2 Genius Breakfast Hacks for a Healthier Morning Meal
We’re all about healthy breakfasts and starting off the New Year right! So we created this easy Cinnamon-Spiced Pear Chia Seed Pudding using Del Monte® Pear Halves and this Mandarin Orange Quinoa Bowl using Del Monte® Mandarin Oranges with that idea in mind. The best part? These recipes couldn’t be easier to make. You’re only a few ingredients away from these tasty ways to start your day.
We’ll kick things off with a blast of nutrition, by way of chia seeds! Nervous about the whole chia thing? Don’t be. They’re easy to prepare, and happen to have about a million health benefits for starting your day off right. Chia seeds are the richest plant source of Omega-3 (the vital fats that help protect against things like arthritis and heart disease), they help control blood sugar, provide hydration for athletic activities, and make you feel fuller longer because of the amount of fiber they have. Yeah — all of that from seeds!
Ingredients (makes 4 servings):
– 1/2 cup chia seeds
– 2 tablespoons sugar
– 2 cups almond milk (or a can of lite coconut milk plus 1/4 cup of water)
– 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
– 1 teaspoon vanilla
– 2 cans Del Monte® Pear Halves, drained & chopped
1. Add all ingredients except pears to a medium-sized bowl and stir. Let sit for one hour.
2. Add 1 can of chopped pears before serving and top each pudding with more chopped pears and a sprinkle of cinnamon.
Start by gathering your ingredients.
Then add everything except the pears into a medium-sized bowl. Stir it up and let sit for an hour.
Stir in 1 can of chopped pears before serving and you’re done!
Top with more chopped pears and cinnamon if you want to get fancy with it! You could also try with Del Monte® Pineapple Chunks for a more tropical twist.
Looking for a new twist on breakfast? Try our Mandarin Orange Quinoa Bowls! Quinoa is quick-cooking and delicious. Oh, and did we mention it’s good for you, too? This superfood is high in protein AND fiber. This recipe will yield four 3/4 cup servings or six 1/2 cup servings. Let’s get cooking!
– 1 can unsweetened coconut milk and 1/4 cup of water to equal 2 cups
– 1 cup quinoa
– 1-2 cans Del Monte® Mandarin Oranges
– 2 tablespoons honey
– 1/2 cup sliced almonds
1. Combine milk and quinoa in a small saucepan. Bring the mixture to a boil over medium high heat. Cover the saucepan, and cook over low heat for 12-15 minutes, or until all of the liquid has been absorbed.
2. In a large bowl, gently fold in 1 can of drained Mandarin oranges, honey, and sliced almonds. into the quinoa. Save a few Mandarin segments for a garnish. Mix together.
3. Spoon into individual bowls. Top with a few Mandarin segments and a sprinkle of sliced almonds. Enjoy!
Combine milk and quinoa in a small saucepan. Bring the mixture to a boil over medium high heat. Cover the saucepan, and cook over low heat for 12-15 minutes, or until all of the liquid has been absorbed.
Now we’re ready to mix everything together!
In a large bowl, gently fold in 1 can of drained Mandarin oranges, honey, and sliced almonds into the quinoa.
Spoon into individual bowls. Top with a few additional Mandarin segments and a sprinkle of sliced almonds. Enjoy!
What are you favorite breakfasts? Let us know in the comments section below!
This series is brought to you in partnership with Del Monte, producers of garden quality fruits and vegetables. With Del Monte, you’ll always have a garden in your pantry.