Now that summer’s heat and humidity is a worry of the past, you might be wondering why your hair still looks frizzy AF. It’s not so much about the season, as it is the quality of your hair that leads to flyaways. Frizz is caused by a lack of moisture in your strands, so if you struggle with dry mids and ends, your locks will expand to absorb hydration from the air.
The key to leading a frizz-free life is to keep strands balanced and moisturized. While using a hydrating conditioner or hair mask in the shower and eliminating drying alcohol-infused products from your routine can help, the right brush can make a world of difference too. The key is to invest in one that gently detangles, evenly distributes natural oils from roots to ends, and keeps static at bay. Typically synthetic bristles are best for this, but throwing a few boar bristles into the equation can lead to even smoother strokes. Ahead you’ll find nine round, paddle, and comb brushes to tackle your mane concerns.
1. Mason Pearson Handy Mixture Bristle Hair Brush ($150): Boar bristle brushes have been around for hundreds of years, but modern versions now include a mixture of both boar and nylon points. Where the nylon gently detangles strands, the boar fibers add a lustrous shine.
2. Shhh Silk Boar Bristle Hair Brush ($49): If you love the idea of a mixed-bristle hair brush but don’t want to drop serious cash, reach for this quality dupe that will leave your tresses looking and feeling nothing short of luxurious for half the price.
3. Drybar Double Pint Large Round Ceramic Brush ($42): Negative ions in the barrel and bristles help seal cuticles for a sleek mane. When used with short hair, this brush will help create volume; with longer hair, waves will be possible.
4. Tangle Teezer The Original ($12): A detangling brush that fits snugly in the palm of your hand and the front pocket of your purse? Yes, please. Designed to glide through wet or dry hair, it won’t snag or tear your strands, so it’s even safe to use on kiddos.
5. Denman Large Paddle Brush ($25): Nylon ball-ended pins are a great choice for unruly hair because they don’t create as much friction (read: static) when brushing. What’s more, the wide surface area will help cover more ground if you have long hair.
6. Cricket Static Free Volumizer Brush ($7): The original static-free brush, this vented styling tool, created to help speed up drying time, is ideal for creating volume without flyaways.
7. T3 Professional Smooth Paddle Brush ($35): The heat-resistant bristles and broad base make it perfect for smoothing strands while blow-drying or managing second-day hair.
8. Revlon Perfect Styling Comb Set ($4): A wide-toothed comb is the ultimate hair ally when it comes to detangling strands without adding unwanted texture. Just make sure to be patient as you pass it through your tresses, working backwards from ends to roots.
9. Moroccanoil Ionic Ceramic Thermal Brush ($30): Ionic technology pairs with a vented cylinder base to deliver soft, smooth, frizz-free strands with every use.
Want more beauty advice? Follow us on Pinterest.
Brit + Co may at times use affiliate links to promote products sold by others, but always offers genuine editorial recommendations.
(Photo via Keith Berson/Getty)