The 5 Best Places to Travel in October
Hello, jet-setters! We’re back with more of the best places to travel this month. Trust us when we say the below five spots are some good ones. These destinations offer everything from miles of colorful foliage to exotic safari adventures to a world famous hot air balloon festival. One scroll through them all will be enough to postpone all your pumpkin carving or apple picking plans (there’s always next year, right?). Read on to check them out.
1. Albuquerque, New Mexico: ‘Grammers will want to pay a visit to this Southwestern state famous for its International Balloon Fiesta. The eight-day event takes place from October 6-14 and features 500 colorful balloons in flight. While these one-of-a-kind views are hard to beat, scenes from the globe’s longest aerial tram ride at Sandia Peak definitely hold their weight. If sticking close to the ground is more your thing, a stroll through Old Town Albuquerque will be perfect for you. The historic area offers rustic shops and street vendors as well as dining opportunities like the visitor favorite Antiquity Restaurant. It’s a cozy steakhouse experience that can’t be beat.
2. Stowe, Vermont: While this Northern Vermont mountain town is typically a haven for skiers, travelers come from far and wide to enjoy the epic foliage during the fall months. In fact, it tops the list when it comes to leaf peeping — TripAdvisor ranks it as one of the best spots to catch the autumn colors. (Pro tip: For the best views, ride up Stowe Mountain Resort’s gondola ride. You won’t be disappointed.) Pair it with a stay at the quaint boutique hotel Field Guide followed by a visit to the old-school Cold Hollow Cider Mill, and you’ll have the perfect romantic weekend ahead.
3. Jaipur, India: If there was one word to describe a visit to this city, it would be “majestic.” Here, there are many unique opportunities like elephant rides, tours of bejeweled palaces (like the famous pink Wind Palace), and sights to see like the opulent City Palace complex. (Be sure to have that camera handy!) Of course, a visit here wouldn’t be complete without a taste of true Indian cuisine, like the raved-about Cinnamon restaurant in the Jai Mahal Palace Hotel. After a full belly and tired feet, you’ll be ready to relax in luxury. When it comes to five-star accommodations, the Alila is nothing short of magnificent — you have to see it.
4. Quebec City, Canada: There are many reasons to adore this French-influenced city, but the list seems longer in the month of October. During this time, Quebec City is accentuated by reds, yellows, and oranges to make it the ideal place to kick off your autumn. Visitors love taking in all its natural beauty at places like Parc du Bois-de-Coulonge or the popular recreational area, Vallée Bras-du-Nord (note: The sunsets here are stunning). The only thing that will pull you away from cider sipping and leaf gazing is a hearty comfort meal at Buffet de l’Antiquaire, a place both travelers and locals alike can agree on. If these activities aren’t enough to give you your seasonal fix, the plethora of historic cemeteries and Halloween offerings will certainly have you feeling those fall vibes in no time.
5. Botswana, Africa: If you’ve been dreaming of going on a safari, this South African country situated between the Kalahari Desert and the Okavango Delta is the place to travel to. During this time, the country is in its dry season, which means it’s peak time for seeing exotic game like elephants, zebras, lions, and more. Many companies offer luxury safaris with sweet perks like roundtable dinners and candlelit outdoor baths in the evening. It’s no wonder both stars (Taylor Swift) and royalty (Prince Harry and Meghan Markle) flock here. Of course, you’ll be paying a spendy fee for your stay, but you can’t put a price tag on a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity, right?
Where will you be you traveling this October? Tell us @BritandCo.
(Photos via Getty)