This week, we're all about savory deliciousness with a sprinkle of sweet. Maybe it's the Oscars that have us feeling like classics with a twist, or Mardi Gras with all of its sugary celebration, or perhaps it's simply that, like Paula Abdul, we love when opposites attract. All of these recipes would take your Oscar shindig to the next level, and could also make for a perfect spring brunch soiree.
2. Sweet Potato, Ricotta & Arugula Flatbread: Ricotta always plays a leading role in dishes that combine sweet and savor. We've got a weakness for flatbreads and pizzas that throw fresh flavorful greens on top, and the combination of slightly bitter arugula with sweet, creamy sweet potato is oh-so-delicious. (Recipe and photo: The Kitchn)
3. Butternut Squash Shooters: Adorable? Yes. Involving Brie? Yes. What more do you need to know? Soup shooters are an easy wonderful hors d'oeuvres, and adding a grilled brie crouton is a definite pro move. (Recipe and photo: The Realistic Nutritionist)
4. Mulligatawny with Pear & Pomegranate Seeds: Another soup that combines savory and sweet, we love this twist on Mulligatawny featuring pomegranate seeds, mint, and cream. Bonus points if you can name the 90s sitcom that brought this soup into pop culture. (Recipe and photo: Heather Christo Cooks)
5. Chestnut, Stilton & Pear Salad: Chestnuts roasting on an open fire… Chestnuts are delicious and roasting them in the oven is actually pretty simple. Peeling them takes a bit of patience (and maybe the latest episode of Modern Family) but is worth it. For an appetizer-style twist on this recipe, we recommend serving the chestnuts, stilton and pear in a lettuce cup or wrap! (Recipe and photo: Hungry Native)
6. Mini Chicken N' Waffles: You could probably eat this for breakfast every day and be a seriously happy camper, but we think this dish is better served as one of many delectable bites at your next dinner party. Plus, you know we love going mini! (Recipe and photo: Apples and Onions)
7. Chariots of Fire Popcorn: We couldn't resist tooting our own horn a little bit. This recipe will take you right back to the movies, complete with Cinnamon Red Hots and buttery popcorn. (Recipe and photo: Brit)
8. Devils on Horseback: Bacon-wrapped dates are pretty much the ultimate sweet-meets-savory combo. Stuff the date with a little goat cheese, sprinkle a little brown sugar on the bacon, and you've likely met your match for the night. (Recipe and photo: The Kitchy Kitchen)
9. Crispy Coconut Shrimp with Strawberry Dip: We love this take on coconut shrimp! The strawberry dip is delightful, and the combo almost makes it a contender for a savory dessert. (Recipe and photo: Mississippi Kitchen)
10. Spicy Cocoa Roasted Carrots: Cocoa and carrots? Surprisingly delicious, smokey and spicy! We recommend whipping up a dipping sauce of cinnamon, ricotta, and bit of cream. Yum. (Recipe and photo: Urban Poser)
11. Apple Brie Stuffed French Toast: Sure, this is on the breakfast-y side of things, but a platter of apple brie french toast bites would certainly be welcome at any dinner party we plan on attending. Goes perfectly with the mini chicken n' waffles! In fact, maybe a breakfast themed appetizer menu is in order? (Recipe and photo: BS' In The Kitchen)
12. Spiced Rosemary Chocolate Chip Cookies: Not exactly a starter but… we really really really love these herby sweet spicy cookies. We think these would make some mean ice cream cookie cups! ;) (Recipe and photo: Bitter Sweet)
Stay tuned for our take on sweet-meets-savory starters later this week! And if you've got a recipe to share, leave us a note in the comments below or find us on Twitter.