The Runway Has Spoken: Color-Blocked Makeup Is Officially a Thing
With fashion month coming to an end, it’s time to recap our favorite must-have trends from the runway. We’ve already explored the tried-and-true lazy girl-approved hairstyles and have taken note that minimalism is officially dead, so let’s dive into the next designer-approved beauty trend that should be on your radar for spring: color blocking. This year, designers and makeup artists alike have focused on super saturated, hyper-pigmented color — like every color (sometimes all at once). From brushstrokes on the cheeks to a pop on the lids, vibrant blocks of pigment give a look that isn’t for the faint of heart, but is a technicolor dream come true. Don’t worry — though this sounds extreme, trust us when we say it is totally wearable. So if you need some inspo for your next GNO look, check out how you can rock this swoon-worthy trend below.
1. Bold and Blue: Who needs mascara when you can wear this bold AF structured look? While Ports1961 opted for an electric blue, try more subtle hues like cranberry or bronze to add a little bit of drama to your overall beauty aesthetic.
View this post on Instagram
#MACBackstage at @blugirlofficial #SS17, where M·A·C Senior Artist @michele__magnani used the upcoming season’s trending colour to design glossy lids. 🍊 Get the look with Eye Shadow in Cheer Me On and Up At Dawn, topped with Studio Eye Gloss in Clear. #MACSeniorArtist #MACFWArtist #MFW
A post shared by M·A·C Cosmetics (@maccosmetics) on
2. Sun-Kiss Orange: It’s time to embrace a little color by rethinking your eye game. Use a bold-hued gloss like tropical orange over your lids, as seen at Blugirl. Opt for bare lashes to give your style a more editorial look.
3. The New Cat Eye: Forget your typical go-to eyeliner template and copy Chromat’s futuristic cat eye. This trick will make your eyes pop no matter what color you choose to wear. (Photo via JP Yim/Getty)
4. Disco Fever: Custo Barcelona did not disappoint when it came to beauty this season. Models were strutting over-the-top glittery shadows underneath wide-brimmed glasses. Pro tip: Keep the lips simple to let all the focus stay on your lids. Less is more when it comes to this look. (Photo via Rob Kim/Getty)
5. All Over Shadow: Why stay inside the lines when you can create a one-of-a-kind look like this one from Berenik? This anything-goes style only needs a swipe of mascara and your favorite shadow. Lightly dust it over your forehead and eyes, and you’re set for an unforgettable night on the town. (Photo via Astrid Stawiarz/Getty)
6. Blue Eyes: Jeremy Scott knows how to play up the drama at his fashion shows, but this season, our focus was on the makeup. In addition to their mod-inspired manis, models had their peepers dressed in deep shades of opalescent blue with mascara to match. It was so subtle and beautiful, we couldn’t help but fall in love. (Photo via Astrid Stawiarz/Getty)
7. Electric Eyebrows: Don’t have enough time to fill in your eyebrows? Copy this Ji Oh look instead. Take your favorite color and swipe it across your brows for an attention-grabbing style that will surely be a crowd-pleaser. Opt for a tinted moisturizer and lip balm to complete the look. (Photo via Laura Cavanaugh/Getty)
8. Ice Ice Baby: Thom Browne was all about the bold lip (read: bold EVERYTHING) this season, and it was straight-up fire. Add a high-shine gloss on top to amplify your pout to a whole new level. (Photo via Astrid Stawiarz/Getty)
9. Not-So-Subtle Smokey Eye: Alice + Olivia’s beauty look was a hopeless romantic’s dream come true — no doubt thanks to a mix of out-there style and soft, sweet details. We’re swooning over the model’s pixie-dusted lids and color-streaked mani. Start with a white base on the lids to really make the colors pop. (Photo via Jennifer Graylock/Getty)
10. Rockabilly Babe: Why waste your time prepping your lips for the hottest red pout when you can rock this perfectly imperfect look? It’s time to mimic Georgine’s beauty look for a second-day-don’t-care red lippie. Swipe your lipstick in the middle of your lips and blend outward for a messy yet chic effect. (Photo via Cindy Ord/Getty)
11. Pop Princess: Let your inner pop art princess shine with this monochromatic look from the Pam Hogg show. Stay pretty in pink with an all-over application of the bright bubble gum hue. (Photo via Nicky J Sims/Getty)
12. Electric Orange: Salvatore Ferragamo added an intensely saturated orange streak to their beauty look this season, creating the effect of a deconstructed smokey eye. The look reads as a full lid when eyes are open, but then morphs into a striking, artsy style when lids are closed. (Photo via Tristan Fewings/Getty)
Follow us on Pinterest for more beauty inspo!