Bill Paxton Has Passed Away and Hollywood Is Absolutely Devastated
On the morning of one of the biggest nights in Hollywood, with the Oscars airing in just a few short hours, Tinsel Town’s celebratory mood has taken a turn for the somber with the passing of one of its own. Bill Paxton, who has appeared in such little known works as Titanic, Twister, Apollo 13, True Lies, Aliens, The Terminator, Weird Science, BigLove, and countless others, has reportedly died from complications from surgery. In a statement to E! News, his family confirmed the loss, saying the following. “A loving husband and father (Paxton was the dad to both a daughter, Lydia, and a son, James), Bill began his career working in the art department and went on to have an illustrious career spanning four decades as a beloved and prolific actor and filmmaker…His passion for the arts was felt by all who knew him, and his warmth and tireless energy were undeniable.”
They weren’t kidding — the number of celebrities speaking out to both mourn the 61-year-old’s death and honor his life is far from small, with one common thread among them: how wonderful of a person they thought Bill Paxton was. See their heartfelt tributes below.
1. Selma Blair: Selma posted a photo of Paxton to her page, saying, “Rest in peace #BillPaxton, my heart goes out to his family. From #weirdscience to everything else he has done, he was a legend. And even though I only had the pleasure of having coffee with him once, he was a gentleman and a wonderful presence. A precious memory.” *Tear *
2. Jamie Lee Curtis: Jamie shared a shot of herself onset with the actor, writing, “Bill Paxton was such a talented comic actor. His work in #TrueLies is fantastic. Long career. Long marriage. A hard loss.”
3. Jaime King: King paid tribute to Paxon both as an actor and a human being, saying that he was a “hilarious man” that “will be missed.”
4. Dwayne “The Rock” Johnson: Tough as he may be, even The Rock was heartbroken over Paxton’s loss.
5. Arnold Schwarzenegger: The former California governor and Paxton’s The Terminator co-star remembered him fondly and sent his best wishes to his family.
6. Tom Hanks: Tom Hanks seemed beside himself, saying that Paxton was, simply, “wonderful.”
7. Charlize Theron: The loss was a personal one for Theron, who says he was a “great friend” and a brilliant actor to boot.
8. George Takei: Takei made no bones about his feelings on the loss, saying “I am so saddened.”
9. Kevin Bacon: Bacon reminisced on some of his own fond memories with the star, particularly those spent “floating around in a tiny vessel.”
11. Bette Midler: Bette Middler and her family were “such fans” of the actor, and she sent condolences from them all.
12. Debra Messing: Messing lamented the fact that Paxton was taken before his time, with so much left to give.
13. Cary Elwes:The Princess Bride star shared a humorous pic with the late actor and offered his condolences, as well.
14. Bella Thorne: As Bill Paxton’s former TV daughter on Big Love, Thorne had a closer relationship with Paxton than most, penning, “Oh my goodness…I don’t even know what to say. Thank you Bill for being such a good TV dad to me and spreading love on every set you work on…my thoughts and prayers go out to your family. We love you. #RIP.”
15. Zoe Saldana: Taking time out from her new little one, Saldana, who co-starred with Paxton in the indie flick, Haven, put it all into perspective, saying, “It’s a bitter sweet day today. Waking up to hear we have lost a fellow artist on the biggest day of celebration for film is devastating. I had the honor of working with Bill a few years ago on an independent movie called Haven. Besides his talent as an actor, he was kind, thoughtful, and very humble. He taught me so much in the short time we worked together. My thoughts are with his wife and children. I will never forget you.”
What was your favorite Bill Paxton role? Remember with us over @BritandCo.
(h/t E!, photos via Paras Griffin/Getty)