7 Fun Ways to Travel More Colorfully
People love exploring the world so much that they say they’d take a pay cut to travel more — and who can blame them when there are so many colorful places in the world to experience, amazing boutique hotels you’ll never want to leave, and scorching-hot flight deals? Whether you decide to head off for a repeat trip that feels like a brand-new adventure or splash into somewhere new, we love the idea of trying to travel more colorfully as a way to push yourself outside of your usual habits when playing tourist. Scroll on for seven ways you can challenge yourself to see things a little bit differently while setting yourself up for some majorly awesome photo ops.
1. Hit up the splashiest hot spots. Whether it’s a popular mural, brightly colored street, or field of blooming flowers, spend a little bit of time searching on Google or Pinterest for the best place to score a colorful background for your photos. Stuck with visiting something you’ve uncovered on a cloudy day? Don’t worry about it or, worse, skip out on it — some of the most memorable sights actually look better against a white or grey sky.
2. Catch a sunrise and a sunset. Is there anything more magical than seeing the sky lit up like a watercolor painting? Whether you’re itching to see a golden sunrise or a pastel sunset, be sure to check the time for each, then position yourself in the best possible spot to witness the light show. Heart eyes!
3. Accessorize with a pop of color. You might be more of a neutrals-loving type, but adding a colorful accessory to your #OOTD is an ultra-fun way to add a bold hue to your look (and your photos!). If a backpack, big bag, or bright shoes (we love these colorful, sparkly Keds!) feels like too much for you, try a small cross-body bag that’ll hold all of your basics.
4. Order the most vibrant thing on the menu. Sampling local cuisine is one of the best things about visiting a new place. Instead of going for a more standard dish, challenge yourself to order one of the most colorful items on the menu, be it a salad with tons of ingredients, a heaping plate of fruits and veggies, or a bright drink or decadent dessert that’s impossible to resist. If you’re not sure what might fit the bill, ask your server for their most colorful and delicious picks. Yummy!
5. Mail a multicolored missive. Sending a postcard is an easy way to let your friends and fam know you love and miss ‘em, so handpick a few faves to send during your travels to share your colorful experience. Add a little something extra with a brightly colored local stamp if you can. They’ll be so happy when it arrives in the mail.
6. Decorate your suitcase. Not only will decking out your suitcase with brights help you recognize it super easily, but your baggage can also serve as a reminder to maintain your intentional, vibrant spirit through the duration of your entire adventure. Not sure how to make your bag shine bright? To start, snap up a colorful carryall. Not ready to upgrade your standard black bag? We promise it’ll still stand out with an ultra-fun luggage tag, ribbons, and bows.
7. Pick out chromatic souvenirs. Bring your mission to travel more colorfully back home and into your daily life by searching for bright souvenirs like jewelry, pouches, coffee table books, art prints, or wine bottles with vibrant labels. Display your new treasures in places where they’ll make you smile and spark conversation with anyone who sees them.
How do you travel colorfully? Show us your pics by tagging us on Instagram!
Brit + Co may at times use affiliate links to promote products sold by others, but always offers genuine editorial recommendations.
(Photos via Getty)