17 Essential Hats to Cap Off Your Winter Wardrobe
As far as winter dressing is concerned, there are a few non-negotiable pieces every girl should have in her wardrobe: duck boots (there’s no better defense against sleet and snow), a next-level puffer jacket, an It girl-approved longline coat and, of course, a show-stopping hat. While a chic topper might be the last thing on your mind, what with so many street style-worthy outerwear options filling your favorite stores and Insta feed this season, when it comes to keeping cozy in the face of freezing temps, they’re a bona fide lifesaver. And while you could slap any basic beanie on your head and call it a day, why not dial things up a notch with one of the 17 scene-stealing options below? Scroll on for styles to shop now, then check out some Boston and Chicago Instababe-approved cold weather picks to rock ’em with.
1. Free People Wild Things Trapper ($98): Over the top? A little. But let’s be real — since when were you one to shy away from the spotlight? If there ever was a winter topper destined to steal ALL the attention, it’s this furry number right here. Whether you team it with a heritage coat or pastel pink puffer, it’s guaranteed to inspire more than a few compliments.
2. Forever21 Veiled Pom-Pom Beanie ($10): Basic isn’t in your vocabulary, which is why you need a beanie that can live up to your haute standards. Enter the veiled beauty that will blow the competition out of the water. Teamed with a dramatic cat eye and a bold berry lip, it’s the piece that will usher your getup into #OOTD glory.
3. Mango Beads Wool Beret ($30): Hats off! Berets are the only way to keep the cool-weather worries away this season. Tap into your inner French girl and style this burgundy beauty alongside high-waisted denim, a ribbed turtleneck and a longline camel coat. Rouge lips and don’t-care hair are non-negotiable.
4. Topshop Leopard Knit Beanie Hat ($26): Even if a Kate Moss-approved leopard faux fur coat doesn’t jibe with your laid-back sense of style, you can still get in on the whole leopard-print-everything trend. Case in point: This exotic beanie packs plenty of panache, but won’t totally steal the show. Pop it on with a puffer, cashmere joggers and a pair of bright sneaks for an early morning gym sesh, or team it with a classy black cocoon coat for a wear-anywhere look.
5. Lack of Color Morrison Felt Hat ($98): Hello, hat of your dreams. Between the soft blush hue, bow embellishment and classic styling, this OMG-gorgeous topper will make you look at frigid temps in a whole new light — like the perfect opportunity to achieve glam greatness.
6. Zara Supersize Knit Pom-Pom Hat ($13): If you were all about rockin’ bright-and-bold pom-poms this summer, we have the perfect winter hat for you. Topped off with a multi-color oversized puff, this rib knit number is like a partay for your cabeza. Pop it on with a maxi teddy coat, embroidered booties and a structured crossbody bag for an afternoon of running errands or an evening spent fa-la-la-la-la-ing with friends.
7. Cara Winking Knit Beanie ($28): Show ’em who calls the shots with a topper that does all the talking. Not for wallflowers, the playful winking embroidery will be turning heads left and right the second you step out of the house.
8. Topshop Slogan Pom Beanie ($30): For those of us who just don’t do winter, this knit beanie is a saving grace. Beyond being crazy cozy, the cheerful yellow hue will make you feel like you’re carrying around your own personal ray of sunshine — much needed when the mid-winter blues start to settle in.
9. Free People Alpine Faux Fur Earmuffs ($20): If you’re not exactly a hat kind of gal, the mere thought of snow, sleet and wind is enough to elicit more than a few cringes. Keep hat hair and less-than-ideal weather in check by popping these pretty pink earmuffs on with a snuggly sweater, over-the-knee boots and an oversized scarf.
10. & Other Stories Wool Blend Beanie ($29): Minimalists, unite! Playing it cool doesn’t have to mean taking a pass on cutting-edge duds. This simple knit cap makes a statement without going over the top with dark, dramatic panels of black and navy blue. Style it alongside a metallic down jacket and Doc Martens for a don’t-mess ensemble that’ll show Old Man Winter what’s up.
