9 Wedding Dress Trends That Will Be Big in 2017
Just in case fashion week wasn’t enough to satisfy your craving for impossibly gorgeous threads (that’ll put a serious hole in your wallet, no less), Bridal Fashion Week swooped in to save the day, leaving behind an endless supply of swoon-worthy wedding dresses in its wake. Airy organza, romantic lace and dazzling details — the wedspiration was beyond real. And for every tried-and-true style, there was a fashion-forward design daring to redefine traditional here-comes-the-bride attire. We’re talking show-stopping frills, flowy festival-babe-approved frocks and DDG capes that put classic coverups to shame. Whether you’re planning an elegant seaside soiree or a bohemian backyard bash, if standing out is essential on your wedding day, these are the nine wedding dress trends you’ll want to take note of STAT.
1. Sheer Style: It’s all an illusion. Across the board, designers like Angel Sanchez, J. Mendel, Monique Lhuillier (shown above) and Mira Zwillinger played with artful cutouts, unreal embroidery and feminine floral appliqués to disguise daring glimpses of skin and transform classic silhouettes into bonafide show-stoppers. (Photos via Randy Brooke/Thomas Concordia/Slaven Vlasic/Getty)
2. Next-Level Necks: Plunging necklines might have been out in full force, but it was the slew of over-the-top collars, like this show-stopping pair at Delphine Manivet and Oscar de la Renta, that really caught our attention. Florals, frills and structural organza made major statements without revealing serious skin — a must if you’re saying “I do” in a more conservative setting. (Photos via Randy Brooke/Slaven Vlasic/Getty)
3. Eye-Catching Florals: Jenny Packham, Marchesa and Naeem Khan took the idea of dainty floral detailing and amped it up about 10 notches with 3D appliqués and textured embroidery that doesn’t skimp on the glitz. The result: romantic, ultra-pretty gowns you’ll definitely want in your wedding weekend lineup. (Photos via Randy Brooke/Thomas Concordia/JP Yim/Getty)
4. Halters: The resurgence of ’90s style essentials has finally infiltrated the bridal world, with halter necklines staking their claim on dreamy dropped-waist and streamlined satin designs alike at Angel Sanchez and Monique Lhuillier. The ultimate compromise between strapless and classic styles, a halter is guaranteed to earn you a few extra style points with your crew. Bonus: You won’t need to worry about any wardrobe malfunctions as you bust a move out on the dance floor! (Photo via Randy Brooke/Slaven Vlasic/Getty)
5. Pastel Perfect: Pastel blues, playful pinks and vivid lilac hues reigned supreme this season, speaking straight to the style sensibilities of modern, non-traditional brides. From the Pantone-approved gems at Jenny Packham to the OMG-worthy ombre creation at Christian Siriano, these stunners prove that white isn’t the only way to totally nail your wedding style. (Photos via Randy Brooke/JP Yim/Getty)
6. Capes: Capes have been popping up here and there over the last couple seasons, but designers like Reem Acra, Lela Rose and Naeem Khan (not shown) aren’t ready to let the glamorous topper go just yet. Whether you layer it over a daring dress for the ceremony or add one to give your gown a party-ready edge for the reception, an elegant cape is the perfect piece to up the drama on your “I do” attire. (Photos via Thomas Concordia/Albert Urso/Getty)
7. Festival Frocks: The festival vibes don’t have to stop just because you left the main stage. Houghton, Jenny Packham and Delphine Manivet want you to strut your stuff down the aisle in true boho babe style with silhouettes reminiscent of your favorite maxi dress, eyelet embroidery and dainty lace details that give way to sultry sheer panels. For these, DDG duds, Juliet caps, halo veils and intricate flower crowns are a must. (Photos via Randy Brooke/Getty)
8. Tiered Skirts: Because one is never enough — and Temperly London, Ines di Santo and Naeem Khan totally get that. Layers upon layers of airy organza and lightweight tulle add volume and dimension to intricate bodices to create a flirty, fashion-forward look. The best part? It looks even better in motion, meaning you’ll be making jaws drop during the processional (i.e. your own personal red carpet moment) and the after-party. (Photos via Temperley London, Randy Brooke/Getty)
9. Off-the-Shoulder Silhouettes: Thanks to the likes of Marchesa, J. Mendel and Houghton (not shown) your favorite ready-to-wear trend — off-the-shoulder tops — just got a major bridal makeover. The shoulder-baring style shows off just enough skin to achieve a contemporary feel without totally compromising on tradition, so you don’t have to worry about scandalizing grandma when you walk down the aisle. (Photos via Thomas Concordia/Getty)
Follow us on Pinterest for more style inspo!
Brit + Co may at times use affiliate links to promote products sold by others, but always offers genuine editorial recommendations.
Our undergarments might have taken a backseat in 2020, but with a new year upon us, we're feeling inspired to reprioritize our most intimate clothing layer — especially in time for Valentine's Day. Because hey, what better way to kickstart a season of self-love than by treating yourself to a confidence-boosting set of lingerie?
We turned to trusted intimates brand Adore Me to set us straight on trends for the year ahead, featuring size-inclusive bodysuits, romantic bustiers, lacy babydoll styles, and everything in between. Luxe sets start at $24.95 with free shipping and exchanges, and if you're not sure what style would work best for you, Adore Me has an at-home styling service called the Elite Box. You can try everything on from the comfort and safety of your home, keep what you love, and send back the rest totally hassle-free. Need more to pique your interest? Scroll ahead to see the silky lingerie and loungewear pieces we're adding to our cart.
Adore Me Svana Contour Set ($24.95): You can't go wrong with this playful satin cherry print and lace design.
Adore Me Luana Camisole & Short Set ($24.95): It was about time for a PJ upgrade, and this silky set is perfect for sweet dreamin' and lounging around the house.
Adore Me Gynger Unlined Set ($24.95): Va-va-voom! Hands-down the sexiest piece in the collection, this bra boasts a fiery red bow and skin-showing cups — literally confidence in a bra!
Adore Me Evetta Unlined Set ($24.95): This barely-there flouncy lace set is for when you'd almost rather wear nothing at all.
Adore Me Desirae Robe ($24.95): Take your self-care to the next level with this so-soft robe with subtle lace detailing.
Adore Me Clarisse Unlined Bodysuit ($24.95): This floral lace bodysuit with adjustable attached garters is straight out of our lingerie fantasy.
Adore Me Charlize Unlined Set ($24.95): If plum is more your power color, you'll love this sheer lace set.
Adore Me Helene Cheeky Plus (5 for $20): Our underwear drawer needs a little TLC too, and these comfy undies with coverage are the answer.
Adore Me Kaia Contour Plus Set ($24.95): Cutouts are all the rage, so why not have them in your underwear too?
Adore Me Kaia Contour Set ($24.95): Oh, and it comes in fire engine red — yes, please!
Adore Me Clarisse Bodysuit ($24.95): If you weren't sure about bodysuits, let this classic style change your mind.
Adore Me Corina Push Up Bustier ($24.95): Like more volume in the cleavage area? This sexy corset situation is for you.