12 Natural Ways to Make Your Home Smell Amazing
We’re on a real nature high over here. Whether we’re DIYing with acorns, leaves or branches, it’s all about bringing a bit of what’s outside in. And if you’ve been wondering how to up your scent-game naturally, here are 12 tips to make your house smell amazing this winter.
1. Lavender Lemon Candles: Citrus and lavender essential oil combine to make the simplest and most fragrant candle you’ve seen yet. You could even put one in every room of the house for an all over delicious smell. (via Brit + Co)
2. Simmer Pot: Adding ingredients to a pot of hot water releases their natural scents and warms your house at the same time. There are a ton of variations on the simmer pot. Regardless of which one you choose, include your favorite smells of the season. Stick to one for the winter or mix it up with a different one every week. (via How Sweet Eats)
3. Aromatic Herbs: Not only do herbs add something fabulous to your cooking, they add a subtle scent to your house when you bring them inside for the winter. Pro tip: Rub herbs on cool light bulbs. When you turn them on, they’ll heat up to enhance that natural smell. (via Garden Therapy)
4. Your Favorite Store’s Signature Scent: Have you ever wondered how Williams-Sonoma smells SO GOOD? They have their own simmer pot recipe that includes vanilla, rosemary and lemon. Try this once, and you’ll never be willing to have a non-scented home again. (via One More Moore)
5. DIY Potpourri: Rather than tossing your flowers after they start to go bad, dry them out and make DIY potpourri. It’ll make for a fresh home and a reminder about the sweet flowers you received (or bought yourself). (via Free People)
6. Citrus in Your Disposal: Sometimes, no matter how much you clean, you can’t get rid of a gross smelling sink. Well, now you can defeat yucky drains. Stick lemon peel and vinegar ice cubes down your disposal and revel in the cleanliness and fresh scent of your kitchen. (via One Good Thing by Jillee)
7. Tussie-Mussie: Wishing you could make a trip to the spa? Save some dollars by making your own spa-like shower. Just tie a eucalyptus bunch to your shower head and let that smell relax you, clear your sinuses and make you feel all-over pampered. (via Gardenista)
8. Air Freshener Pouch: Adding a to-go element to your favorite household herbs means these bad boys can go anywhere you want. Put one in your car, in your sock drawer, even your suitcase to fight the good, unscented fight of the world. (via Sincerely Kinsey)
9. Cnnamon-Scented Pine Cones: Sure, you could buy scented pine cones, but making your own is much cheaper and saves you a trip to the craft store. Get the kids involved for a fun, wintertime activity that they’ll love smelling and re-smelling all season. (via The Happy Tulip)
10. LemonBasil Spray: Febreeze may be a quick fix for an odorous home, but why not go the natural route? You’ll feel better about what you’re breathing in and about your sweet DIY-skills. (via Dean’s Group)
11. Natural Room Scents: Share the wealth! Once you master the art of scenting your home naturally, share it with everyone you know. These practical and useful presents will be a hit all winter long. (via The Yummy Life)
12. Air Purifying Plant: If you’re not interested in scents, why not just get rid of the bad ones and the ones that are bad for you? There are a ton of plants that remove toxins and odors for natural, clean air that you’ll love to breathe in. (via Mother Nature Network)
Have a secret way to naturally scent your home? Share it with us in the comments!