Fashion rules are meant to be broken. Going beyond the whole “no white after Labor Day” rule (puh-lease!) and the age-old myth that you can’t mix navy with black, we’re ready to make daytime metallics a thing. Hear us out: During a season dominated by wooly knits, heavy-duty toppers and the prospect of bundling up, there’s something to be said for embracing OTT metallics for work and play. ‘Cause why the heck not?! Between swishy metallic skirts, slinky slip dresses and high-shine bodysuits, it’s all about dialing it up this season, whether it be a fancy night on the town or just because. Make way for 27 game-changing ways to turn up the drama and go all-out glam this season.
1. ASOS Dolly Coat in Floral With Faux Fur Collar ($129): Found it. To all you vintage-loving girls who thought metallics just weren’t your thing, we’ve uncovered the retro topper for you. This metallic jacquard number, featuring an intricate floral design and sassy faux fur collar, calls for a flapper-esque drop-waist dress and art deco-inspired earrings.
2. Scotch & Soda Metallic Trousers ($135): Whoever said you couldn’t pull off lustrous fuchsia trousers in the workplace was surely mistaken. Pair ’em with a silk tie-front blouse, smart specs, a herringbone blazer and some good ol’ suede block heels and HR won’t bat an eye.
3. ASOS Pleated Midi Skirt in Metallic With Contrast Hem ($64): Take a scroll through your Insta feed and there’s a good chance you’ll spot at least one Instababe sporting a twirl-worthy metallic pleated skirt — and for good reason. They can be dressed up with a blazer and ankle strap steppers or pared down with a slouchy sweater and Chuck Taylors. And a messy top knot is always the best accessory.
4. Zara Mini Skirt With Frilled Hem ($36): Equal parts playful and girly, this metallic mini featuring a frilly hem is made for a GNO. Pare it down with an oversized statement sweatshirt, Adidas Superstars and a hands-free leather bucket bag for off-duty vibes all day err’day.
5. J.Crew Metallic Ruffle-Neck Sweatshirt ($60): Metallics for the boardroom? Not if your boss has anything to say about it. But actually. We hardly imagine they could say no to this heather gray sweatshirt with a subtle metallic trim. Perhaps only wear it on casual Fridays (alongside a pencil skirt and ballet flats, natch), but you get the drift.
6. Zara Flowing Cropped Trousers ($30): We’re here to make a *serious* case for wearing flowy metallic trousers during the daytime. Who’s with us? Team these tie-waist bottoms with a white t-shirt and black skimmers for a uniform that’s anything but corporate. Sling an of-the-moment mini leather backpack over your shoulder for all the cool-girl vibes.
7. Topshop Metallic Parka ($250): A 50 percent chance of rain showers, you say? It looks like it’s time to take cover in your fly metallic gold parka. Rain or shine, it’ll give you an excuse to embrace flashy metallics and show everyone who’s boss. Toss this versatile hooded hero piece over a free-wheelin’ jumpsuit, embroidered jeans or a roomy mock-neck sweater dress for some post-festival season flair.
8. Poppy Barley The Modern Mary-Jane ($198): These contemporary Mary Janes were love at first sight. Not only are they sensible enough to take on your morning commute, but they’ll easily make the transition from a.m. to p.m. They’re snazzy enough to team with a black shift dress and pearls, but can roll with the punches too — you’d be surprised how ah-mazing these metallic and black ankle-strap steppers look with a button-front skirt and a leather biker jacket.
9. Halston Heritage Metallic Jersey Bodysuit ($195): Nothing to wear? You obviously haven’t met a metallic jersey bodysuit with this much over-the-top appeal. The come-hither style may not be for the overly modest, but boy is it guaranteed to make an entrance at a Vegas-themed bachelorette party or black tie affair. Team it with high-waisted trousers or a thigh-high slit skirt, and toss on a body chain to complement the plunging neckline. Sky-high stilettos are obviously obligatory, ‘cause flats just aren’t going to fly.
10. Topshop Camouflage Jacquard Pencil Skirt ($95): Take the guesswork out of figuring out what to wear to a cocktail event or wedding reception by opting for this metallic jacquard print skirt that’s downright sophisticated. Up the wow factor with a scalloped cami, sparkly chandelier earrings and a compact minaudiere clutch.
11. New Look Metallic Block Heel Ballet Pump ($32): They sure don’t make ballet flats like they used to. These silver block heel ballet pumps may not be quite as plié-worthy, but they sure do look killer with a bomber jacket and cropped flares (or even a frothy tulle skirt) for an edgy-meets-femme vibe.
12. BCBGMaxazria Cian Metallic Cargo Jogger Pants ($198): Metallic joggers do exist — and they need not be restricted to the yoga studio. In lieu of frumpy sweats, these luxe cargo bottoms will take you from back-to-back-to-back afternoon meetings to a post-work happy hour to a karaoke bar. They’re that foolproof and ready to mingle.
