You’ve snatched up a twirl-worthy party frock (or three), uncovered the perfect ankle-strap heels and even managed to incorporate some granny-chic statement jewelry into the mix. But what’s missing? When it comes to your accessories game, nothing says “party right” like an It girl-approved bag or clutch that takes you from dawn to dusk — or the boardroom to happy hour. You heard it here first: Polished box-shaped minaudieres, crossbody sacs and top-handle satchels are officially making a comeback. Usher in a slew of holiday shindigs and take your outfit game to the next level (‘cause that’s always top priority, natch) with these bad boys. Next to the season’s most covetable pouches and mini bags, we’ve compiled a list of 18 box bags — complete with detachable straps — that leave you free to multi-task and sip your fave Christmas blend espresso at Starbucks as you please.
1. Serpui Audrey Shearling Clutch ($528): Start saving those extra pennies now; this millennial pink shearling bag with a compact boxy shape is worth every cent. Straight outta Regina George’s all-pink-errthang wardrobe, it’s guaranteed to bring in the compliments at an upcoming brunch date. “OMG, your bag is so clutch,” says every boss babe within your inner circle.
2. Zara Badges Minaudiere ($40): We’ve seen a lot of minaudieres (AKA a box clutch in disguise) in our day, and this one is as avant-garde as it gets. The artful collage element will lend itself well to an art gallery opening or a fundraiser dinner where everyone’s dressed to the nines. You do YOU by styling this head-turning accessory with a metallic wrap dress and ugly-pretty glove shoes. We’re also digging the vibe it gives off when teamed alongside a fuzzy sweater in a look-at-me hue.
3. Boohoo Velvet Box Clutch Bag ($32): This plush velvet box clutch is exactly what sartorial dreams are made of. Between the after hours-approved shade of teal and the detachable chain strap, you’ll be all too eager to ditch your corporate uniform for a lace-up bodysuit and dancin’ shoes.
4. Zara Minaudiere Briefcase ($60): You gotta love a modern-day briefcase designed with future CEOs in mind. Just as you’ve ditched the predictable blazers and ill-fitting trousers for Jenna Lyons-inspired workplace swagger, it’s about time your #WBOTD (work bag of the day) received an update.
5. Dune Envelope Micro Bag With Embellishment ($61): Meeting your S.O.’s parents for the first time over Thanksgiving break? Say no more. If there’s one thing you shouldn’t have to stress about, it’s your polished #OOTD. Show ‘em you’re a keeper by teaming this bejeweled envelope bag with a turtleneck sweater dress and suede ankle booties for a look that’s conservative AF.
6. Nasty Gal Wood If I Could Box Clutch ($48): Super sturdy and made to withstand the elements, this structured wood box clutch (yes, wood!) won’t be flying under the radar anytime soon. We imagine it fitting right in at a woodland wedding or a cozy gathering with friends at a coffee shop. An oversized nubby knit sweater, throwback flares and chunky clogs might as well be non-negotiable.
7. Skinnydip Cow Print Camera Bag ($56): If you didn’t already know cow print was a thang among the fashionable elite… now you know. Proceed to turn up the small-town charm with this playful camera bag that will give morning commuters something to talk about. Tap into your fashion-girl sensibilities by rocking it with the highly coveted dress-over-pants uniform that’s all the rage these days.
8. Forever 21 Faux Leather Shoulder Bag ($25): A wear-everywhere structured shoulder bag that fits ALL the essentials (and then some) is exactly what the doctor ordered for casual outings to the tree farm or a busy weekend spent accomplishing your to-dos. But don’t be mistaken — if lumberjack flannel isn’t your jam, the tan leather and gold hardware can just as easily be classed up with an LBD or black culottes.
9. Charles & Keith Circular Buckle Textured Bag ($69): Tote this ladylike bag by the top handle or go hands-free for a non-fussy getup that works its magic around the clock. The midnight blue hue and velvet texture instantly make it game for evening affairs, be it date night or a fancy banquet.
10. Banana Republic Bow Mini Cross Body Bag ($98): Let it be known: There’s nothing blasé or predictable about this bow-tastic crossbody bag that will accompany you to every holiday shindig, black tie affair and winter formal from here on out. Blair Waldorf charm aside, this timeless statement piece can serve double-duty for the daytime too — team it with a pretty wool topper and velvet smoking slippers for an afternoon spent exploring the Upper East Side.
11. Modernique Margaret Mini Bag ($189): Nothing to wear to the boardroom? Puh-lease. When you have a ladylike satchel with this much swag (hello, gold metal plating), it’s a no-brainer. Toss this wardrobe workhorse on alongside a power suit and kicky loafers for a nine-to-five look that means business. You don’t have to tell us twice!
12. Vera Bradley Elena Crossbody Bag in Forest Green ($198): We know what you’re thinking: Where was this gem of a crossbody bag — in an autumnal shade of teal, no less — during tailgating season? SMH. The functional, hands-free style caters to self-proclaimed busy girls and collegiates. Stock it up with just the essentials (think: lip balm, smartphone and credit cards) for easy style on the go. Riding boots and a plaid blanket scarf may also be in order.
13. DKNY Pinstripe Square Crossbody ($228): Off-duty has never looked so good. As you find yourself gravitating toward dusty green shackets, trend-right camo prints and combat boots, it would serve you well to scoop up this utilitarian crossbody bag that’s made for running errands and grabbing coffee with your girls.
14. BCBG Max Azria Jodi Embossed Faux-Leather Clutch ($148): Take note: This is the faux leather reptile-embossed clutch you’ll be reaching for once five o’clock hits. It’s streamlined enough to fit right in with your networking style, consisting of neck-tie blouses and HR-approved pencil skirts. Plus, the detachable shoulder chain gives you free rein to schmooze with the higher-ups while expertly balancing a dessert plate (‘cause #priorities).
15. Zara Contrast Mini City Bag ($40): Working gals — get to it! Nothing says nasty-woman-in-training like a sleek mini striped city bag that demands respect in the boardroom and on the streets. Ditch the stuffy pant suits for a pussy bow blouse and leather pants with major HBIC appeal, or opt for a fly bomber jacket and Yeezys come the weekend.
16. Mango Snake Effect Bag ($60): Run, don’t walk, to snatch up this faux snakeskin bag that looks *way* more expensive than it really is. That deep oxblood hue is making us want to break out the tough-girl leather and studded biker boots. Elevate it with a sultry slip dress (layered over a thin turtleneck, naturally) and pointed-toe ankle booties for a cold weather-approved getup that slays.
17. Kate Spade Cameron Street Small Dody ($198): We’re all about anything-but-basic basics that deserve a spot in your daily outfit rotation. Introducing the hot pink pocketbook that will inject just the right amount of pop to every #OOTD. For maximum impact, style it with a swishy metallic pleat skirt, an oversized knit sweater and ankle boots.
18. Zara Crossbody Bag With Metallic Closure ($40): What’s an Instababe without a double-tap-worthy bag that ranks high on the MVP scale? Round out your fall capsule wardrobe with this cognac crossbody bag featuring a polished top handle and beetle-shaped hardware. There’s no doubt in our mind that it’ll work overtime to keep you looking impeccably chic, whether you settle for a pajama-inspired shirt and cropped flares or slip on a boho maxi for post-festival flair.
Will you invest in a party-ready box bag this holiday season? Follow us on Pinterest for more style inspo!
Brit + Co may at times use affiliate links to promote products sold by others, but always offers genuine editorial recommendations.