7 Fun Ways to Travel More Colorfully
People love exploring the world so much that they say they’d take a pay cut to travel more — and who can blame them when there are so many colorful places in the world to experience, amazing boutique hotels you’ll never want to leave, and scorching-hot flight deals? Whether you decide to head off for a repeat trip that feels like a brand-new adventure or splash into somewhere new, we love the idea of trying to travel more colorfully as a way to push yourself outside of your usual habits when playing tourist. Scroll on for seven ways you can challenge yourself to see things a little bit differently while setting yourself up for some majorly awesome photo ops.
1. Hit up the splashiest hot spots. Whether it’s a popular mural, brightly colored street, or field of blooming flowers, spend a little bit of time searching on Google or Pinterest for the best place to score a colorful background for your photos. Stuck with visiting something you’ve uncovered on a cloudy day? Don’t worry about it or, worse, skip out on it — some of the most memorable sights actually look better against a white or grey sky.
2. Catch a sunrise and a sunset. Is there anything more magical than seeing the sky lit up like a watercolor painting? Whether you’re itching to see a golden sunrise or a pastel sunset, be sure to check the time for each, then position yourself in the best possible spot to witness the light show. Heart eyes!
3. Accessorize with a pop of color. You might be more of a neutrals-loving type, but adding a colorful accessory to your #OOTD is an ultra-fun way to add a bold hue to your look (and your photos!). If a backpack, big bag, or bright shoes (we love these colorful, sparkly Keds!) feels like too much for you, try a small cross-body bag that’ll hold all of your basics.
4. Order the most vibrant thing on the menu. Sampling local cuisine is one of the best things about visiting a new place. Instead of going for a more standard dish, challenge yourself to order one of the most colorful items on the menu, be it a salad with tons of ingredients, a heaping plate of fruits and veggies, or a bright drink or decadent dessert that’s impossible to resist. If you’re not sure what might fit the bill, ask your server for their most colorful and delicious picks. Yummy!
5. Mail a multicolored missive. Sending a postcard is an easy way to let your friends and fam know you love and miss ‘em, so handpick a few faves to send during your travels to share your colorful experience. Add a little something extra with a brightly colored local stamp if you can. They’ll be so happy when it arrives in the mail.
6. Decorate your suitcase. Not only will decking out your suitcase with brights help you recognize it super easily, but your baggage can also serve as a reminder to maintain your intentional, vibrant spirit through the duration of your entire adventure. Not sure how to make your bag shine bright? To start, snap up a colorful carryall. Not ready to upgrade your standard black bag? We promise it’ll still stand out with an ultra-fun luggage tag, ribbons, and bows.
7. Pick out chromatic souvenirs. Bring your mission to travel more colorfully back home and into your daily life by searching for bright souvenirs like jewelry, pouches, coffee table books, art prints, or wine bottles with vibrant labels. Display your new treasures in places where they’ll make you smile and spark conversation with anyone who sees them.
How do you travel colorfully? Show us your pics by tagging us on Instagram!
Brit + Co may at times use affiliate links to promote products sold by others, but always offers genuine editorial recommendations.
(Photos via Getty)
Fall is right around the corner, and we're getting amped up for our next session of Selfmade, Brit + Co's 10-week interactive startup school. Designed to help you create a new business or grow your existing one, this course is personally led by Brit + Co founder Brit Morin and co-founder Anjelika Temple, and supported by more than a dozen of the top female entrepreneurs, creatives, and investors in the country. Students receive personalized coaching on everything from how to get out of your comfort zone to how to scale your business, and everything in between. And now, thanks to Office Depot, even more of you can join the course!
For the fall session, we're thrilled to team up with Office Depot to grant 200 FREE scholarship seats to the course. Scholarships are open to US residents, focusing on women of color, women from underserved and underrepresented communities, and women in need of support to help them trail-blaze. After all, we firmly believe that your support system is a huge part of how you achieve greatness, and we are here to cheer all of you on.
To nominate yourself or someone you know for a scholarship, head to our nomination form right here. The deadline for scholarship nominations is September 27th — it's time to take the leap!
Beyond the scholarship, Office Depot is all about helping you accomplish more. Whether it be the start phase, growth phase or keep businesses going phase, Office Depot offers a full suite of business solutions, including services and products, to help you work from anywhere, organize and save time and help build your brand.
So what are you waiting for? Take a chance on yourself and get yourself one step closer to truly being selfmade. Learn more about the Selfmade program, apply for a scholarship and prepare to be inspired :)