Make These $140 Tassel Sandals for Less Than $20
We’re falling more and more in love with tassels every day. Recently, we discovered how to make a tassel balloon in just five minutes and had fun DIYing a $130 Anthropologie tote for *way* less. So today, when we started packing our summer travel essentials, we scouted an old pair of flats and started dreaming about a new project. With just a few scraps of leather, we updated last season’s sandals into these frilly Marc Fisher-inspired cuties.
Materials and Tools:
— black faux leather scrap
— fabric scissors
— glue gun
— old pair of sandals
1. Cut out 6 tiny pieces of rope.
2. Cut a 3 x 4-inch swatch of leather. Then repeat to create 3 more rectangles.
3. Take your first rectangle and cut to create some thin fringe.
4. Using a hot glue gun, glue both ends of a piece of rope to the top left of your fringed leather swatch to make a loop.
5. Starting at this loop, roll the leather, gluing as you go.
6. Repeat until you have a total of 4 tassels.
7. Thread a piece of cord through the loops of 2 tassels, as shown below.
8. Tie a knot to secure the tassels to the sandal.
First, cut out six tiny pieces of rope. Mine were more or less three inches long. Then cut a 3 x 4-inch swatch of leather and repeat to create three more. Next, take your first rectangle and cut to create some thin fringe, as shown above. At this point, use a hot glue gun or some leather glue to bind both ends of a piece of rope to the top left of your fringed leather, making a loop.
Starting at the loop, roll the leather, gluing as you go. Repeat until you have a total of four tassels (or more if you want!). Then take two tassels and thread a piece of cord through their loops. Tie a knot to secure the tassels to the sandal and repeat with the other shoe.
Voilà! You just turned a perfectly plain set of flat sandals into cute, fun shoes.
Oh tassels, you’re so pretty!
Will you decorate your old flats with the help of this DIY? If so, share photos on Instagram with the hashtag #iamcreative.
No matter what your holiday plans look like this year, we know you want to feel present and able to embrace the warm and festive spirit to the fullest — not be bogged down by errands, stressful hosting duties, and last-minute shopping disasters. We wouldn't be surprised if one look at your December to-do list sent you into a full-on panic.