These 18 Box Bags Will Take the Holiday Party Circuit by Storm
You’ve snatched up a twirl-worthy party frock (or three), uncovered the perfect ankle-strap heels and even managed to incorporate some granny-chic statement jewelry into the mix. But what’s missing? When it comes to your accessories game, nothing says “party right” like an It girl-approved bag or clutch that takes you from dawn to dusk — or the boardroom to happy hour. You heard it here first: Polished box-shaped minaudieres, crossbody sacs and top-handle satchels are officially making a comeback. Usher in a slew of holiday shindigs and take your outfit game to the next level (‘cause that’s always top priority, natch) with these bad boys. Next to the season’s most covetable pouches and mini bags, we’ve compiled a list of 18 box bags — complete with detachable straps — that leave you free to multi-task and sip your fave Christmas blend espresso at Starbucks as you please.
1. Serpui Audrey Shearling Clutch ($528): Start saving those extra pennies now; this millennial pink shearling bag with a compact boxy shape is worth every cent. Straight outta Regina George’s all-pink-errthang wardrobe, it’s guaranteed to bring in the compliments at an upcoming brunch date. “OMG, your bag is so clutch,” says every boss babe within your inner circle.
2. Zara Badges Minaudiere ($40): We’ve seen a lot of minaudieres (AKA a box clutch in disguise) in our day, and this one is as avant-garde as it gets. The artful collage element will lend itself well to an art gallery opening or a fundraiser dinner where everyone’s dressed to the nines. You do YOU by styling this head-turning accessory with a metallic wrap dress and ugly-pretty glove shoes. We’re also digging the vibe it gives off when teamed alongside a fuzzy sweater in a look-at-me hue.
3. Boohoo Velvet Box Clutch Bag ($32): This plush velvet box clutch is exactly what sartorial dreams are made of. Between the after hours-approved shade of teal and the detachable chain strap, you’ll be all too eager to ditch your corporate uniform for a lace-up bodysuit and dancin’ shoes.
4. Zara Minaudiere Briefcase ($60): You gotta love a modern-day briefcase designed with future CEOs in mind. Just as you’ve ditched the predictable blazers and ill-fitting trousers for Jenna Lyons-inspired workplace swagger, it’s about time your #WBOTD (work bag of the day) received an update.
5. Dune Envelope Micro Bag With Embellishment ($61): Meeting your S.O.’s parents for the first time over Thanksgiving break? Say no more. If there’s one thing you shouldn’t have to stress about, it’s your polished #OOTD. Show ‘em you’re a keeper by teaming this bejeweled envelope bag with a turtleneck sweater dress and suede ankle booties for a look that’s conservative AF.
6. Nasty Gal Wood If I Could Box Clutch ($48): Super sturdy and made to withstand the elements, this structured wood box clutch (yes, wood!) won’t be flying under the radar anytime soon. We imagine it fitting right in at a woodland wedding or a cozy gathering with friends at a coffee shop. An oversized nubby knit sweater, throwback flares and chunky clogs might as well be non-negotiable.
7. Skinnydip Cow Print Camera Bag ($56): If you didn’t already know cow print was a thang among the fashionable elite… now you know. Proceed to turn up the small-town charm with this playful camera bag that will give morning commuters something to talk about. Tap into your fashion-girl sensibilities by rocking it with the highly coveted dress-over-pants uniform that’s all the rage these days.
8. Forever 21 Faux Leather Shoulder Bag ($25): A wear-everywhere structured shoulder bag that fits ALL the essentials (and then some) is exactly what the doctor ordered for casual outings to the tree farm or a busy weekend spent accomplishing your to-dos. But don’t be mistaken — if lumberjack flannel isn’t your jam, the tan leather and gold hardware can just as easily be classed up with an LBD or black culottes.
9. Charles & Keith Circular Buckle Textured Bag ($69): Tote this ladylike bag by the top handle or go hands-free for a non-fussy getup that works its magic around the clock. The midnight blue hue and velvet texture instantly make it game for evening affairs, be it date night or a fancy banquet.
10. Banana Republic Bow Mini Cross Body Bag ($98): Let it be known: There’s nothing blasé or predictable about this bow-tastic crossbody bag that will accompany you to every holiday shindig, black tie affair and winter formal from here on out. Blair Waldorf charm aside, this timeless statement piece can serve double-duty for the daytime too — team it with a pretty wool topper and velvet smoking slippers for an afternoon spent exploring the Upper East Side.
11. Modernique Margaret Mini Bag ($189): Nothing to wear to the boardroom? Puh-lease. When you have a ladylike satchel with this much swag (hello, gold metal plating), it’s a no-brainer. Toss this wardrobe workhorse on alongside a power suit and kicky loafers for a nine-to-five look that means business. You don’t have to tell us twice!
12. Vera Bradley Elena Crossbody Bag in Forest Green ($198): We know what you’re thinking: Where was this gem of a crossbody bag — in an autumnal shade of teal, no less — during tailgating season? SMH. The functional, hands-free style caters to self-proclaimed busy girls and collegiates. Stock it up with just the essentials (think: lip balm, smartphone and credit cards) for easy style on the go. Riding boots and a plaid blanket scarf may also be in order.
