Everything You Need for a Winter Skin Detox
Cold weather is no joke when it comes to our skin (be gone, dull complexion!) and finding the perfect winter makeup hack can only get you so far. What you need, my dears, is a comprehensive skin detox!
Introducing The Beauty Fix — a one stop destination that will provide you with go-to solutions for all things beauty. To start things off, let’s take a deeper dive into the rituals, products and practices that will help boost your complexion.
The Skin Detox PLAN
- Mantra: Breathe + Smile: Go ahead, and DO IT. Breathe in…… and out…. and ahhhhh! It’s not new information about the many benefits of mindful breathing when it comes to stress release. Deep breaths and smiles release endorphins — but did you know it can change your complexion? Smiling helps your appearance on a deeper level by stimulating the capillaries in the face, which improves circulation and brings oxygen to your skin (via Zenmed).
- Exfoliate: DIY Activated Charcoal Face Scrub: Turn your kitchen into a beauty lab and make your own detox face scrub! Activated charcoal, aside from looking super cool, actually absorbs toxins that are in your body and skin. To make your own, just add a few capsules of Source Naturals 100% Pure Activated Charcoal ($7) to a ¼ cup of coconut oil and a ¼ cup of raw sugar. Mix all ingredients together and then use as a gentle face scrub. You can even let it set on your face as a mask for 10-20 minutes!
- Purify: Lemon + Tea Tree Wash: Zap any blemish-causing bacteria with Odylique Lemon + Tea Tree Purifying Wash ($35). This natural non-comedogenic face wash is formulated with detoxifying lemon, antibacterial tea tree, hydrating olive oil and soothing aloe juice. Follow up with Odylique Balancing Citrus Super Tonic ($29) to bring your skin’s natural PH into balance. Your skin will feel flawless, clean and vibrant after one use of this magic potion.
- Consume: Skin-Clearing Foods: Detox from the inside out! The best place to tackle a majority of the issues that harsh weather brings is to add skin-clearing foods like walnuts, sunflower seeds, oatmeal, avocado, carrots and — super score — raw chocolate into your diet. These foods are rich in antioxidants, omegas, fiber and various vitamins that will ultimately help to protect your skin and encourage hydration and elasticity.
- Treat: Clarifying Mask: A current obsession of mine is Root Science Detox Clarifying Face Mask + Spot Treatment ($60). This all-natural concentrated formula can tackle any blemish as a spot treatment or it will absolutely blow your senses away when used as a mask. Trust me on this one.
- Hydrate: Skin Detox Water: Bring a whole new level of healthy to your water game by adding citrus, cucumber, mint, strawberries and kiwi. Not only will your water taste divine, but you will help your body properly digest your food better, as well as loading up on vitamins, antioxidants and fiber. The end result? Glowing skin from within.
- Activate: Face Massage: Give yourself a little rub down! The benefits of a face massage range from preventing wrinkles to detoxifying your body. You can gently tap all around your face or make small upward motions with your fingers to help stimulate blood flow and oxygen to your skin. (via Livestrong.com)
Ahhh, now you have an array of tricks, treats and go-to beauty products that will not only leave your skin looking so fresh and radiant, but more importantly, you will feel good, like really, really good!
Brit + Co may at times use affiliate links to promote products sold by others, but always offers genuine editorial recommendations.
Art Direction/Styling: Misty Spinney
Photography: Kurt Andre
Designer: Marisa Kumtong