The good ol’ Canadian tuxedo has been around forever, but it hasn’t always been executed so well (Britney and Justin, we’re looking at you). But, for as many times as it hasn’t worked, there are just as many where it has. Take the spring/summer 2015 runways for example — now that was some prime denim on denim. And don’t even get us started on the trendy street style, celeb and blogger outfits that are popping up left and right with denim front and center. The moral of this story? It’s time to embrace those tried-and-true blues from head to toe. Scroll on down for these 10 tips (and 30 awesome buys) to get it right.
Keep It Classic(ish)
For all you ladies new to the all-jean-everythang look, easing into is probably the best way to go. What does that entail exactly? The classic jeans and denim top getup. To keep the wack-factor down or avoid looking to matchy-matchy, pair up different washes and/or textures. (via Girl with Curves)
1. Madewell Rivet & Thread Chambray Peplum Tank ($98): Button-downs might be an essential, but we like to mix things up. This peplum tank is a fresh, feminine twist on the traditional chambray topper.
2. Banana Republic Denim Cropped Denim ($70): You still get points for doing double-duty denim even if you’re being all sneaky about it. Masquerading as a short-sleeve sweat, this cropped number subtly nails that one-fabric look.
3. Warehouse Denim Utility ($64): Sometimes you just can’t mess with a classic, especially where double denim is concerned.
Rock Those Shorts
If you thought the denim² fun had to stop when the temperatures start to heat up, think again. Thanks to those fabulous things known as “jorts,” you can double up on denim all year long. (via Man Repeller)
5. Blank Denim Fringe Shorts ($98): Now you can get your fringe and denim fix all at once with these festival-approved, fringe-trimmed shorts.
6. Aritzia Talula Okinawa Shorts ($60): Swap out that dark wash for this pair of baby blues for a more toned-down approach to your DD.
Sport a Stylin’ Jumpsuit
A jumpsuit is a lazy girl’s dream for effortless double-d dressing. One piece, and one seriously statement-making look. (via Carolines Mode)
7. Rachel Roy Smocked Denim Jumpsuit ($139): Who says you can’t go all-out denim for a night out? Pair this number with some strappy sandals and a statement necklace and you’ve got an on-point night-out look.
8. Selected Femme Jumpsuit ($140): This laid-back onesie is super versatile. Menswear-inspired steppers and an oversized outer layer will keep things feeling minimalist-chic, while classic pumps and a metallic belt have fierce femme written all over them.
9. Which We Want Paloma Romper ($88): For those warm days when you want to get your denim on but can’t bother with pulling together an ensemble, this romper is it.
Keep It All-Black Everything
If the amount of black in your closet rivals that of Karl Lagerfeld’s, double black denim is for you. Even if you love a little color in your life, this is a cool way to mix things up and can take your look to the next level. (via Polienne)
10. City Chic Acid Wash Denim Shirt Dress ($118): Double denim is definitely not a pants-only party. Shake things up in a dungaree dress to anchor that all-jean outfit.
11. Culpé Denim Shirt ($114): It’s got that classic button-down style, but traditional this top is not. Kimono-inspired sleeves and a boxy fit are the epitome of androgynous chic.
12. All Saints Fray Skirt ($140): Strike the perfect balance of dressed up and dressed down with a denim skirt in a classic shade of black.
Flaunt Indigo Outerwear
Once you’ve gotten your base layer down, give a piece of denim outerwear a try. Whether you rock it over that DD getup for a little triple-denim action or use it to complete your double-denim look, this unexpected topper is a must. (via Wendy’s Lookbook)
13. ASOS White Denim Printed Paneled Coat ($68): Various washes arranged to create a panel effect give this coat a modern, fashion-forward vibe, perfect for the girl that dares to be different.
14. BDG Chambray Drapey Bomber Jacket ($69): Bomber jackets are having a major moment. Dive into the trend with a chambray interpretation of the classic, edgy style.
15. Forever21 Washed Denim Trench Coat ($40): A closet staple gets a seriously stylish update with a washed denim construction that doesn’t compromise on functionality or timeless style.
