16 Easy Ways to Wear More Color in 2016
The onset of a new year gives you free rein to test-drive a slew of new style trends, channel your inner style chameleon or embrace a more diverse sartorial color palette. This last one is especially a no-brainer. If an all-black outfit-or-nothing aesthetic just isn’t your thing (hey, it’s not for everyone), then why not switch things up? In 2016, wear more color. Start small by injecting a little magenta here or a pop of (neon) green there and you’ll be amazed at how much more exciting your head-to-toe ensemble will look — and feel. Say goodbye to the drab, gray January days — and the rest of the year! — with these 16 colorful statement pieces that will lend major oomph to your daily getup.
1. Rethink Your LBD: Don’t you dare reach for the same old, little black dress when you *know* that this lime green number with a plunging neckline is up for grabs. Pair with strappy black steppers and a body chain for an extra fancy evening out.
2. Let Your Coat Copy Your Favorite Sweater Color: Move over cerulean blue sweater: THIS is the cobalt blue coat that will have everyone talking. Team it up with a playful pom beanie and an off-duty sweatshirt for an upcoming snow day.
3. Jazz Up a Cold Weather Staple: Allow this whimsical colorblock scarf to do the color coordinating for you. Slip it on alongside a trusty turtleneck sweater and OTK boots for a cold weather look that doesn’t forfeit style.
4. Makeover Your Shoe Basics: Amp up your casual weekend look with these fuchsia scalloped flats that are a mean alternative to your classic white tennies. Style ‘em up with boyfriend jeans and a white tee — or leather pants and an oversized mock neck sweater — for an instant dash of color.
5. Go Bold With Your Blazer: Dress codes are practically meant to be broken when you have a blazer this bright + cheery on standby. The mustard yellow will offset all of your menswear-inspired button-downs, striped shirts — you name it.
Zara Blazer With Zips ($70)
6. Punch Up Your Sparkle: Even amateur color enthusiasts can pull off this neon bejeweled necklace. Layer it over a striped top or chambray shirt for a considerably preppy look with a twist.
7. ’90s Silhouettes Minus the Grungy Palette: Turn any cloudy day upside down with this sky blue bodycon dress with serious ‘90s vibes. For a throwback look, pair it with a fluorescent yellow or neon pink fanny pack and some modern day go-go boots.
8. Sub for Metallic Studs: Not feelin’ a lotta color? Keep it simple with these hot pink studs that will lend just the right amount of personality to your ensemble. Be it a LBD or a timeless fisherman sweater, there’s no going wrong.
9. Sneak It in With Stripes: When in a pinch — read: no time to spend color-coordinating this blouse with that pencil skirt — allow this dependable, zebra striped co-ord to do the work for you. Pair it with a pale pink clutch or a green overcoat for a polished look that can be styled on the fly.
10. Bring It With Your Bag: Have a kelly green satchel, will find an excuse to tote it everywhere. With a detachable strap, this crossbody bag-turned-clutch in disguise is perfect for a hands-free day of running errands or your next GNO.
11. Wear “Always-Summer” Shades: Don’t fret: Thanks to these rad sunnies, you’ll be freestylin’ all year long. Trust us, the pop of purple won’t go unnoticed.
12. Go Big With Gaudy Baubles: Style this purple statement ring up with a cherry red cape or a lemon yellow sweater for a little color play at the office.
13. Update Your Black Leather Look: Make an entrance with this slick vinyl mini that will take you from clubbing in the wee hours of the morning to the streets just like that. When styled with an anything-but-boring gray turtleneck sweater and an oversized parka, you’ll be rocking a hip downtown look in no time.
14. Amp Up Your Kicks: A surefire way to actually keep all of your fitness resolutions? Invest in these lime kicks that will make you want to run harder and put in that extra mile.
15. Upgrade Your Work Pants: Your nine-to-five look just received a major upgrade. Swap out the black trousers for a pair of these red cropped pants and don’t forget a classic half-tuck to seal the deal.
16. Bundle Up With Bright Knits: Keep the cold temps at bay with this cozy pink beanie that’s practically begging to be paired with all of your winter whites. Suede ankle booties and a longline bomber jacket are obligatory.
How will you be incorporating more color into your 2016 wardrobe? Follow us on Pinterest for more colorful + fun outfit inspo.