How to Make a No-Sew Crop Top in Less Than 15 Minutes
It’s time to break out of those coats, and let your arms see the light of day with spring outfits like watercolor sundresses and tank tops. That’s why today we’re showing you how to upgrade an old tank top to make a no-sew crop top. Updating old wardrobe staples (like revamping a white tee) is more rewarding — not to mention way more fun — than buying a brand-new piece, so start scouring your closet for a top to transform. You already know which one you want to revamp, don’t you ;)
Grab your favorite fabric glue, and scroll onto the tutorial below. No sewing skills required.
Materials and Tools:
- old tank top
- tailor’s chalk
- fabric glue
- fabric scissors
1. Measure and mark the center point of the top, and use the chalk to draw a line from top to bottom.
2. Cut following the line.
3. Turn the top so that the back side is facing you, and draw a line where you want the bottom edge of your top to be.
4. Grab some scissors and cut straight up the side seams until you reach the line you just drew, then cut across following the line.
5. Put the top on, and grab the two bottom strips. Cross the right strip over the left one (across your body), and tie a knot at the back.
6. Tuck the top edges in.
7. Take the top off, and glue the tucked in edges in place.
First be sure to choose the right tank top. Stretchy long ones work best for this project. Then measure and mark the center point of the top, and use the tailor’s chalk to draw a line from top to bottom. Cut following the line to create the opening. Next turn the top so that the back side is facing you, and measure and draw a line a few inches below the bottom of your bra strap (or wherever you want the bottom of your crop top to be). Cut up the side seams until you reach the line you just drew, then cut across that line.
Now it’s time to wrap the top. Simply cross the right strip over the left one (across your body) and tie the leftover fabric in a knot in the back. Finally, tuck the top edges in as shown above. Take the top off, and glue the edges in place. Let everything dry, and you’re good to go.
Wait, did we really just make this super cute crop top in less then 10 minutes?! Also, kitties seem to love it ;)
Are you into the crop top trend? Follow us on Pinterest for more spring style inspo.