Vest to Impress
A denim vest can give an outfit just as much oomph as a sleek leather number. Whether you choose to go with a boxy, ’80s-inspired style or an ultra-cool moto cut, a vest will definitely up your denim game. (via We Wore What)
16. Hei Hei Chambray Moto Vest ($138): Pair up this number with your favorite dark denim and a sleeveless top for a contemporary urban edge, or add it on to a flirty floral dress for instant wow-factor.
17. Old Navy Denim Vest ($32): This clean-cut style is a serious classic. It’s super versatile, so you can rock it with everything from a plain ol’ tee and your go-to trousers to a button-down and a full A-line skirt.
18. Denim & Supply Striped Vest ($55): Take that denim way back with a tailored, menswear-inspired blazer. A flowy, embroidered peasant top will take the getup down a more boho route, especially if there are cutoffs and some lace-up gladiators involved.
Embrace the Rainbow
Another easy way to ease into the whole denim-on-denim thing is to play around with color, even if it’s just plain old white or black. It’s almost impossible to go wrong this way. (via What I Wore)
19. J Brand Photo Ready Mid Rise Cropped Rail Jeans ($134): Okay, not as subtle as white, but totally and fun and fresh. This lemony-lime hue will brighten up that DD ensemble STAT.
20. Mango Pink Denim Jacket ($60): Pretty and pink, this pale shade of rose is ideal for softening a jean-on-jean look.
21. Carven Floral Print Denim Skirt ($221): Take your fave denim mini from back in the day and amp it up about 10 notches and you’ll get this colorful, floral (and more grown-up) number.
Go Ultra Femme
For some serious throwback style, dress up your double denim with a flouncy, A-line midi. (Ali MacGraw would totally approve.) A button-front will really nail that ’70s vibe, but for something a little more of-the-moment, embrace unexpected prints and paneling. (via Who What Wear)
22. Halogen Pleat Denim Skirt ($47): Low-lying pleats introduce a playful flair to this classic A-line skirt. The simple style can easily be dressed up for an evening out or down to hit up your favorite weekend hangout spot.
23. Steven Alan Azalea Skirt ($158): Tie dye isn’t just for those with bohemian-style sensibilities. This skirt proves that the free-wheelin’ print can roll with likes of even the most sartorially discerning ladies.
24. Levi’s Vintage Clothing Flared Denim Skirt ($228): This timeless style will take you from the double-denim-wearing days of summer (just imagine it with a corresponding crop top or sleeveless chambray button-down) straight through to the cooler months. We’re thinking it’ll make a pretty fab companion for your arsenal of cozy knits.
Get (Pencil) Skirted
A pencil skirt is how sassy ladies do double denim. None of that tomboy business here — this is all about flaunting what you’ve got. And girlllll, doesn’t it look good? (via 360 Nobs)
25. One Teaspoon Cobain Cadillac Skirt ($129): As much as you love them, if you’re in need of a vacation from your boyfriend jeans, a destroyed denim pencil skirt makes a truly game-changing substitute. You’ll be wondering why you didn’t think of it sooner.
26. Dorothy Perkins Indigo Pencil Skirt ($38): Darker washes are the go-to choice for after-hours denim, and this saucy skirt is no different. The midnight hue has date night written all over it.
27. Paige Denim Deirdre Skirt ($169): Spice up your Canadian tuxedo with an unexpected shade of cobalt blue. Go with white denim options on top to keep the outfit feeling contemporary and ready for spring.
Opt for Overalls
And of course we can’t talk about jeans-on-jeans without mentioning a pair of overalls. When pulling together an all-denim ensemble with these babies, it’s best to go for different washes and weights. A matching denim top has the potential to take the look from chic to “heading to the garage,” if you catch our drift. (via Cuillère à Absinthe)
28. Forever21 Distressed Bib Overalls ($33): The ultimate in off-duty, these destroyed denim overalls are just asking for a sleeveless indigo button-down or tee.
29. Levi’s Shortalls ($50): When you’re ready to ditch those long layers for something a little more on the lighter side, make sure to throw these striped shortalls into the mix.
30. Lucky Brand Beach Cutoff Skirtall ($70): How to rock two times the denim with skirtalls? A dark chambray top and booties or your favorite pair of platform sandals.
Do you wear double denim? Share your favorite way to style it or tell us about an unexpected look you love in the comments!
(Feature image via 360 Nobs)