The Definitive Guide to Pairing Your Holiday Party Dress With the Perfect Lipstick
Pulling together the ultimate after-dark ensemble is no easy feat, even for those of us with minimalist style sensibilities. Sure, there’s always the all-black option, but girl, life’s too short to rock the same outfit on repeat. Translation: That little bit of extra effort is well worth it. But once you’ve gotten a killer getup squared away, there’s your beauty routine to consider. While a knotted ponytail or volumized topknot will look fire with whatever you toss on, your lipstick choice requires careful consideration. Okay, so it isn’t rocket science, but an on-point pout can totally make an outfit. To take all the guesswork out of the equation (so you can get out the door and on to the good stuff, like showing off those killer dance moves), we’ve put together 11 flawless dress and lipstick pairings that have you covered for every occasion.
1. Zara Flowing Frilly Floral Dress ($70) + Tom Ford Lip Color in Smoke Red ($53): A little bit sweet, a little bit sassy is exactly how we like it. Team this dramatic duo with fishnets and pointed-toe ankle boots for an after-hours look that straight-up slays.
2. Topshop Drape Front Midi Dress ($100) + Giorgio Armani Beauty Lip Maestro in 500 ($38): To say this emerald stunner is #goals would be an understatement. Amp up the va-va-voom factor with silver pumps, sleek drop earrings and a dramatic smokey eye. Siren red lips can easily take your look OTT with a dress this bold, so pair it with a pretty pink lip to achieve a sophisticated aesthetic.
3. H&M Satin Dress With Lace ($70) + Marc Jacobs Beauty Le Marc Lip Crème Lipstick in Boy Gorgeous 222 ($30): Put that LBD back in the closet and embrace a pretty-in-pink ensemble for an upcoming dinner date with bae. Play with proportion by pairing a slinky slip dress with a dramatic faux fur topper, then round out the look with ballet-beautiful lace-up heels and a swipe of berry lipstick.
4. Zara Contrast Sparkly Dress ($40) + Anastasia Beverly Hills Liquid Lipstick in Dusty Rose ($20): This fanciful frock was practically made for sipping Champagne and shakin’ it out on the dance floor, which is good news for your jam-packed holiday schedule. For an impactful look, pair it with a classic red pout, or if you’re playing up your minimalist side, opt for a muted shade of dusty rose for an au naturale glow.
5. Mango Off-Shoulder Dress ($50) + Kjaer Weis Adore Lipstick ($56): A little color coordination never hurt anyone — and in this case, it’s a straight shot to obtaining street-style-star status. The only thing missing from this winning combination? Sculptural kicks and a modern geo clutch.
6. Mango Floral Wrap Dress ($80) + Yves Saint Laurent Rouge Pur Couture Lipstick Collection in Melon D’Or ($37): Moody color and come-hither separates aren’t the only way to achieve a decidedly dramatic look. Dance your way to style glory in this sweeping wrap dress and a pair of embellished block heels. A shimmery melon-colored lip lends an air of cool-girl flair to the getup, and solidifies your status as an Instababe in the making.
7. Warehouse Crepe Tie Shoulder Dress ($70) + Estée Lauder Pure Color Envy Sculpting Lipstick in Infamous ($32): When it comes to GNO, you don’t mess around. Case in point: this bow-embellished scene-stealer that will blow the competition out of the water. Let the bold hue speak for itself, and opt for a natural-looking pink lip and neutral-colored shadow.
8. & Other Stories Lace Dress ($145) + MAC Red Lipstick in Red Rock ($17): A red-hot dress is always a good idea, especially in terms of date-night dressing. Make jaws drop when you strut into the room in this look-at-me number that’s both ladylike and diva-approved. On the lipstick front, rock a shade of red that closely resembles the duds you’re donning for a flawless look.
9. Topshop Plunge Floral Jacquard Dress ($140) + NARS Audacious Lipstick in Janet ($32): A daring cropped plunge dress that’s OMG-worthy is exactly what the doctor ordered. Between dinner at that buzzy new address to schmoozing on a rooftop under the stars, you won’t run out of opportunities to bust this beauty out. With velvet heels and a playful magenta lip in the equation, you’ll have no problem owning the title of queen of the night.
10. Mango Velvet Dress ($120) + Nu Evolution Lipstick in Femme Fatale ($30): If you’re going to do the LBD thing, you’ve got to do it right — and that means rockin’ it with a bold shade of red lipstick. Take it there with a come-hither cat eye, a statement ring and patent booties FTW.
11. Warehouse Lace Halter Dress ($294) + Charlotte Tilbury “Hot Lips” Lipstick in Hot Emily ($32): Impressing the parents? Time to bring out the big guns. And this elegant lace number will effortlessly rack up the brownie points. DO pair with a cheerful coral lip and heirloom jewelry that’ll take you from sippin’ Champagne to owning the dance floor in easy-breezy fashion.
Follow us on Pinterest for more style inspo!
Brit + Co may at times use affiliate links to promote products sold by others, but always offers genuine editorial recommendations.
Still haven't taken up that new creative skills you swore you'd learn this year? Or ready to take your design skills to the next level? Let's say so long to the weirdest year ever by checking those big learn-something-new goals off our perpetual to-do lists.
We've teamed up with Clorox to give you the gift of unlimited creativity now through the end of the year. Once you sign up, you can take as many of our 120+ classes as you want for FREE for one whole month!
Here's how it works:
- Head to brit.co/learn and sign up for the "All Access Pass."
- Use the code "CLOROXCARES" at checkout to redeem your free month of classes.
- You will be automagically signed up for Clorox's email list once you redeem your free all access pass. (It's the #1 Choice for Disinfection!)
- Your pass lasts one month from when you checkout. This means you have unlimited access to all the classes during that month.
This offer is valid now through December 27, 2020.
Browse our catalog to find the right class for you, tell a friend and take the class together over Zoom, or organize a 'cocktails + crafts' night with a friend in your bubble so you can learn something new together.
What are you waiting for? Time to start learning all the things!
Thanks to Clorox for making this happen! When it counts, trust Clorox.