13. ASOS Metallic Embellished Collar ($19): Update an old sweater or a dainty blouse like that thanks to this pretty embellished collar that’s all sorts of charming. The sequined collar of blooms could even double for an upcoming wedding in the idyllic countryside — just toss it on with a lace frock for max perfection.
14. Topshop Moto Metallic Hayden Boyfriend Jeans ($90): Test drive a casual-cool downtown aesthetic with a pair of these slouchy metallic boyfriend jeans that can be dressed up or down. Style ‘em for a lunch meeting across town alongside a silk blouse and d’Orsay pumps, or go full-on athleisure with an oversized pocket tee, a utilitarian jacket and sneakers.
15. J.Crew Curved Metal Hair Elastic ($14): When metallic bangles and clutches feel too fussy, keep things on the DL with this metal gold hair elastic that will add instant pep to your ponytail game. Can you say easiest style hack in the book?
16. ASOS Petite Metallic Pleat Jumpsuit With Crop Top Layer ($68): Whether you’re heading to the office or have a hot date night planned, this metallic jumpsuit with a faux crop top can do it all. Not only can it be styled in two seconds flat (a win-win for us lazy girls), but it’s made for hitting the dance floor. Round out your look with a tuxedo jacket and silver strappy heels for an outfit that won’t go unnoticed.
17. Silence + Noise Satin Shine Mini Slip Dress ($59): This just in: Snagging that coveted model-off-duty look is as simple as a few layering tricks. Take this high-shine slip dress, for instance — all you have to do is pop this wardrobe workhorse over a mesh tee and slip on some Chelsea boots for a street-inspired getup that demands attention.
18. Chi Chi London Bardot Metallic Jacquard Midi Dress With High Low Hem ($129): Pretend like we’re Blair Waldorf for the day? Don’t mind if we do. Take style cues from the Queen B herself by styling this swoon-inducing strapless metallic dress with a tiara, simple pearl studs and Manolos for a head-turning look.
19. Topshop Metallic Pyjama Shirt ($90): Perfect your roll-out-of-bed-and-go routine with this relaxed fit pajama shirt that can actually be worn IRL. We’re dead serious. Style it alongside black slacks and heeled mules for the boardroom or a velvet pinafore dress and hoop earrings come the weekend. The metallic mint hue will lend just the right amount of glamour to every #OOTD.
20. Forever 21 Metallic Crisscross Stiletto Sandals ($30): Ease into wearing metallics for the daytime with these silver crisscross sandals that will take every ensemble to new heights (literally). Not just restricted to your trusty lineup of going-out dresses, these bad boys will look just as stunning with black culottes as they do with a wrap-front maxi skirt.
21. Zara Metallic Top With Frilled Hem ($36): Cue the fancy frills with this metallic top that can be worn as-is or layered over a button-down for a considerably more polished getup. Come the holidays, it’ll straight-up stun with sequined pants and velvet platforms.
22. ASOS Longerline Blazer in Metallic Jacquard ($97) + Silver Metallic Trousers With Piping ($64): Yes, you can wear a metallic jacquard power suit for your nine-to-five, or even a fall wedding for that matter. The key is to dial it down with a white t-shirt, streamlined power pumps and a laid-back ‘tude. DO keep a pair of athletic trainers at work so you can ditch the heels once five o’clock rolls around.
23. Topshop Petite A-Line Leather Mini Skirt ($160): Show off more than just a little bit of leg with this metallic leather mini that can stand on its own. Does it not give off major Zenon, Girl of the 21st Century vibes? Go bold with a color-block windbreaker or keep things contemporary with a lace-up blouse and a hands-free cross-body sac.
24. Nasty Gal Future Perfect Turtleneck Top ($58): If this Gaga-inspired silver turtleneck doesn’t take your vintage mom jeans to the next level, then we don’t know what will. Team it with tough-girl ankle boots and a leather moto jacket for a far-out look that’s so RN (and in line with your cutting-edge style).
25. Topshop Soft Toe Ankle Boots ($130): Introducing the show-stopping metallic gold stompers you’ll want to pair with everything this season. From cuffed boyfriend jeans to an LBD, these trusty mid-heel ankle boots will give any ensemble the extra boost it deserves.
26. Kimchi Blue Floral Sheer Mesh Maxi Dress ($89): Outfit conundrums simply don’t exist when your dress is this DDG. Get ready to bring the drama by styling this sheer maxi, featuring shimmery gold blooms, with a gold choker and lace-up ghillies for a wedding under the stars or a fall soiree. Sign us up, please.
27. Zara Reversible Leather Jacket ($229): Keep the outfit blahs at bay with this reversible metallic bomber that’s leather on one side and faux fur on the other. Sport the metallic side when you’re feeling like Beyoncé and the flip side when you’re just trying to be Miley. Either way, the swagger is on.
Will you embrace daytime metallics into your fall wardrobe ? Follow us on Pinterest for more fall style inspo!
Brit + Co may at times use affiliate links to promote products sold by others, but always offers genuine editorial recommendations.