Elizabeth Banks’ Trainer Coaches Us on How to Avoid the Holiday Bulge
Everyone wants to look their best in their holiday OOTD. But with fast food holiday treats and adorable homemade cookies at every cubicle, party and apartment? Well, let’s just say it can be way hard to avoid that seemingly inevitable holiday food baby. Luckily, we’ve enlisted the help of one very special celebrity trainer (think the woman behind the bodies of The Hunger Games and Pitch Perfect) to help us achieve our holiday fitness goals. Lifesum fitness expert and celebrity trainer Joselynne Boschen, whose client roster includes Elizabeth Banks, gave five tips to keep your exercise routine on track throughout December.
1. Don’t fall into the over-exercising trap. Many of us want to drop 15 pounds the week before Christmas, but crash dieting and binging on exercise should NEVER be advised. Instead of killing yourself with a 40-hour workout week, Joselynne advises making small changes to your exercise routine and diet during the holiday lead-up: “The best thing you can do for yourself is to set a routine that you enjoy.”
2. Find workout activities that you actually enjoy. Instead of dreading a brutal 20 minute ab blasting sesh, Joselynne recommends getting a workout in by doing activities that you actually like. “Meet your friends for yoga or dance around to Christmas music as cardio,” says Joselynne. Finding something you actually like to do will help you stay motivated and committed… even when the holiday stress starts to kick in.
3. Make use of Christmas movie binge-a-thons. Listen, we all love vegging out in front of the tube for a cheesy Christmas flick. But instead of reaching for the chips, try turning your TV time into a heart-pumping exercise routine. “Hold a plank for the duration of the first commercial break, do bicycle crunches during the second and squats throughout the whole of the third break,” Joselynne advises. We always knew Home Alone was going to be the secret to our holiday fitness success!
4. Swap out your festive flats for trendy sneakers. Whether you’re headed to work or hanging with friends, “wearing a pair of great sneakers is a trendy fashion statement that also encourages you to walk more,” says Joselynne. Pair them with a stylish wearable and get ready to slay the holidays.
5. Always take the stairs… and do an extra lap too. “This is a tip I always promote, but it is extra important during the holidays, when we tend to give ourselves less time at the gym,” says Joselynne. Instead of just choosing the stairs instead of the elevator, do an extra lap to really get your heart rate up. “On the way up, focus on pushing up through your heal with your entire foot on each step and, if you are brave, skip steps,” she counsels. “This extra movement adds up and will help you reach your total step goal for the day.”
How are you keeping to your workout routine during the holiday lead-up? Tweet us by mentioning @BritandCo!
(Photos via Getty)
Fall is right around the corner, and we're getting amped up for our next session of Selfmade, Brit + Co's 10-week interactive startup school. Designed to help you create a new business or grow your existing one, this course is personally led by Brit + Co founder Brit Morin and co-founder Anjelika Temple, and supported by more than a dozen of the top female entrepreneurs, creatives, and investors in the country. Students receive personalized coaching on everything from how to get out of your comfort zone to how to scale your business, and everything in between. And now, thanks to Office Depot, even more of you can join the course!
For the fall session, we're thrilled to team up with Office Depot to grant 200 FREE scholarship seats to the course. Scholarships are open to US residents, focusing on women of color, women from underserved and underrepresented communities, and women in need of support to help them trail-blaze. After all, we firmly believe that your support system is a huge part of how you achieve greatness, and we are here to cheer all of you on.
To nominate yourself or someone you know for a scholarship, head to our nomination form right here. The deadline for scholarship nominations is September 27th — it's time to take the leap!
Beyond the scholarship, Office Depot is all about helping you accomplish more. Whether it be the start phase, growth phase or keep businesses going phase, Office Depot offers a full suite of business solutions, including services and products, to help you work from anywhere, organize and save time and help build your brand.
So what are you waiting for? Take a chance on yourself and get yourself one step closer to truly being selfmade. Learn more about the Selfmade program, apply for a scholarship and prepare to be inspired :)