10 Spa Treatments From Around the World (That You Can Do at Home!)
Who doesn’t love a spa day? The pampering, the relaxing music, the comfy robes… it’s your reward for working so hard! And there’s really no limit to the types of treatments you can receive, especially if you’re willing to travel the world to destination spas. But if you don’t have the fat stacks of cash for that, let us help you get the five-star treatment in the comfort of your own bathroom. We hunted down the coolest treatments from top spas around the world, along with tips on how you can re-create them at home.
1. Silica Masks at Blue Lagoon: The Blue Lagoon is one of Iceland’s most popular tourist attractions, due to its milky blue waters and silica mud masks, which are great for the pores… and just so happen to be easy to make at home. Just combine a little silica gel (yup, that stuff that comes in those little packets that you find in your new shoes) and water, apply and wipe off to reveal silky smooth skin! (via Blue Lagoon)
2. Facials at The Mandarin Oriental: Miami’s only five-star spa specializes in traditional Chinese medicinal therapies, including a customized holistic facial. DIY your own facial by cleansing and toning, then using an exfoliating scrub and a hydrating mask. After removing the mask with a warm towel, rub some moisturizer onto your face for an extra kick of hydration! (via Mandarin Oriental)
3. Thalassotherapy at Forte Village Resort: This resort in Sardinia, Italy features thalassotherapy (the medical use of seawater) at its six pools, each with different temperatures and salt variations. While it might be next to impossible to do this complex treatment at home, a sea salt scrub during your next shower is definitely something you can handle on your own. (via Forte Village)
4. Chocolate Milk Bath at Hotel Hershey: It only makes sense that at Hotel Hershey in Pennsylvania, guests enjoy all types of chocolate-themed treatments. To recreate the relaxing (and aromatic) signature bath, just add 1/8 cup Hershey’s unsweetened cocoa powder, 1/3 cup instant non-fat dry milk and a 1/2 cup of the spa’s own Whipped Cocoa Bath (or any unscented bubble bath) to the tub while it’s running. (via Chocolate Spa)
5. Hot Stone Massage at Verbena Spa: Located in Yorkshire, England, this spa boasts not only a great name (the Verbena Spa at the Feversham Arms), but a rejuvenating massage that combines cool gel and hot stones. You’ll need another person to help you recreate this, but with massage stones that have been treated with your favorite essential oils and heated in a slow cooker (remove with tongs and test their temperature before using, of course), you can get this luxe relaxation treatment in your own home. (via Feversham Arms Hotel)
6. Creme Bath at Fivelements: Fivelements Spa in Bali showcases pure, natural ingredients. And those organic ingredients are what make up their much-talked-about nourishing creme hair bath. To ensure healthy and lustrous tresses, combine half of a mashed avocado with two tablespoons of softened coconut oil, and stir until creamy. Then, brush the mixture into your hair and leave it for half an hour. Rinse with cool water and wash as usual. Why hello there, beautiful hair. (via Fivelements)
7. Yoga at Parkschlösschen: This Ayurvedic resort in Traben-Trarbach, Germany is focused on overall wellness, including meditation, yoga and pranayama (breath control) classes. Check out your local gym for yoga classes or use a handy yoga app if you don’t have time to get away. (via Parkschlösschen)
8. Dead Sea Floating at Mövenpick: You can bob like a cork in the Dead Sea, while simultaneously getting a great exfoliating scrub at this resort in Amman, Jordan. Fortunately, it’s really easy to make your own salt scrubs at home. Want to sweeten things up? Use sugar instead of salt! (via Movenpick Hotels)
9. Massage at the Four Seasons George V: Located in the heart of Paris, this luxurious spa’s signature treatments feature products made with globally sourced herbs and other natural ingredients. Create your own lotion bars and body butters for a similarly sumptuous feeling at home. (via Four Seasons)
10. Mani/pedis at the St. Regis: Enjoy a glass of complimentary champagne and listen to music on your personal iPod while getting a manicure and pedicure at the St. Regis Singapore. Don’t worry if you can’t get to Singapore; there are plenty of great tutorials for DIY nails that you can do from the comfort of your La-Z-Boy. (via Remede Spa Singapore)
Where would you love to go on a spa getaway? What DIY spa treatment is your favorite? Let us know in the comments below or on Facebook!
Fall is right around the corner, and we're getting amped up for our next session of Selfmade, Brit + Co's 10-week interactive startup school. Designed to help you create a new business or grow your existing one, this course is personally led by Brit + Co founder Brit Morin and co-founder Anjelika Temple, and supported by more than a dozen of the top female entrepreneurs, creatives, and investors in the country. Students receive personalized coaching on everything from how to get out of your comfort zone to how to scale your business, and everything in between. And now, thanks to Office Depot, even more of you can join the course!
For the fall session, we're thrilled to team up with Office Depot to grant 200 FREE scholarship seats to the course. Scholarships are open to US residents, focusing on women of color, women from underserved and underrepresented communities, and women in need of support to help them trail-blaze. After all, we firmly believe that your support system is a huge part of how you achieve greatness, and we are here to cheer all of you on.
To nominate yourself or someone you know for a scholarship, head to our nomination form right here. The deadline for scholarship nominations is September 27th — it's time to take the leap!
Beyond the scholarship, Office Depot is all about helping you accomplish more. Whether it be the start phase, growth phase or keep businesses going phase, Office Depot offers a full suite of business solutions, including services and products, to help you work from anywhere, organize and save time and help build your brand.
So what are you waiting for? Take a chance on yourself and get yourself one step closer to truly being selfmade. Learn more about the Selfmade program, apply for a scholarship and prepare to be inspired :)