10 Beauty Resolutions Worth Making — and Keeping — in 2019
For many of us, 2018 was a doozy, but we here at Brit + Co are ready to hit refresh in 2019! Follow our Hit Refresh series through January and February for new ideas, hacks, and skills that will help you achieve (and maintain!) those New Year’s resolutions.
As 2018 comes to an end, there’s no better time to reflect on the beauty lessons we’ve learned this year. Whether you finally understood the importance of taking off your makeup before bed or attempted to use an extracting tool for the first time, we know you tried your hardest to care for your skin and hair. Keep the momentum going with this list of new beauty resolutions that will help you (and your skin and hair!) stay on track as you kick off 2019.
1. Treat your entire body to a skincare routine. Chances are you’re accustomed to slathering your face with serums, lotions, and creams. But what about your body? The neck and chest area (AKA the décolletage) are equally as prone to the signs of aging as your face, and your elbows, knees, hands, and feet are most likely to get dry, ashy, and even crusty. To curb these negative effects, it’s time to give your body the gift of a head-to-toe skincare routine. You don’t need to apply your facial products below your chest, but it’s definitely worth adding a hydrating body serum and body wash to your arsenal.
2. Break out of your hairstyle rut. When you’re used to your daily hair styling routine, you may feel so comfortable that you forget to try new tress looks. As much as you love those extra few minutes of sleep, switching up your strands can make you feel totally put together. The good news is that trying out new hairstyles doesn’t require endless amounts of time. The trick is to find quick and easy options to tackle everything from braids and updos to fully accessorized manes.
3. Never sleep in your makeup. It’s easy to pass out before properly removing your makeup, but nothing can justify the damage this does to your skin. Avoid clogged pores, breakouts, and possible infections by keeping a bottle of micellar water next to your bed with a few cotton pads so you can stick to this resolution no matter how late you get home.
4. Finally learn how to properly polish your digits. This year, get serious about at-home, DIY manis (and yes, you can even nail the latest trend). Salon trips can be expensive and time-consuming, and saving a bit of cash on this will definitely add up.
5. Don’t pick your zits. In 2019, make a resolution to keep your hands off your face when you’re in breakout mode! Instead of succumbing to the urge to pop or pick, use an extractor tool or a micro-needle patch. Taking care of a zit the right way, with one of these tools, will heal your complexion faster and leave you less prone to scarring.
6. Rely less on hot tools. Even though firing up your straightener or favorite curling wand can give you a sleek or trendy ‘do, they can leave your strands weak and brittle. Make a resolution to opt for no-heat hairstyles a few days a week to curb your hot tool habit.
7. Stop biting your nails. It’s not only unappealing for your hands but could also make you more susceptible to infections. Kick this habit ASAP and focus on growing long, strong, healthy nails in 2019.
8. Leave your split ends alone. Mindlessly pulling apart your frazzled split ends is a bad beauty habit lots of us are guilty of. Often, we don’t even realize we’re doing it! Make a conscious effort to keep the ends of your hair out of your hands and instead, get a trim so you’re not even tempted.
9. Start using a night cream. If you want to get serious about your skincare this year, using a night cream is a must. It might seem unnecessary to have a separate moisturizer to use while you catch some z’s, but it’s crucial to effectively nourish your skin as it repairs itself overnight.
10. Create a daily self-care routine and stick to it. At the end of a long day, it’s important to take the time to decompress and unwind. Instead of just plopping down in front of the TV and calling it quits, utilize your beauty routine as a moment of self-reflection and love. Use a gua sha or jade roller for a facial massage, make a DIY face mask, or take a soak in your bath or steam in your shower.
What are your beauty New Year’s resolutions? Tweet us @BritandCo!
Brit + Co may at times use affiliate links to promote products sold by others, but always offers genuine editorial recommendations.