Hot Holiday Hair: 20 Party-Ready Updos
If it’s not already totally apparent, we’re shamelessly pumped to get glammed up this holiday. We’ve planned the perfect outfit—sequined from top to toe of course!—chosen our favorite shimmery makeup looks, and picked out festive and elegant nail art. Now all that’s left to decide is what the heck to do with our hair, and since we’re locked into that go-big-or-go-home mentality, we’re zoning in on the updo.
4. High French Twist Faux Hawk: Turn heads with this towering hairstyle. We’re definitely picking up some rockabilly vibes here, which you can tone down with sparkly studs and an on-trend lip color like deep berry. (via …love Maegan)
5. Braided Bow Bun: Why add embellishments to your hair when your locks can be the bow!? Now is the time to play around with this over-the-top look—we’d rock it to our holiday party with a modern jumpsuit. (via Brit + Co.)
6. Yarn Messy Bun: We know yarn works wonders in the pom pom world, but never thought to incorporate it into a festive updo. This style totally works for the holiday season, adding a pop of Christmas color to a basic bun. (via A Beautiful Mess)
7. The Part-Happy Pony: We don’t know what we like more, this super sleek take on a traditional ponytail, or this models insane auburn hair color. One thing’s for sure, this look is precise—each level of this ‘do is shockingly seamless. (via Refinery29)
8. Waterfall Braided Bun: We usually would never toss sound advice from TLC by the wayside, but this is one waterfall we’re definitely chasing after! ;) This cascading braid is so posh. (via Oh the Lovely Things)
10. Knotted Chignon Tutorial: Before this tutorial, our general thought on the chignon was largely “meh.” Now, we’re nuts about this tiered and twisted version that strikes a balance between simple and sculptural. (via Once Wed)
12. Mad Men-Inspired Updo: First off, who doesn’t want to look like they stepped straight off the Mad Men set as you enter your bumpin’ bash? Second, this tutorial is composed of GIFs. We’d like to thank the Internet for this perfect moment. (via The Cut)
13. French Twist Ponytail: This ‘do proves that you don’t have to take it high to have a happening updo. The vertical twist adds an eye-catching element to this brushed back style that works great on second day hair. (via Refinery29)
14. Feather Faux Hawk: This hybrid hairstyle features a trio of twisted buns that create a sort of faux hawk past the plump pompadour. The intrigue is undeniable, especially when coupled with a feather-filled hair pin. (via Brit + Co.)
15. Milkmaid Braids: Yes, this is your standard milkmaid braid tutorial, but just take a look at how the ‘do looks on a two-toned head of hair—it’s pretty amazing, and we’re itching to try it out! Thankfully, we have an ample supply of hair chalk to help facilitate a striking contrast color. (via Keiko Lynn)
16. Not Your Mother’s French Twist: Leave it to the beauty babes at Refinery29 to put a twist on the classic French twist and totally nail it. A tousled top adds dramatic volume to make this look party-ready. (via Refinery29)
17. The Side Roll: This pinup-meets-modern-day updo is really something to behold—if you ask us, it’s hands down the most elegant look on our roundup. To make this look long-lasting, insert bobby pins in a criss-cross shape to hold it securely in place. (via Refinery29)
20. Braid, Twist, and Branch: We’ll end this roundup with a romantic hairdo that’s made up of three softly-twisted and braided buns. For extra festive flair, add in a gilded tree branch. (via Brit + Co.)
What are your party plans for your hair? Is an updo a no-brainer for a holiday bash? Talk to us about your holiday style in the comments below!
Fall is right around the corner, and we're getting amped up for our next session of Selfmade, Brit + Co's 10-week interactive startup school. Designed to help you create a new business or grow your existing one, this course is personally led by Brit + Co founder Brit Morin and co-founder Anjelika Temple, and supported by more than a dozen of the top female entrepreneurs, creatives, and investors in the country. Students receive personalized coaching on everything from how to get out of your comfort zone to how to scale your business, and everything in between. And now, thanks to Office Depot, even more of you can join the course!
For the fall session, we're thrilled to team up with Office Depot to grant 200 FREE scholarship seats to the course. Scholarships are open to US residents, focusing on women of color, women from underserved and underrepresented communities, and women in need of support to help them trail-blaze. After all, we firmly believe that your support system is a huge part of how you achieve greatness, and we are here to cheer all of you on.
To nominate yourself or someone you know for a scholarship, head to our nomination form right here. The deadline for scholarship nominations is September 27th — it's time to take the leap!
Beyond the scholarship, Office Depot is all about helping you accomplish more. Whether it be the start phase, growth phase or keep businesses going phase, Office Depot offers a full suite of business solutions, including services and products, to help you work from anywhere, organize and save time and help build your brand.
So what are you waiting for? Take a chance on yourself and get yourself one step closer to truly being selfmade. Learn more about the Selfmade program, apply for a scholarship and prepare to be inspired :)