13. DKNY Pinstripe Square Crossbody ($228): Off-duty has never looked so good. As you find yourself gravitating toward dusty green shackets, trend-right camo prints and combat boots, it would serve you well to scoop up this utilitarian crossbody bag that’s made for running errands and grabbing coffee with your girls.
14. BCBG Max Azria Jodi Embossed Faux-Leather Clutch ($148): Take note: This is the faux leather reptile-embossed clutch you’ll be reaching for once five o’clock hits. It’s streamlined enough to fit right in with your networking style, consisting of neck-tie blouses and HR-approved pencil skirts. Plus, the detachable shoulder chain gives you free rein to schmooze with the higher-ups while expertly balancing a dessert plate (‘cause #priorities).
15. Zara Contrast Mini City Bag ($40): Working gals — get to it! Nothing says nasty-woman-in-training like a sleek mini striped city bag that demands respect in the boardroom and on the streets. Ditch the stuffy pant suits for a pussy bow blouse and leather pants with major HBIC appeal, or opt for a fly bomber jacket and Yeezys come the weekend.
16. Mango Snake Effect Bag ($60): Run, don’t walk, to snatch up this faux snakeskin bag that looks *way* more expensive than it really is. That deep oxblood hue is making us want to break out the tough-girl leather and studded biker boots. Elevate it with a sultry slip dress (layered over a thin turtleneck, naturally) and pointed-toe ankle booties for a cold weather-approved getup that slays.
17. Kate Spade Cameron Street Small Dody ($198): We’re all about anything-but-basic basics that deserve a spot in your daily outfit rotation. Introducing the hot pink pocketbook that will inject just the right amount of pop to every #OOTD. For maximum impact, style it with a swishy metallic pleat skirt, an oversized knit sweater and ankle boots.
18. Zara Crossbody Bag With Metallic Closure ($40): What’s an Instababe without a double-tap-worthy bag that ranks high on the MVP scale? Round out your fall capsule wardrobe with this cognac crossbody bag featuring a polished top handle and beetle-shaped hardware. There’s no doubt in our mind that it’ll work overtime to keep you looking impeccably chic, whether you settle for a pajama-inspired shirt and cropped flares or slip on a boho maxi for post-festival flair.
Will you invest in a party-ready box bag this holiday season? Follow us on Pinterest for more style inspo!
Brit + Co may at times use affiliate links to promote products sold by others, but always offers genuine editorial recommendations.
Pocket doors are so delightful in and of themselves. They appear when you need them, get tucked away when you don't, and make it easy to define rooms while keeping an open floor plan. Add to the pocket door a joyful patterned wallpaper surprise, and you will be sent right into fits of visual jubilation! Or something ;) Today we're sharing two simple and impactful pocket door makeovers that zhuzh up your space in a jiffy.
Anjelika Temple here, co-founder of Brit + Co and proud owner of several pocket doors! When I moved into my first real grown-up house a couple years ago, I knew I wanted to incorporate wallpaper so reached out to our friends at Chasing Paper to see how we might collaborate. It felt like a total lightbulb moment when I realized I could create a surprise pop of pattern on a couple sets of pocket doors.
Not only is it a whimsical way to bring color into a space, but the doors double as picture-perfect backdrops for all your SFH (selfies from home, obvs).
A few pro tips about install:
- Removable wallpaper is miraculously forgiving! You can take it on and off multiple times without it losing integrity (or mucking up your surface).
- I ordered this adhesive wallpaper installation kit with a squeegee and xacto knife and it worked super well. I also recommend a sharp pair of scissors for cutting longer lines.
- This is a two-person job! Get a friend, put on a playlist, and get ready to bond.
- Wild, organic patterns like Tally are great because it's challenging to spot any imperfections in pattern alignment; keep pattern choice in mind if you've got a lot of corners to match up. More geometric patterns and larger shapes leave less room for error (but are awesome in their own right!).
BATHROOM POCKET DOORS
In our primary bathroom, we chose the wallpaper pattern Tally, designed by Kelly Ventura, in White and Navy. In our space, the navy reads as a soft black, which is perfect for the space. It's easy to combine an ever-rotating collection of linens with the Tally pattern.
I love how the white trim becomes the perfect frame around this pocket door piece of art.
My favorite moment in this space is the fact that you actually get a third pop of pattern thanks to our serendipitously placed mirror!
And yes, this one works pretty darn well as a backdrop too ;)
LIVING ROOM DOUBLE DOORS
This set of doors is definitely a focal point of our home. It separates our living room from our primary bedroom which opens onto our backyard. The doors are pretty much always open, but when they're closed we wanted to evoke a fun, nature-inspired vibe. With that in mind, we selected the Lines and Moons pattern by Thimblepress in Green and Brown.
Earth mama vibes up in here! I love how the shapes and colors echo the ferns you see through the windows and the acorn wood details throughout the house.
Love this pattern moment, and xacto-ing out the door handle is def on the oddly satisfying DIY list.
For a pattern lover like me, I love that now I have this instant photo backdrop!
Thanks to Chasing Paper for providing these rolls of pure pattern amazingness. Head to chasingpaper.com to find our own favorites and start adding patterns to your home!
(Wallpaper wingwoman: Kayla Haykin; Photography: Kurt Andre)