This Couple’s Rhode Island Wedding Was Pretty, Punny and DIYed to Perfection
College sweethearts, proud New Yorkers and crazy talented DIYers: That aptly describes recently wed couple Luz and Gabe in a nutshell. And as far as the “talented DIYer” claim goes, we have the photos to prove it. For their wedding in Rhode Island, the couple channeled a forest-y camp vibe with lots of DIYed accents in elegant white and pops of pastel to liven things up, and the results were just dreamy. Trust us, you’ll want to file away these DIY wedding ideas that hit all the right rustic notes.
1. Dreamy Altar: Luz crafted this stunning ceremony backdrop out of birch tree trunks and flowy vintage fabric that she collected. The pale white hue of both the fabric and pretty birch bark pops against the green of the forest in the best way.
2. Fan-tastic Programs: It helps to have a talented graphic designer as your maid of honor. Luz’s MOH Bridget Brennan designed these precious, personality-packed wedding program fans, and Luz put the programs together with double-sided tape “and a lot of patience.”
3. Punny Seating Chart: Luz’s favorite pun of the wedding? The DIYed “please be seeded” reception seating chart. Luz customized the planters with the pun and used packets of basil seeds as the seating cards. We con-seed this is a totally adorbs idea.
4. Bring the Outdoors In: Luz brought the rustic feel of her ceremony inside to the reception space with these pretty table centerpieces. Luz made the wooden boxes holding the flowers by cutting, joining and painting lengths of wood for that on-point forest touch, while the golden tea light holders provided the perfect amount of glam.
5. Fancy Flowers: Have you ever seen a prettier dessert table? Probably not, thanks to the ethereal tissue paper flowers that serve as an utterly romantic backdrop. Luz and her loyal bridesmaids put together the flowers by following this DIY tutorial featured on Design Sponge.
6. Sweet Success: Luz and her bridesmaids aren’t just talented DIYers — they’re pretty snazzy bakers too. Luz reports that these mini key lime pies that she and her bridal party put together were big crowd pleasers. And the boxes of Girl Scout cookies were a must, since the wedding took place at a Girl Scout lodge and campsite.
7. Groovy Photo Backdrop: But wait, paper crafting fanatics, there’s more! Luz and her trusty team also DIYed this ah-mazing tissue paper photo backdrop. The structure’s frame was built out of PVC pipe and chicken wire, and then tissue paper was stuffed in between the wire to create an abstract design dreamt up by Luz’s maid of honor.
8. Chalk It Up: More punny goodness was served up by graphic chalk board signs used throughout the wedding, like this one relating to the s’mores fire pit. The MOH Bridget strikes again: She made stencils for all the sign designs, which Luz then stenciled onto each board using chalk paint.
Thanks to the help of lots of talented friends, this couple’s dream wedding ended up being perfectly dreamy. Congrats, Luz and Gabe!
Do you have a DIY wedding that you’d like to share with us? Email us at email@example.com!