12 Red Carpet-Inspired Dresses and Skirts With Slits You Can Actually Wear
Legs were out at this year’s Academy Awards. Celebs were showing off their gorgeous gams in gowns with daringly high and super sexy slits. There was barely a dress that didn’t give us a sneak peek. Slits can sometimes be a bit risqué or even raunchy, but the ladies on the red carpet managed to make it work, balancing out the statement-making slits with long sleeves, lace and high necklines to keep things classy. We’re sharing 12 on-trend pieces that will let you channel all that red carpet glam IRL.
Side slits can be intimidating enough, but celebs like Chrissy Teigen and Rosamunde Pike weren’t afraid to take things to the next level, going front and center with bold middle slits. (Photo via Frazer Harrison, Jason Merritt/Getty Images)
1. Reformation Leighton Dress ($298): You don’t have to go all-out glam to rock a sexy slit. This bohemian-inspired number is crazy comfortable (unlike some of the oh-so-tight frocks we spotted on the red carpet). The long sleeves and feminine print balance out the super high slit.
2. TOPSHOP Boutique Split Front Midi Skirt ($135): Now this is how to get away with showing off a little leg at the office. The longer midi length tones down the skirt’s eye-catching center part. Pair it with a turtleneck sweater (we love it oversized and slightly tucked in at the front) and classic pumps or chunky heels for a nine-to-five-approved look.
3. Karina Grimaldi Izola Maxi Dress ($305): Sheer fabric and a high-front slit make this light, airy frock the perfect piece to show off those pins. Throw a metallic belt around the waist for a touch of 21st-century glam.
4. Nasty Gal Rhonda Pleated Asymmetrical Dress ($68): This little black dress has some serious attitude. The crossover design has a slight ’70s flair, but an asymmetrical sleeve and dangerously high slit give it a contemporary vibe. Add on ankle booties and sleek silver accessories for a flawless finish. A statement belt is an absolute must.
Subtle Side Slits
Sometimes less is more. Nicole Kidman and Dakota Johnson opted for subtle, slim-cut side slits that showed off quick hints of skin with the movement of their gowns. Incredibly sexy without having to bare it all — now that’s an idea we can get behind. (Photo via Christopher Polk/Getty Images)
5. The Fifth Adore You Maxi Dress ($70): While this tropical maxi might seem unassuming, slits on either side give the dress movement and an understated, ethereal feel.
6. Alice + Olivia Dress- Lucia Slit Tank ($255): This juicy tangerine column is both playful and alluring, with side slits that offer fleeting flashes of leg as you move. Pair it with statement gold jewelry for a luxe look.
7. IC Collection Tribal-Print Maxi Skirt ($128): If the thought of showing it all off makes you feel weak in the knees, this is the skirt you need. Layered sheer fabric and illusion slits still leave plenty to the imagination, while the unique print will definitely earn you a style point or two.
8. Nasty Gal Side View Palazzo Jumpsuit ($88): If jumpsuits are your frock of choice, you can still don your favorite one-piece and get in on the leg-bearing action. We’ll take one in every color, thank you very much.
From thigh-high slits to subtle calf-skimmers, asymmetric cuts made a serious showing out on the carpet. (Photos via Frazer Harrison/Getty)
9. ASOS CURVE Premium Origami Dress with Asymmetric Detail And Plunge ($50): This bright pink dress has it on lock. The vibrant color, structured peplum and a slit that shows off a cheeky glimpse of thigh all point to this becoming your new go-to getup.
10. Keepsake Distraction Skirt ($118): We’re a little bit in love with this floral midi skirt from the awesome Australian brand Keepsake. The bold floral print and pale purple backdrop make us super pumped for spring, plus we’re totally digging how the asymmetric slit introduces a modern edge to the skirt’s classic pencil silhouette.
11. MICHAEL Michael Kors Studded Dress ($130): Strategically placed gold studs create the illusion of an uber-high slit, so you can have the look you want without having to worry about any wardrobe malfunctions.
12. District Uptown Wrap Set ($128): Sports chic meets glam in a sexy, asymmetrical pencil skirt constructed from super-soft stretch fabric. It’s the ultimate piece for laid-back, on-trend style.
Would you wear one of these daring red carpet styles? Tell us in the comments!
Fall is right around the corner, and we're getting amped up for our next session of Selfmade, Brit + Co's 10-week interactive startup school. Designed to help you create a new business or grow your existing one, this course is personally led by Brit + Co founder Brit Morin and co-founder Anjelika Temple, and supported by more than a dozen of the top female entrepreneurs, creatives, and investors in the country. Students receive personalized coaching on everything from how to get out of your comfort zone to how to scale your business, and everything in between. And now, thanks to Office Depot, even more of you can join the course!
For the fall session, we're thrilled to team up with Office Depot to grant 200 FREE scholarship seats to the course. Scholarships are open to US residents, focusing on women of color, women from underserved and underrepresented communities, and women in need of support to help them trail-blaze. After all, we firmly believe that your support system is a huge part of how you achieve greatness, and we are here to cheer all of you on.
To nominate yourself or someone you know for a scholarship, head to our nomination form right here. The deadline for scholarship nominations is September 27th — it's time to take the leap!
Beyond the scholarship, Office Depot is all about helping you accomplish more. Whether it be the start phase, growth phase or keep businesses going phase, Office Depot offers a full suite of business solutions, including services and products, to help you work from anywhere, organize and save time and help build your brand.
So what are you waiting for? Take a chance on yourself and get yourself one step closer to truly being selfmade. Learn more about the Selfmade program, apply for a scholarship and prepare to be inspired :)