11. ONAR Glass Fur Hat ($365): Step aside, blasé beanies and tried-and-true fedoras — there’s a new player in town. Inject MAJOR personality into your #OOTD with this icy blue trapper featuring soft faux fur and serious ‘tude. For a non-fussy off-duty look, team it with a velvet bodysuit, high-waisted jeans and of-the-moment loafers.
12. & Other Stories Crown Hat With Scarf ($55): Who doesn’t love a double-duty piece that makes winter dressing a snap? When the act of coordinating your scarf and hat feels like *too much,* whip out this two-in-one stunner that brings the It-girl vibes like none other. The scarf-and-hat duo has major man-repelling potential, especially when styled with a dramatic printed overcoat, midi dress and velvet platforms (paired with shimmery socks, of course).
13. ASOS Rib Bright Blue Faux Fur Pom Beanie ($19): Baby, when it’s cold outside, this is the winter-approved hat you want on standby. Go on ahead and let it snow, because this vibrant piece has got you covered.
14. Cara Embellished Beanie ($32): Enter the cold weather-approved hat that will take you from sipping golden milk (and maybe nibbling a cheeky croissant) at your favorite coffee shop to pounding the pavement on your way to the office. It’s just what the stylist ordered in terms of providing maximum warmth without compromising your fine-tuned sense of style. And rest assured the glitzy pearl embellishments will work overtime to keep you looking fly on even the swankiest of occasions.
15. & Other Stories Felt Cap ($55): Blending in with the crowd isn’t even an option when it comes to this berry red cap that’s more than just a little bit ah-mazing. Pair it with a faux fur vest, cozy sweater and joggers for a glam DGAF off-the-clock look, or toss it on with corduroys, metallic Oxfords and a check coat for a prepster-approved ensemble laced with plenty of It-girl flair.
16. Mango Ribbed Beanie ($26): Keep things on the DL with this throwback beanie that reps your fave decade. It doesn’t matter if you’re rolling out of bed for an early morning yoga class or jogging around the block — this throw-on-and-go hat does it all.
17. Kate Spade New York Bow Beanie ($48): Hello, gorgeous! It’s not every day you come across a bright beanie with this much flirty, feminine appeal. Between the sassy red hue and playful bow embellishment, this hero piece is guaranteed to become a regular in your rotation this season. Dress it up with a sequin-studded blouse and velvet trousers for an upcoming holiday fête, or dial it down with a longline cardigan, raw edge denim and leopard print ankle boots. It’s a win-win.
Follow us on Pinterest for more style inspo!
Brit + Co may at times use affiliate links to promote products sold by others, but always offers genuine editorial recommendations.
Fall is right around the corner, and we're getting amped up for our next session of Selfmade, Brit + Co's 10-week interactive startup school. Designed to help you create a new business or grow your existing one, this course is personally led by Brit + Co founder Brit Morin and co-founder Anjelika Temple, and supported by more than a dozen of the top female entrepreneurs, creatives, and investors in the country. Students receive personalized coaching on everything from how to get out of your comfort zone to how to scale your business, and everything in between. And now, thanks to Office Depot, even more of you can join the course!
For the fall session, we're thrilled to team up with Office Depot to grant 200 FREE scholarship seats to the course. Scholarships are open to US residents, focusing on women of color, women from underserved and underrepresented communities, and women in need of support to help them trail-blaze. After all, we firmly believe that your support system is a huge part of how you achieve greatness, and we are here to cheer all of you on.
To nominate yourself or someone you know for a scholarship, head to our nomination form right here. The deadline for scholarship nominations is September 27th — it's time to take the leap!
Beyond the scholarship, Office Depot is all about helping you accomplish more. Whether it be the start phase, growth phase or keep businesses going phase, Office Depot offers a full suite of business solutions, including services and products, to help you work from anywhere, organize and save time and help build your brand.
So what are you waiting for? Take a chance on yourself and get yourself one step closer to truly being selfmade. Learn more about the Selfmade program, apply for a scholarship and prepare to be inspired :)