Remember when you were in middle school in the 90s and you desperately wanted to add a Manic Panic blue streak to your hair? Or when Angela Chase on My So-Called Life busted out the Clairol and turned her hair from mousey brown to crimson? Happily, the 90s are back and so is the trend of adding bright bursts of color to your hair. But, we've gotten smarter. This time, fashionistas everywhere are using chalk pastels to achieve the same look, but just for a day or two.
- chalk pastels (not oil pastels!)
- flat iron or curling iron
First, dampen the parts of your hair that you want to color.
Then, take the chalk and rub it into the hair, just as you would color a piece of paper. Some pieces of your hair might stick up while you're doing it, but we'll take care of those in a minute.
Repeat this with all the pieces of hair you want to color.
To seal the color in, use a flat iron or curling iron over the section of hair you've just colored. If you want a less concentrated streak, use a blow dryer to fluff your hair a bit, and spread out the colored strands.
We, of course, like to keep things as bright and colorful as possible so we went with just the curling iron.
It's just a little burst of color, but it adds so much fun and playfulness to your typical look.
The chalking method is also great for adding a bit of color to classic hairstyles like the side fishtail braid and the sock bun. Don't be surprised if you see colored hair streaks popping up on the ladies of Brit & Co. in the coming weeks! ;)
We're also super excited to kick off our Buxom Photo Contest today!
Whether you're a gardener you grows the brightest tulips around, can't get enough of the neon eyeliner look, or love adding colorful pops to your home decor, the folks at Buxom want to know how you bring color into your life. And they want to reward you!
Here's how to enter:
1. Head to Flickr and upload a photo that displays you "living life vividly" along with a caption (200 characters or less) that describes the photo.
2. Tag it with this tag: BuxomPhotoContestHelloBrit
3. Be sure to mark the photo as public.
4. And then post a link to your photo in the comments below!
Winners will be judged on creativity and originality, the quality of your submission, and how well your photo displays you "living life vividly."
So, what do you get if you win?
- 1 $500 Visa Gift Card
- 2 Buxom Color Choreography eye shadow palettes
- 1 Buxom Big & Healthy Lip Polish
- 1 Buxom Lash Volumizing Mascara
- The contest is open to adults 18+ in the US only
- Contest ends on June 12th at 11:59pm Eastern Time
- Each person can enter up to 3 photos
- Prize retail value is $609
This series is brought to you by Buxom Color Choreography Eyeshadow. Buxom wants to inspire you to live life vividly.