Even though taking cute photos of touristy spots is high on our to-do list when we travel to a new place, we also do our best to balance our trip by experiencing as much of the local culture as possible. That’s why we’re super excited for Airbnb’s new suite of “Inside the World of Hollywood” experiences that make it easier for out-of-towners to explore the City of Angels like a local. Hosted by high-profile Hollywood stars, including award-winning costume designer Janie Bryant and Dancing With the Stars‘ Sasha Farber and Emma Slater, these eight unique experiences take patrons across LA in search of the most in-the-know places in the fashion, dance, writing, and comedy spaces with knowledgeable celebs as their guides. Below are eight of new Airbnb experiences that we’re putting on our Los Angeles bucket list. Watch out, Hollywood!
1. Shop with TV costume designer Janie Bryant ($258). Join award-winning designer Janie Bryant, who has designed for Mad Men, The Last Tycoon, and HBO’s Deadwood, on a unique experience through one of Hollywood’s iconic costume shops. In this once-in-a-lifetime experience, guests will follow Bryant on a tour of Western Costume to browse the goods and learn all about Janie’s interesting creative process. After a quick breakfast, guests will be invited to go shopping with a $150 Unique Vintage voucher, complete with a personal style session. (Photo via Airbnb)
2. Dance with Hollywood choreographer Kenny Ortega ($193). Best known for his work in Dirty Dancing, Pretty in Pink, Ferris Bueller’s Day Off, and Hocus Pocus, join Kenny Ortega at EDGE Performing Arts Center to learn all of the moves of an iconic dance routine (trust us; you’ll be having the time of your lives). Along with a candid chat about Ortega’s film career, you’ll learn what it’s really like being a choreographer in Hollywood.
3. Learn to ballroom dance with Hollywood stars Sasha Farber and Emma Slater ($258). This newly engaged couple met while working on Dancing With the Stars; now they’re opening up their world to the public with a brand new Airbnb experience. Ballroom pros Farber and Slater start the experience off with a private dance class where they’ll choreograph a routine to the song of your choice (umm… Taylor Swift’s new single, please). After an exclusive look at show costumes and set secrets, you’ll be given your own costumes and will be directed in a ballroom dancing photoshoot and a fun performance of your routine at the Millennium Dance Complex in Los Angeles. (Photo via ABC)
4. See LA from above ($771). See the City of Angels like only few can by joining host Robin as he teaches guests how to get movie-ready shots from inside a helicopter. Guests will first prepare by learning Robin’s tricks of the trade for shooting aerial footage for films and TV at Tomorrow’s Aeronautical Museum. Then it’s time to buckle up as they’ll take everything they’ve learned into the field for a scenic helicopter ride that lasts for more than an hour.
5. Get creative in the writer’s room ($256). Spend a high-energy afternoon with Kevin, a professional TV writer who has written for Fox’s The Chicago Code and Lie to Me, to learn the ins and outs of script writing. Meeting at a hip café on Sunset Boulevard, guests will get custom bibliotherapy (AKA a personal book recommendation based on the obstacle they’re currently facing in life) while they drink adult beverages and discuss the craft of TV writing. After moving to the enclave of Topanga to catch the sunset, guests will travel to Kevin’s yurt in the Santa Monica mountains to create an episode of television from start to finish.
6. Hear Hollywood sounds ($97). If you’re interested in learning about the interesting practice of Foley art, there’s no better teacher than four-time Emmy nominee Adam (he’s currently working on Orange Is the New Black, New Girl, and The Middle). Beginning with a tour of his home studio and prop collection, Adam will detail the history of Foley — AKA the reproduction of everyday sounds that are added in post-production. After a quick history lesson, guests will get to shoot a fun short film and use props to create different sounds inside his studio. (Photo via Airbnb)
7. Become a reality TV pro ($193). Seth, your host for this experience, has been working in reality television for 15 years on shows like Extreme Makeover: Home Edition and Little People, Big World. In this Airbnb experience, Seth walks guests through the nitty gritty of what really happens behind the scenes as producers are trying to put a reality television show together. With a complimentary Moleskine notebook to brainstorm new ideas with, join your crew for a gourmet farm-to-table meal along the Venice Beach Canals to get valuable feedback on your reality television ideas from the pros.
8. Take a Comedy Bureau ride along ($110). Spend a night on the town in LA’s hot comedy scene with the creator of The Comedy Bureau. Your host, Jake, will take you to the trendiest in-the-know shows with covers and transportation provided. Even though the schedule is subject to change depending on the which headlining comedians are performing that night, we can almost guarantee that this once-in-a-lifetime experience will have you ROFL before you head back to your day-job.
Would you use an Airbnb experience to explore LA like a local? Tweet us by mentioning @BritandCo.
Brit + Co may at times use affiliate links to promote products sold by others, but always offers genuine editorial recommendations.