Bye, Ombre! THIS Is the Newest Hair Coloring Trend for 2015
While ultra vibrant hair and dramatic ombre ruled 2014, we’re starting to see a shift in the follicle forecast. As we step into the new year we’re beginning to see a more natural trend attached to those tresses. The leading force toward this minimal vibe: balayage, increasingly popular highlights that aim to mimic those sunkissed highlights you got as a kid. And now, piggybacking off balayage, we’re seeing another similar, albeit darker, technique that we’re sure is about to go mane-stream over the course of 2015: introducing ecaille (AKA “tortoiseshell” in French).
With smooth caramel tones, the ecaille technique is a slightly richer and darker version of your natural color paired with golden highlights and a whole lot of shine. The look, which began trending in Paris, tends to also be darker at the roots and lighter at the ends – consider it a much more sophisticated version of the ombre we know and love. Pop some balayage highlights on top of this rich shade and and a gloss to keep it rich, and you’ve got this multidimensional, bombshell look.
To achieve ecaille-style locks when you’re next in the salon, here are a few pointers on what to say to your stylist:
1. Don’t ask for it by name — at least not yet. While a handful of stylists at high-end salons might already know exactly what this technique looks like, it’s only starting to really take off stateside. Instead, chat with your colorist about the style, and of course, bring a picture (or five).
2. Explain the key elements of ecaille to make the process even more clear. If you’re not sure how to translate the look into hair talk, tell them you’d like to darken the base color a bit and add in some gloss and a few darker pieces.
3. Ask your colorist to focus on vibrant, face-framing highlights in the front while adding softer pieces all around the rest of your head.
4. Hollywood colorist George Papanikolas, tells Fox News to “Ask for various tones, deeper at the roots and lighter at the ends” – but be clear that while you’re looking for some gradation, you’re not looking for ombre.
5. George Papanikolas also advises that you make sure that the tones in your hair match up with your skintone. He says “If you are fair or pale, asks for some golden tones to add vibrancy. If you’re closer to an olive color or have a pink complexion, ask for some ash elements to give your skin a more natural, sun-kissed look.”
What hair color trends do you think will be a hit in 2015? Share your thoughts in the comments below.
Fall is right around the corner, and we're getting amped up for our next session of Selfmade, Brit + Co's 10-week interactive startup school. Designed to help you create a new business or grow your existing one, this course is personally led by Brit + Co founder Brit Morin and co-founder Anjelika Temple, and supported by more than a dozen of the top female entrepreneurs, creatives, and investors in the country. Students receive personalized coaching on everything from how to get out of your comfort zone to how to scale your business, and everything in between. And now, thanks to Office Depot, even more of you can join the course!
For the fall session, we're thrilled to team up with Office Depot to grant 200 FREE scholarship seats to the course. Scholarships are open to US residents, focusing on women of color, women from underserved and underrepresented communities, and women in need of support to help them trail-blaze. After all, we firmly believe that your support system is a huge part of how you achieve greatness, and we are here to cheer all of you on.
To nominate yourself or someone you know for a scholarship, head to our nomination form right here. The deadline for scholarship nominations is September 27th — it's time to take the leap!
Beyond the scholarship, Office Depot is all about helping you accomplish more. Whether it be the start phase, growth phase or keep businesses going phase, Office Depot offers a full suite of business solutions, including services and products, to help you work from anywhere, organize and save time and help build your brand.
So what are you waiting for? Take a chance on yourself and get yourself one step closer to truly being selfmade. Learn more about the Selfmade program, apply for a scholarship and prepare to be inspired :)