While 2017 has certainly seen its fair share of beauty trends, ranging from wearable to WTF, 2018 is about to blow it out of the water. According to the latest Pinterest data, there is a slew of popular beauty buys, styles, and trends from 2017 that will totally dominate the new year. Below, the top ten beauty trends that will take over your feed — and makeup bag — in 2018.
1. Luscious Lashes: The quest for lengthy lashes has *always* been a thing, but Pinterest searches for “lashes” increased by 152% in 2017. Luckily, falsies, lash serums, lash extensions, lash tinting, and even lash perms, offer more options than ever for hopping on this beauty bandwagon.
2. The Oil Solution: Long gone are the days of exclusively using “oil free” products. Oil-based formulas have sky-rocketed in popularity due their deeply moisturizing properties and ability to provide that oh-so-coveted dewy glow — even for acne prone skin, which some oils (including argan) can actually regulate. For this reason, expect to spot an influx of oil-based cleansers, moisturizers, and shampoos in the coming year. The search for “cleansing oil” alone shot up by a whopping 555% on Pinterest in 2017.
3. Foundation Formulations 2.0: 2017 may have been a year of highs and (super) lows for a number of reasons, but we’re happy to report that the search for “complexion matching”— as in foundation matching for a plethora of skin colors — rose by 387% this year. No doubt the new, vast shade ranges from brands like Fenty Beauty got everyone into the long overdue spirit of inclusivity. 2018 will likely be the year for an increasing number of cosmetics brands to follow suit.
4. New Hair Heights: New year, new hair? The saved pins for “pixie” and “long hair” rose by 130%. Translation: buh bye, bobs.
5. (Nail) Art Deco: Over the top nail art is being replaced by its subtler, cooler cousin: The Negative Space mani. The search for “geometric nails” rose by 83% in 2017. With all of the DIY hacks for recreating geo-inspired nail art, we expect this trend to take over the 2018 nail scene.
6. The Eighties Eye: So long, subtlety… at least when it comes to eye makeup. “Bright eyeshadow” created quite the stir this year, with a 63% search increase on Pinterest. We’re also seeing this trend reflected in an array of new brightly pigmented palettes hitting the market.
7. You See Me (Derma) Rollin’: If you’ve gotten a facial in the past few months: A) lucky you! B) You’ve probably experienced the cooling bliss of a dermaroller — whether it was of the quartz or the jade variety. These soothing, depuffing facial tools are becoming a must-have for any skincare junkie’s toolkit, as evidenced by the phenomenal 345% increase in searches this year alone.
8. One and Done Kits: 2017 seemed to be the year of product launch after product launch. Not that we’re complaining, but a million and a half palettes for a zillion areas of the face can get a wee bit overwhelming; perhaps that’s why Pinterest searches for “makeup kit” increased by 147% this year. 2018 is set up to be a big year for curated beauty packages with easy to follow, no-fuss tutorials.
9. Just Bitten Lip Flush: Matte lips aren’t going anywhere in 2018, but the trend will likely pare down with simpler formulas. “Lip tint” Pinterest saves skyrocketed by 414% this year. Translation: expect subtler, more long-lasting matte stains in your future.
10. Swim Fan: No time to blow dry your locks? You’re already halfway to one of the biggest hair trends of 2018. Wet-looking, slicked styles, as well as their curly counterparts (think perms!) are making a major comeback for the new year. There was a 166% increase search for “slicked back” and “wavy” styles.
Follow us on Pinterest for 2018 beauty trend inspo!
(Images via Pinterest)