10 Bold Lip Colors to Wear Now
There’s nothing quite like winter glamour, from sequined everything to posh party updos, it turns out it’s the most luxurious time of the year! If you ask us, nothing completes a dramatic look more than a bold lip, which just happens to be all the rage this winter. We’re talking everything from your classic red lip and grunge inspired coppers to deeper hues like wine and even purple (gasp!). As we’ve said before, if there’s any time to experiment with a bold look, it’s now. So check out these 10 statement lip shades that you should be wearing now.
1. How to Get the Perfect Red Lips: Like our engineering intern Maggie said at our glammed out holiday party, if you don’t know how to put on a red lip the right way, we can’t be friends ;) Incase you’re not schooled on how to achieve ruby perfection, just follow these four steps. (via Keiko Lynn)
2. High Drama Lip: Trace a dark liner along the edges of your lip and blend inwards to add high drama to the classic red lip. The result is a velvety ombre lip that’s perfect for any New Year’s Eve bash. (via Refinery29)
3. Gold Tinted Lips: Here’s another playful twist on the classic red lip: finish the look with a dusting of gold eye shadow. It adds an intriguing iridescence that looks incredibly sumptuous. (via Keiko Lynn)
5. Cocoa and Copper Lips: Channel your inner ‘90s supermodel with these luscious brown shades. You can spot some pink and rust undertones in these woody hues, which balances big brows nicely. (via Refinery29)
6. Oxblood Lips: Vampy lips were all the rage on the runways this year, and this tutorial shows how to make these model-worthy lips work in the real world. We love how the whole look is brightened up by this bloggers bright red dress and tulle turbans. (via Hushed Commotion)
7. Deep Purple and Blackberry Lips: We dub these purple lip colors “the Lorde lip,” since the super cool singer has been spotted rocking this dramatic, deep berry look. Try one of these shades in a matte or semi-glossy finish to keep it looking more modern than goth. (via Refinery29)
8. Red Glitter Lips: This is for sure one Brit-approved way to wear glitter makeup, though full disclosure, this look is more high-maintenance than most. As this blogger puts it, “Bring the lipstick, cotton swab and glitter with you, because on a high-maintenance scale of 1 to RuPaul, glitter lips fall toward the RuPaul end.” (via Beautylish)
9. Two-Tone Lips: Holy Day-Go! These two-toned neon lips are quite the statement. We’re not sure if we’d ever rock this red-orange/hot pink combo outside of a ‘60s-inspired Halloween costume, but we might try it with two colors a bit more closely related. (via Keiko Lynn)
10. Full On Matte Red Lips: Not only are these matte red lips smokin’, they’re also totally kiss-proof, according to makeup maven Lisa Eldridge. Guess which look we’re rocking this NYE? ;) (via Lisa Eldridge)
Are you trying any bold makeup looks this holiday season? Tell us about it in the comments below!