Who says the bride has to wear white? Not us — or these A-listers. Plenty of stylish stars have opted to break with tradition, eschewing expected white for a rainbow of alternate shades. Considering a colorful dress for your big day? Here are nine of our fave nontraditional (read: hued) wedding gowns to try.
1. Chrissy Teigen: Supermodel Chrissy Teigen and singer John Legend’s 2013 wedding in Lake Como, Italy, was the stuff of, well, legends. After dinner the bride changed into her third Vera Wang gown, a ravishing red number from the designer’s Spring 2013 collection. All we can say is WOW.
2. Kaley Cuoco: When the Big Bang Theory starlet married Ryan Sweeting on NYE 2013, she opted for a custom pink Vera Wang tulle ball gown for the ceremony. Staying true to romantic hues, she changed into a shorter red dress for the reception.
3. Reese Witherspoon: The theme of Reese’s March 2011 wedding to CAA agent Jim Toth? Country-chic (after all, it was held at her estate in Ojai, California). The blushing bride looked lovely in her custom rose-hued Chantilly lace Monique Lhuillier gown. We can’t help but wonder if she may have been inspired by her famous Legally Blonde character, Elle Woods — at the very least, she would have approved. (Photo via People)
4. Alison Pill: The Newsroom star was all smiles when she tied the knot to Togetherness actor Joshua Leonard on May 24, 2015. The bride looked like a ray of sunshine in her cheerful vintage-inspired dress, complete with dainty details and delicate sleeves.
5. Keira Knightley: Keira Knightley famously wore a pale pink tulle Chanel dress when she married James Righton at a low-key ceremony in the South of France in June 2013. One of the best things about an unconventional wedding dress? You can actually wear it again. And that’s exactly what Keira did. She was spotted rocking it at the SeriousFun London Gala six months later.
6. Shenae Grimes: The 90210 starlet rocked an offbeat choice at her 2013 wedding to model Josh Beech in the groom’s native England. The Gothic-inspired gray and black Vera Wang gown is equal parts elegant and edgy — and we absolutely love it.
7. Jessica Biel: JT’s other half was pretty in pink at their destination wedding in Fasano, Italy, in October 2012. Her dreamy pink floral Giambattista Valli Haute Couture gown is a perfect example of why it can be a pretty brilliant idea to break with tradition. (Photo via People)
8. Aly Michalka: The iZombie star chose to say “I do” in a hue — a lovely lilac Monique Lhuillier confection, to be exact. Between the dreamy dress and her crown, the former Disney star looked like a vision of ethereal beauty when she wed director Stephen Ringer in Portofino, Italy on June 6, 2015.
9. Victoria Beckham: When the Beckhams wed at Luttrellstown Castle in Dublin, Ireland, on July 4, 1999, it was nothing short of a fashion-forward affair. While Posh Spice walked the aisle in white, the bride and groom donned matching purple Antonio Berardi ensembles, embellished with bright blooms, for their reception.
For more wedding inspo, follow us on Pinterest.