10 Ways to Style a Cardigan
Baby, it’s downright cold outside. With that in mind, this week’s edition of 10 Ways to Style is all about the cardigan, an essential winter staple. From tying it up around your waist to turning it into a sweet strapless top, you’re sure to find a new way to rock your cardi in this playful collection of looks.
Oh, and you can feel free to cue up Lovefool by… The Cardigans ;)
1. East Coast Prepster: This look comes straight from Nantucket on a crisp fall day. Keeps your shoulders warm and acts as an extra layer when you need it.
3. Be My Valentine: This one makes us wish Valentine’s Day was even closer! Tuck that cardigan into a belt for a layered look that still shows off your fab figure.
4. Strapless Sweetheart: That’s right. We turned our cardigan into a tube top with a look that reminds us of a sweetheart neckline. Put the cardigan on backwards and pull it down so that neck is around the top of your chest. Tie the sleeves around the front and you’re done.
5. Buttoned Up Mini: And now a skirt! This works really nicely with our cardigan because it has a v-neck that fits right around the waist. Tie the sleeves around your waist and tuck excess sleeve into your newly made waistband and you’re set.
6. Patriotic Party Dress: We think Michelle Obama would approve of this rather patriotic look. We simply tied our cardigan up over a dress to give it a playful look, while still keeping things formal enough for cocktail hour.
7. Hipster Librarian: Wait a minute, isn’t “hipster librarian” kind of an oxymoron at this point? The cardigans, the oxfords, the knit beanies? Love this look.
8. Stripes + Shrug: If you’re wearing a long summer dress, warm it up by turning a cardigan into a shrug. Simply unbutton the cardigan, pull the sides around to the back and pin up.
9. Skirt It Up: Another skirt! For this one we went more high-waisted and tucked everything in with a belt. Digging this bomber jacket.
10. Cozy Cowl: And finally, rock your cardigan as a cowl!
And if you’re lucky, you can get one of your charming coworkers to pose with you too!
Such a perfect look for Valentine’s Day!
How do you rock a cardigan in unusual ways? Got any other clothing hacks we should know about? Or any items you want to see styled 10 ways? Talk to us in the comments below.
Back in January, we introduced you to a feel-good cause to inspire your New Year's resolution: a walking challenge to help raise funds for the amazing cancer fighters at The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society. I took part in the challenge with the Brit + Co team and ended up walking 105+ miles in January — it was awesome.
This spring, there's a new challenge on the horizon, The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society's Big Climb. The ask: On May 15, 2021, you can step up to take cancer down by committing to climb 1,311 steps, walking 3.2 miles, or doing 440 chair step-ups at home as part of the Big Climb. If you need some motivation to bring movement back into your daily routine — look no further!
As always, it's free to sign up, but climbers are encouraged to set a fundraising goal to help beat cancer. We'll be organizing another Brit + Co team to step up, and I hope you'll join us too! Keep scrolling for a peek at where I'll be completing the challenge in my Los Angeles neighborhood around the hidden Silver Lake Stairs. Happy climbing!
Never underestimate the power of an accountability buddy! I asked my in-laws, my partner, and a few friends to join me so we can keep each other motivated and accountable in completing the challenge — virtual high-fives all around! Also, my dog Fox is a great climber, too.
An aesthetically pleasing backdrop is a huge motivator for me! I'm fortunate to have all sorts of painted steps around my neighborhood to keep the challenge interesting, but you can also keep cool inside with at-home chair step-ups.
Don't forget to share your progress on social — #BigClimb!
Feel free to break the challenge up if you need to by tackling half the distance in the AM and half at sunset. Here's me 1,311 steps later and ready for a break — but, think I earned this one!