20 Instababe-Approved Sheer Blouses That Dial Up the Drama
There are HOW many days left until Christmas? Say whaaat?! Before panic mode has a chance to set in (proceeds to scroll through Zara for anything remotely shimmery, flouncy and twirl-worthy), rest assured there are *other* party-ready statement pieces that are just as worthy of a spot in your holiday capsule wardrobe (we’re looking at you, fancy ankle-strap heels). But what’s a gal to do when deep-plunging necklines and thigh-high slits aren’t exactly your forte? With in-laws to impress and strict boardroom dress codes to abide by, striking a balance between tasteful and fashion-forward can be easier said than done. Scroll down for 20 sheer blouses that put the va-va in the voom. We’ve uncovered something for everyone, so whether you want to show off a lotta skin or just a sliver, going glam this season is a no-brainer.
1. ASOS Premium Embroidered Mesh Blouse ($76): This garden party-esque embroidered blouse ticks all the boxes for a holiday get-together where you know there’ll be a high chance of running into exes and college roomies. The fact that it’s sheer means you’ll be able to tastefully show off some skin without raising eyebrows. Go gothic with a deep red pout, a velvet skater skirt and lace-up stompers.
2. & Other Stories Sheer Checked Shirt ($85): This just in: We’ve uncovered a sheer checked shirt that’s likely to put you in a holi-daze. Equal parts classy and fabulous, it’s the type of blouse that would win HR’s approval and double for hostessing duties. Try black culottes for the office before classing it up with a tie-waist wool skirt and glitter-flecked heels come party time. Count us in, please.
3. Express Sheer Mesh and Lace Long Sleeve Shirt ($60): Sorry, not sorry, HR, but this stunning blue mesh top is enough reason to break office dress code. Pull out all the stops by teaming it with a satin box pleat skirt and stylish ankle-strap steppers for a winter formal or even a date night. Play up your sultry side with a lace bandeau or keep things PG-rated with a basic cami.
4. Reformation Sisily Top ($128): File this sheer high-neck top under things NOT to wear when meeting your S.O.’s parents for the first time. But an all-night rager or evening spent bar-hopping? Absolutely. As for styling, we recommend reaching for your prettiest bra, some cropped denim flares and cool girl-approved backless mules.
5. For Love & Lemons Truffles Blouse ($99): Boho babes, get ready to swipe right for this chiffon polka dot blouse that pays tribute to your Coachella days. The front ties can be manipulated to show off as much or as little skin as you like. Top it off with a wide-brimmed fedora and a suede skirt for an ultra-feminine look with French-girl undertones.
can’t stop staring. This gorgeous burgundy neck-tie blouse is a shoo-in for an upcoming vino night or even a Christmas Eve gathering with the fam. The intricate lace would look best teamed with sequined leggings and d’Orsay pumps.
always looks sophisticated. With major around-the-clock appeal, this sheer bow-neck blouse is no exception. Style it for the daytime with a wool skirt and Chelsea boots before subbing in a red-haute leather mini and a next-level trench for post-work drinks.
8. Navy London Ivy Crop Top With Collar and Sheer Sleeves ($74): Whaa?! Who knew frilly sheer sleeves could give off this much understated sex appeal? Not us. With a side of sass, this noir stunner serves as a reminder that modest is hottest.
9. Silence + Noise Ace Sheer High/Low Button-Down Shirt ($59): What to wear when you know you’ll be staying out all night? We thought you’d never ask. This dreamy sheer button-down has college frat party written all over it. But don’t be mistaken — it can be transitioned for the real world with a ladylike midi skirt, a borrowed-from-the-boys herringbone blazer and smoking slippers for a prep-school look.
that OTT), let it be known that a little Kendall Jenner-esque styling won’t go unnoticed. Going bra-less may or may not be recommended.
But actually. Be it a Friendsgiving feast, a small get-together at so-and-so’s place or just because (your town square’s tree lighting celebration is surely enough reason to get all gussied up), this ruffle-front number shall not fly under the radar this season. For a little extra oomph, dangling crystal chandelier earrings will make you feel fancy AF.
works. For holiday-related functions that seemingly pop up out of nowhere, don’t hesitate to reach for this understated sheer blouse that will always have your back. Dress it up with a sequined collar necklace, or let your dangling statement earrings do all the talking.
frilly hem trousers, lace-up ghillies and a bright pink pout. No need to wait until Valentine’s Day to take it out for a spin — make it date night-ready by layering it over a lace bralet or cami for minimal coverage.
14. Topshop Frill Neck Lace Shirt ($68): Kate Middleton who? Whether you have a rendezvous planned with your boo or an approaching banquet dinner, there’s something to be said about a Victorian blouse that makes you look and feel like royalty. Pair this romantic lace shirt featuring a high neck and fabulous fluted sleeves with anything from boyfriend jeans to a denim button-front skirt for a polished #OOTD.
15. & Other Stories Frills Flounce Blouse ($95): Cue the frills and romance: This mesmerizing midnight blue blouse brings the drama without pushing any boundaries or tainting your girl-next-door image. The captivating embroidery will lend an unexpected touch of glamour to even your most unassuming boardroom slacks.
not for the overly conservative. Consider it fair game for any affairs occurring in the latter half of the evening (and the wee hours of the morning). For a come-hither look, a leather pleat skirt and faux fur topper will have you ready to swap digits like that.
17. Kimchi Blue Ashley Crochet Flutter-Sleeve Tee ($59): While the sheer trend can understandably be hit or miss, playful flutter sleeves are something we can definitely get behind. Between the crochet details and easy-going shape, you’ll have no trouble incorporating this hero piece into your five-to-nine wardrobe. Round out your look with a swishy metallic pleat skirt, velvet ankle booties and a hands-free party-going sac.
18. & Other Stories Transparent Cropped Top ($55): Cropped and ready to mingle, this luxe striped top can be worn as a sophisticated co-ord or teamed alongside black high-waisted skinnies for a pared-down look. Either way, the boxy silhouette and sheer material will be a hit come the first fête of the season. Pair alongside a basic tank and sparkly studs for maximum impact.
19. Zara Shirt-Style Bodysuit With Stars and Frills ($40): Need to be ready in a flash? Girl, that’s fine by us, especially when you have a wear-everywhere sheer bodysuit this DDG on standby. Not only is the sheer celestial-inspired print beckoning to be worn for a star-studded night out with your squad, but it’s casual enough to rock with vintage mom jeans and black ankle boots too.
20. Love, Courtney by Nasty Gal Palladium Blouse ($128): Usher in a DGAF ‘tude with this oversized black chiffon blouse that would do Courtney Love proud. A little bit gothic, a lot ‘90s grunge, this certified showstopper will have you reaching for the dark eye makeup, studded accessories and Doc Martens in no time. Gear up for an upcoming rock concert or a night of debauchery by offsetting the high-low hemline with leather pants and sky-high stilettos.