For many of us, 2017 was a doozy, but we here at Brit + Co are ready to hit refresh in 2018! Follow our Hit Refresh series through January for new ideas, hacks, and skills that will help you achieve (and maintain!) those New Year’s resolutions.
If accessing your creative side is one of your priorities for this year, it’s important to have plenty of inspiration on hand to keep you feeling encouraged in all projects you decide to pursue. Whether you want to polish your creative writing skills or DIY chic necklaces, it will only pay off to have some extra creative wisdom behind you. Keep reading for 10 quotes about creativity that will motivate you even when you’re in the post-holiday slump.
1. “Creativity is intelligence having fun.” Take your smarts and add a little whimsy! As you pursue creative challenges this year, don’t be afraid to be silly and have fun. When you begin to take yourself too seriously, you can limit the scope of your ideas.
2. “I feel there is nothing more artistic than loving people.” Building meaningful relationships is just as much an artistic outlet as painting or music — the great artist Vincent van Gogh said so himself. If you’re still figuring out your creative strengths, start with the people you love. Look for opportunities to thoughtfully and creatively express yourself to them. It will be a great way to practice taking a fresh approach to things!
3. “You can’t use up creativity. The more you use, the more you have.” As soon as you start to believe that the bounds of your creativity are limited, you may start making excuses for not getting started on new projects and endeavors. Trust your potential for endless creativity. You’ve got this, girl.
4. “Thinking ‘here goes nothing’ could be the start of everything.” Getting started with something new and creative is often just a matter of jumping in and not overthinking it. If you have an idea, stop questioning and analyzing, and just do it! Having the confidence to simply give it a try could lead to your next awesome accomplishment.
5. “Working hard for something we don’t care about is called stress. Working hard for something we love is called passion.” Stay tuned into where you’re directing your energy. If you’re feeling more work stress than usual, consider balancing out those negative vibes by investing extra effort in a creative passion. Unfortunately, some stress is probably unavoidable, but it may be possible to improve your headspace by also working hard at something that’s genuinely important to you.
6. “Your own reasons to make are reason enough. Create whatever causes a revolution in your heart.” You don’t need to justify your passions to anyone, and if you feel inspired to pursue something creative, there’s no reason to rationalize it. Your interest (and Elizabeth Gilbert‘s blessing) is reason enough to go forward!
7. “There’s the whole world at your feet.” Who better to take advice from than everyone’s favorite whimsical nanny? Let’s all remember Mary Poppins’ words of encouragement any time we sense boundaries to our creativity and achievement.
8. “The worst enemy to creativity is self-doubt.” The first rule of being creative? Stop questioning yourself. Constantly doubting your ideas and abilities could cause you to hold back your passions from the world — and it would be a shame for the world to miss out on what you can create!
9. “Find three hobbies you love: one to make you money, one to keep you in shape and one to be creative.” We love this quote because it’s a great reminder that finding a hobby that allows you to be creative is just as important as paying the bills and staying fit. Keep this advice in mind as you start making goals and plans for the rest of the year. Pursuing good health and a promotion are great resolutions, but it’s just as important to build time into your routine for creative expression.
10. “Creativity takes courage.” Be brave! Only you can take the first steps toward making creativity a priority in the coming months. Don’t be afraid to set yourself apart from others by chasing your passions and interests.
What words inspire you to be creative? Tweet us @BritandCo!
(Design: Rosee Canfield)