10 Lazy Girl Ways to Be Your Healthiest Self
Scary physical conditions like adrenal fatigue affect a number of healthy-seeming young women nowadays. Between working too many hours each week, keeping up with friends and dating app matches, rushing to the gym on the regular AND staying on top of everyone’s social feeds, it can all be a bit too much. To avoid letting yourself stray even further from what *actually* makes you feel good, we came up with 10 super easy things you can do to be healthier with minimal effort. With just a few minutes each day, you can totally hit pause and start trending in a better direction.
1. Taste the rainbow. Nope, we’re not talking about Skittles or pride-themed Pinterest treats — just plain fruits and veggies here. Not only will eating them in a wide range of colors help with your digestion and energy, but it’ll also give you amazing skin. Get creative with your salads, smoothies, yogurt bowls, desserts and more. Yum!
2. Spend more time with your squad. Did you know that hanging out with friends is actually proven to boost your mood? Studies show that spending time with the right people is one of the easiest ways to be happier. Happiness is closely correlated with overall health, so give your BFFs a call!
3. Soak up the sun. Put on your sunscreen and get outside for optimal health. Make time for a walk at lunch, get off your train or bus early, or make it a point to spend just 10 minutes outdoors each day. Does your company have a sunlit space to work from or let you bring your laptop outside? Take advantage of it! The rays will give you a small dose of vitamin D, which is a proven mood enhancer.
4. Do what you love. Carving out time to do the things you love is *so* important for your health, as it helps keep you balanced and feel satisfied. Whether you’re booked solid with your latest Bumble matches or are in the end of chaotic quarter at work, be sure to schedule 20 minutes a day for yourself and your craft. Use your hands, turn some pages, do whatever you need for some you time.
5. Crank up the tunes. Neuroscientists have found that jamming out to music directly correlates with positive emotion, as it stimulates dopamine, which makes us feel GREAT. All you need to do for a quick boost is turn on your latest Spotify playlist or fave new release.
6. Move a little bit more. Exercise has been called a “miracle drug,” with benefits that range from healthy organs to a longer life. The best news? You don’t have to go Classpass crazy to get its best benefits. Studies show that 150 minutes of “moderate” exercise per week is all it takes, so make a real effort to do fun activities that get you moving for 20 minutes every day.
7. Be more grateful. Appreciating what you have will instantly make you happier, and practicing gratitude has a number of physical health benefits too. Science shows that it can help you get better sleep, reduce stress levels AND give your immune system a major boost. So take a look around and a moment to give thanks for the awesome stuff happening in your life.
8. Drink more water. Hydrate, hydrate, hydrate! Making sure you get enough H20 is one of the easiest ways to be healthier. Giving your body 64 ounces a day will help regulate your body temp, cleanse toxins, help your cardiovascular health and so much more. Find drinking a ton of water tough? Try adding some fun flavors or sipping through a straw.
9. Recharge, rest, repeat. Recharging after a long day or crazy couple of weeks is essential for good health. While readjusting your schedule to get more sleep is an obvious solution, you can also recharge in mini doses by taking time for yourself when you need it, meditating (we love the Headspace app!) or even practicing yoga.
10. Treat yourself! Like listening to music, rewarding yourself releases dopamine, the feel-good brain chemical that increases positive emotion and keeps you motivated. Whether your treat is cupcake tasting, wine night, a new workout top, a trip or a night in to paint your toenails, remember that you deserve it just because. It’s totally okay to spoil yourself every now and then for no reason at all.
Which lazy girl health hacks will you try? Are there some you do regularly already? Tell us about it on Twitter @BritandCo!
(Photos via Getty)