7 Skin Boosters That Customize Your Moisturizer
Come January 1, you have the urge to switch up everything — your workout, your eating habits, and even your beauty routine. While other resolutions seem daunting, finding a new way to take care of your face is as simple as dropping a serum-like booster into your moisturizer. “A skin booster does exactly what it sounds like, which is to boost and improve it with a few targeted ingredients,” says Marisa Garshick, a board-certified dermatologist at MDCS: Medical Dermatology & Cosmetic Surgery in New York City. “Given that the boosters are individualized, all skin types can benefit from them. They can help you create a custom treatment to target a specific need for any day, season, or skin condition.” (Photo via PeopleImages/ Getty)
There are boosters on the market that can address every complexion concern — whether that’s hydration, fine lines and wrinkles, texture, or uneven color. Whichever booster you choose, Garshick has a few rules of thumb. If you use a moisturizing, water-retaining hyaluronic acid option, it can be used every day or night, she says. If you opt for antioxidant vitamin blends, she points out that they pair well with hyaluronic boosters and are most protective during the daytime. Finally, if you add a retinol wrinkle-reducer to your routine, Garshick says to only use it at night, since the molecule is unstable when exposed to sunlight. Below you’ll find seven products to boost your beauty one drop at a time. (Photo via PhotoAlto/Milena Boniek/ Getty)
1. H2O+ Beauty Infinity+ Wrinkle Reducing Booster ($30): If you want to make your face look like it did in 2016, try this oat kernel and hyaluronic acid serum bursting with Q10 antioxidant beads. The soothing, hydrating ingredients will plump fine lines and wrinkles for a dewier, more youthful-looking complexion.
2. Neutrogena Hydro Boost Multivitamin Booster ($20): Filled with pure vitamin E and hyaluronic acid, a drop or two of this revitalizing booster gives skin back its bounce, while strengthening the moisture barrier to prevent dryness.
3. Aveeno Positively Radiant Maxglow Infusion Drops ($20): When your face is in need of a brilliant boost, blend this lightweight moisturizing serum with your usual lotion or layer it on top of your moisturizer for an extra glowy look. The soy and kiwi formula promotes radiance and works to improve your skin tone and texture.
4. Physicians Formula Skin Booster Vitamin Shot Time-Restoring ($14): You take a daily dose of multivitamins, and your moisturizer should do the same. This one delivers cell-regenerating vitamin A, firming red algae, and vegan-sourced collagen to improve elasticity and reduce the appearance of fine lines.
5. Rodial Retinol Drops ($89): If you’re thinking that 2019 is the year to try out a stronger anti-aging treatment, these drops are an optimal way to do it since the highly concentrated serum will resurface texture and improve tone. But watch out for irritation. To see how well your skin will tolerate it, Shari Sperling, a board-certified dermatologist in Florham Park, NJ, says to apply a pea-sized amount to your finger and dab it on your nose, both cheeks, forehead, and chin. “A pea size amount is good for the whole face,” she says. “Start twice a week and then build up to every other night, and then nightly.”
6. No7 Match Made Custom Blend Foundation Drops ($15): These pure pigment drops blend seamlessly with your fave moisturizer and SPF, letting you create your best color and coverage (from sheer to full) each day.
7. e.l.f. Cosmetics Antioxidant Booster Drops ($10): Adding antioxidants into your moisturizer is definitely derm-approved. “It’s that extra protection that will help neutralize damage from UV rays and pollution,” says Garshick. This one, which can also be mixed with your foundation, is loaded with vitamin C , which will brighten a dull, winter-drained complexion.
What are your favorite skin booster formulas? Tell us @BritandCo!
Brit + Co may at times use affiliate links to promote products sold by others, but always offers genuine editorial recommendations.