This Is THE Celebrity Dress Trend to Try When You’re Over Cutouts
For most of us, when the cooling winter temps make it tougher to show a little skin, we turn to cutouts. A patch of skin here and there is just enough to keep us feeling like we didn’t completely lose our edge to Old Man Winter. But the latest celebrity dress trend might have you rethinking your go-to way to show off just a sliver of skin when it’s cold outside — or otherwise. Thigh-grazing slits have been more and more prominent on the red carpet this year thanks to the style world’s obsession with everything breezy + boho, and it looks like they aren’t slowing down this winter. So the next time you want to step up your style with a flash of flesh, whether it’s with a mile-high slit (that you can totally wear over tights) or just a peekaboo-style cut, use these 12 celebs as your style muses.
1. Gigi Hadid: Want to be a risk-taker? Deploy a mile-high slit for a smoldering, super glam effect. Go simple and sleek with your accessories: The main focal point of this frock is *body*. (Photo via Jason Merritt/Getty)
2. Jenna Tewan Tatum: Skim and you’ll miss it! For an understated take on the latest trend, try this crisscross slit. Go for a bold, focus-pulling shoe (think: vibrant pumps) to really set it off. (Photo via Charley Gallay/Getty)
3. Karlie Kloss: Tall girls, take note: A dramatic slit further elongates your frame, taking you to goddess-like heights. Simply Stunning. (Photo via Dimitrios Kambouris/Getty)
4. Kylie Jenner: Want to up your fashion game by 50 shades? Try a waist-high side slit and pair with a slick strappy heel, and all eyes will be on you. (Photo by Mark Davis/Getty)
5. Lady Gaga: Channel your inner modern Lauren Bacall with a thigh-grazing gown. Keep things fresh by picking a classic silhouette with an eccentric texture (mesh, scales, metallics) for a *stunning* effect. (Photo via Anthony Harvey/Getty)
6. Lauren Conrad: Here’s a easy-breezy take on the sexy trend. Opt for a knee-length slit on a flowy Grecian gown and top it off with soft, wavy hair, a touch of eye shadow and a nude lip, and you’ll be red-carpet ready. (Photo via Jason Meritt/Getty)
7. Laverne Cox: Here’s a perfect TGIF look: Business in the front and party in the back. Try a back-slit bodycon dress with a cheeky cut, pair with a metallic pump and you’ll be turning heads wherever you go. (Photo via Alberto E. Rodriguez/Getty)
8. Naomie Harris: This understated ensemble with a reserved slit makes for a smoldering outfit that doesn’t feel too bare. (Photo via Matthew Eisman/Getty)
9. Nina Dobrev: Now that’s a balancing act. Set off the dramatic top half of your gown with tastefully executed slit for a pitch-perfect ensemble. (Photo via Mark Davis/Getty)
10. Sarah Hyland: If you want to make a statement, combine our two favorite trends with a form-fitting dress that’s cut in all the right places. Go bold with your eyeshadow and lips for a gorgeous, sultry effect. (Photo via Jason Kempin/Getty)
11. Selena Gomez: Let out your inner siren! Try a strapless gown (or even maxi) with a thigh-high slit, and you’ll be gorgeous AF. (Photo via Jonathan Leibson/Getty)
12. Vanessa Hudgens: We’re in love with a perfectly executed vampy outfit. Start your look with a polished mane and red-wine lips, and go for it with lacy sleeves and a middle slit. (Photo via Alberto E. Rodriguez/Getty)
What do you think of the slit trend? Tweet us @BritandCo!
Pocket doors are so delightful in and of themselves. They appear when you need them, get tucked away when you don't, and make it easy to define rooms while keeping an open floor plan. Add to the pocket door a joyful patterned wallpaper surprise, and you will be sent right into fits of visual jubilation! Or something ;) Today we're sharing two simple and impactful pocket door makeovers that zhuzh up your space in a jiffy.
Anjelika Temple here, co-founder of Brit + Co and proud owner of several pocket doors! When I moved into my first real grown-up house a couple years ago, I knew I wanted to incorporate wallpaper so reached out to our friends at Chasing Paper to see how we might collaborate. It felt like a total lightbulb moment when I realized I could create a surprise pop of pattern on a couple sets of pocket doors.
Not only is it a whimsical way to bring color into a space, but the doors double as picture-perfect backdrops for all your SFH (selfies from home, obvs).
A few pro tips about install:
- Removable wallpaper is miraculously forgiving! You can take it on and off multiple times without it losing integrity (or mucking up your surface).
- I ordered this adhesive wallpaper installation kit with a squeegee and xacto knife and it worked super well. I also recommend a sharp pair of scissors for cutting longer lines.
- This is a two-person job! Get a friend, put on a playlist, and get ready to bond.
- Wild, organic patterns like Tally are great because it's challenging to spot any imperfections in pattern alignment; keep pattern choice in mind if you've got a lot of corners to match up. More geometric patterns and larger shapes leave less room for error (but are awesome in their own right!).
BATHROOM POCKET DOORS
In our primary bathroom, we chose the wallpaper pattern Tally, designed by Kelly Ventura, in White and Navy. In our space, the navy reads as a soft black, which is perfect for the space. It's easy to combine an ever-rotating collection of linens with the Tally pattern.
I love how the white trim becomes the perfect frame around this pocket door piece of art.
My favorite moment in this space is the fact that you actually get a third pop of pattern thanks to our serendipitously placed mirror!
And yes, this one works pretty darn well as a backdrop too ;)
LIVING ROOM DOUBLE DOORS
This set of doors is definitely a focal point of our home. It separates our living room from our primary bedroom which opens onto our backyard. The doors are pretty much always open, but when they're closed we wanted to evoke a fun, nature-inspired vibe. With that in mind, we selected the Lines and Moons pattern by Thimblepress in Green and Brown.
Earth mama vibes up in here! I love how the shapes and colors echo the ferns you see through the windows and the acorn wood details throughout the house.
Love this pattern moment, and xacto-ing out the door handle is def on the oddly satisfying DIY list.
For a pattern lover like me, I love that now I have this instant photo backdrop!
Thanks to Chasing Paper for providing these rolls of pure pattern amazingness. Head to chasingpaper.com to find our own favorites and start adding patterns to your home!
(Wallpaper wingwoman: Kayla Haykin; Photography: Kurt Andre)