibilities. Dress it up with a Bardot-inspired off-the-shoulder romper for island girl charm, or combat a case of the Mondays with an oversized t-shirt dress and denim jacket. Better yet, toss the chain inside and use it as a handy dandy clutch for dinner al fresco.
13. Rachel Comey Norwood Cross-Body Bag ($426): The verdict is in: This is the It girl-approved cylinder-shaped wicker bag you needed in your life yesterday. Go ahead and round out your off-duty uniform, consisting of high-waisted skinny jeans and backless mules, with this scene-stealing accessory that’s destined for sartorial greatness. Bonus points: It’ll fit just the essentials (think: lipstick, credit cards and your cell phone) for a non-fussy commute.
14. French Baskets Blue Multi Pom Pom Basket Tote ($58): It’s not too late to book that getaway to Italy after all. You have the pom-pom embellished basket tote — now all that’s missing is a plane ticket and a twirl-worthy skirt that demands attention. Not jet-setting off just yet? Stand out from the crowd by teaming this uplifting tote with your Sunday best for a Parisian chic look.
15. Flora Bella Dominica Raffia Crossbody ($145): Carefree summer ‘tude? Say no more. This boho-chic crochet cross-body bag is begging to be paired with all your summer whites (hurry, before Labor Day gets here!). The shell accents and festive fringe will elevate everything from a denim romper to an Aztec-printed tunic.
16. Sensi Studio Maxi Woven Toquilla Straw Tote ($235): Extended vacay on the Amalfi Coast? Girl, we’ve got you covered. This punchy red straw tote, complete with a whimsical pom-pom and tassel charm, has a personality of its own. It’ll look resort-ready with a lace-up festival-going dress and borderline corporate when styled alongside a crisp Oxford shirt and high-waisted shorts. Free-wheelin’ espadrilles always obligatory.
17. Mango Straw Clutch ($30): You best be bringing out your go-to army green anorak and come-hither black bodysuit — this safari-inspired clutch is more than ready for its close-up. Ditch the all work, no play attitude by styling it with a black bodycon dress and lace-up ghillies for a day-to-night look.
18. Sensi Studio Tucan Medium Tote ($288): Don’t stop channeling those tropical vibes just yet! This playful toucan tote will inspire you to pull out your rainbow print maxi dress and colorful pom-pom-embellished gladiators for one last hurrah in paradise. For casual Friday, it’ll look just as resort-approved with a borrowed-from-the-boys button-down and cuffed chino pants.
19. Kimchi Blue Straw Mini Crossbody Bag ($49): Oh, this old thing? For a pared-down summer look that’s made for kicking it by the pool and hanging low in your beach bungalow, allow this darling little straw cross-body bag to pave the way. The structured shape will lend instant polish and sophistication to even your most lazy girl-approved slip dresses.
20. Shiraleah Black Carmelita Pom Pom Clutch ($40): Not so fast: Straw bags need not be restricted to daytime outings. We’re swooning hard over this black fold-over clutch that’s just as versatile as it looks. Pro tip: Toss it into your work tote so you’ll always be ready for cocktails once five o’clock hits. Did we mention it’s decked out in party poms? Oh yeah.
21. ASOS New Look Straw Duffle Bag ($29): A wear-everywhere straw duffle bag is exactly what the doctor ordered for the girl on the go with a penchant for tomboy-chic sweatshirts and baseball caps. Toss this streamlined handbag on with denim overall shorts, a crop top and canvas sneakers for the ultimate busy-girl look. It’s that easy.
22. Sensi Studio Watermelon Tote ($330): Found it. After searching high and low for the perfect weekend tote — one that takes you from grabbing blooms at the corner flower shop to picnicking in the park — we’ve uncovered the quintessential beach bag that does it all. This handcrafted watermelon tote is perfect for stashing your favorite beach reads, snacks and a tablet for a work-cation in paradise. Oh, and it just so happens to bring the summatime vibes.
23. ASOS South Beach Woven Cross Body Bag ($33): No sand and surf required to sport this seasonal straw crossbody sac around town. With a white eyelet romper and conch shell necklace in tow, you’ll be ready for every outdoor music festival, beach luau and Taco Tuesday outing in your iCal.
24. ASOS South Beach Straw Clutch Bag ($16): This navy and pink half-moon straw clutch will look just as fly with boyfriend jeans and a silk blouse as one of your prized shoulder-baring dresses. Take it from an upcoming GNO to a networking function with some power pumps (and maybe a bold red lip) for a look that’s anything but business as usual.
25. Kayu Stellar Tote ($125): Channel a laid-back-chic look all day err’day with this star embroidered tote with tiki hut-inspired fringe. It doesn’t matter if you’re rocking a palm leaf printed co-ord for brunch with an oceanfront view or a date night-worthy LWD, this summery tote doesn’t mess around. Natural beach waves and a sun-kissed glow are non-negotiable for a look that stuns from a.m. to p.m.
26. Poolside Got Hot Sauce in My Bag, Swag Panier Marche Tote ($175): Slay, girl, slay! If it’s good enough for Queen Bey, then it’s more than good enough for us. For a seriously chic getup made for dipping your toes in the pool and showing off your crochet-trimmed bikini, you need this “hot sauce in my bag, swag” tote. Not only will it lend instant swagger to your look, but it’s roomy enough to stow away all your remote office essentials (and then some).
27. Cult Gaia Gaias Ark ($88): If this blogger-approved bamboo handbag by Cult Gaia wasn’t already on your radar, it is now. Enter the show-stopping picnic bag-inspired carryall you wish you would’ve discovered sooner. It looks just as ah-mazing with a Montauk-bound white eyelet dress as a sultry plunge-neck jumpsuit that’s ready to mix and mingle come after-hours.
Will you be investing in a straw tote this summer? Follow us on Pinterest for more style inspo!
Brit + Co may at times use affiliate links to promote products sold by others, but always offers genuine editorial recommendations.