Celebs are known for their surprising styling hacks, such as wearing lingerie in public or conquering tricky looks like nude dressing, and a lot of times, they have pro stylists to thank for that. But if there’s one celeb that’s been having an exceptionally good style summer, it’s Blake Lively (who famously doesn’t employ a stylist). From Cannes to late night talk shows, she’s been killing it on the fashion front, and she just stepped out in yet another look that not only works sartorially but is, frankly, quite sensible too.
She’s gone and done the unthinkable — pairing a jersey, heather gray hoodie with a fancy, feathery cocktail dress (complete with an encrusted bodice). But it actually makes a lot of sense, given the prominence and “dress-it-up” nature of athleisure in our wardrobes these days. Here are seven takes on Blake’s latest ensemble.
1. Topshop Cross Strap Halter Midi Dress ($130) and Topshop Clean Oversized Hoodie ($50): This pretty pastel combo gives you a great two-for-one outfit — try wearing it not only with heels, but with white sneakers for a more casual version.
2. Mango Flowy Long Dress ($50) and H&M Hooded Sweatshirt Jacket ($20): This colorful pairing is a great office outfit that allows you to cover up during the day with the hoodie. After hours, rock the sweatshirt over your shoulders for cocktails with your co-workers.
3. Azbro Halter Floral Maxi Dress ($25) and H&M Hooded Vest ($35): This hooded vest takes a possibly not-appropriate-for-work dress (hello, sultry low back!) and makes it totally doable for the office. Doesn’t hurt that the vest adds just a tad of edge to the look too.
4. Manon Baptiste Lace Dress ($185) and River Island Cape Hoodie ($76): If you have something super fancy to go to after work, try adding a hoodie to your daytime work outfit. You won’t feel self-conscious about wearing a cocktail frock to the office, and a wardrobe change is as simple as taking off the hoodie and throwing on some heels.
5. Talula Lipinski Dress ($70) and L.L. Bean Flag Blue Heather Hoodie ($50): This dreamy pale blue hoodie is great for sitting on the couch, but it also totally adds an element of surprise when paired with a swishy floral skater dress.
6. Simply Be Zip Through Hoodie ($30) and H&M Necklace Trimmed Dress ($60): This dress is pretty specific in terms of where you can wear it — like, to date night — but a soft hoodie makes the outfit transition easily from day to night, whether zipped up all the way or left open.
7. Lands End Canvas Short Sleeve Dress ($175) and L.L. Bean Striped Hoodie ($60): Here’s a mashup that will definitely draw attention in a good way: a structured dress meets a casual hoodie. Yet, the stripes on the hoodie and the bold design on the dress mesh make for an elegant late summer look that not only screams sophistication, but will keep you warm, too!
Instagram us your favorite cocktail dress and hoodie combo with #iamcreative!
(Photos via Jason Merritt/Getty + Raymond Hall/Getty)