Why Oil Should Be Your Skincare Secret + How to Use It in Your Beauty Routine
We’ve been hearing a lot lately about the value of adding oil to our beauty routines. Maybe you’ve already gotten on the oil-pulling bandwagon, or perhaps you’ve long been convinced of the powers of essential oils, but now it’s time to introduce your face to the benefits of natural oils. We’ve already shared some fabulous beauty oils with you, but know that getting started can be a little overwhelming. So we chatted with our girl Andrea Breitman, skincare expert and blogger behind The Golden Belle, on how exactly to get started in the oil game.
First off, it’s important to keep in mind that oil is for everyone. “Those with oily skin shouldn’t shy away from using oil on their skin,” Breitman says, “But they should seek out lightweight oils that contain pure organic plant oils.” And while oil has gotten a bad rep when it comes to skin care, Breitman is here to change that. “Many of my clients spend their days trying to strip the oils off of their skin in the hopes of achieving the perfect matte look. The important thing to remember is the more you throw off the balance of oil on your skin, the more oil you will produce. So for many clients, using an oil will actually help balance the oil that your skin produces and will help to remedy an oily skin condition.” She recommends argan, jojoba, rosehip, calendula and chia oils for all skin types.
So why add oil to your beauty routine? Breitman also reports that oils are a great way to provide nutrients and vitamins to your skin that other products are probably missing. “The detoxifying agents in many oils can diminish fine lines and wrinkles, making way for a healthy complexion,” she explains. Moisturizing, all-natural and nutrient-rich? We’re in! See below for a few key products Breitman recommends to help introduce oil into your daily regimen.
Unfortunately, most makeup and products are not water soluble. That’s why oil cleansers are the way to go. “Other makeup removers have harsh chemicals to strip off makeup that strip your skin of essential oils at the same time,” Breitman says. Using oil as a makeup remover is great for keeping the sensitive skin under your eyes nice and hydrated. Breitman reports that most skin types can use oil cleanser as the only cleanser, especially during winter months. If you don’t like the feeling of oil on your skin after washing your face, she recommends doubling with a gentle cleanser afterward.
1. NUDE Perfect Cleansing Oil for Face + Eyes ($36): This omega-packed cleanser eliminates all impurities and even the toughest waterproof makeup without stripping the skin of essential moisture. It’ll leave skin feeling soft, moisturized and oh-so clean.
2. AmorePacific Treatment Cleansing Oil ($50): This is one of Breitman’s favorites for removing makeup. It dissolves everything it touches and hydrates the skin at the same time.
Another great way to add oil into your beauty routine is to replace your moisturizer with a hydrating oil. Breitman warns that you may have to wash your pillowcase more often, but slathering all-natural oil instead of lotion on your face before bed can have serious benefits. It’ll keep your skin happy, healthy and chemical-free.
3. Simplers Botanicals Argan Oil ($17): Not just for your hair, this argan oil is packed with vitamin E and is perfect after a day in the sun. Breitman recommends packing it in your beach bag or purse for an easy and accessible moisturizer.
4. Indie Lee’s Squalane Oil ($32): Guaranteed to work wonders on all skin types, this facial oil improves texture and tone, diminishes age spots and boosts cell regeneration. Sold!
Now that you’ve got your beautiful oil base, it’s time to reach for some other oil-infused products for your face. Breitman says that these products will help keep you moisturized, fresh-faced and glowing. Plus they’re much better for you than those chemical-filled alternatives out there.
5. Touch In Sol One Second Vivid Lip Crayon ($16): This lip color packs a combination of macadamia, apricot, grape seed, rosehip and avocado oils to leave lips perfectly moisturized. And that bright red hue just screams #girlboss.
6. Physicians Formula Ultra-Nourishing Argan Oil Blush ($13): It doesn’t get better than this drugstore steal. Add nourishing argan oil to your skin while adding color to your cheeks all at the same time.
7. Josie Maran Argan Color Stick ($22): Add color and nutrients to your cheeks and lips with this stick that comes in five brilliant colors.
How have you added oil to your beauty regimen? We’d love to hear about your favorite products!