20 Puffer Jackets That Are Anything but Basic
Soon enough, a lightweight denim jacket or transitional field jacket won’t be enough to keep the nippy November temps at bay. Major bummer, we know. Before you reach for last season’s It bomber or bring out your prized wool camel coat from hiding, we’ve got news. Listen up: If the fall runway shows are any indication, then it’s only a matter of time before every Instababe on the block is sporting a street-chic puffer. Yes, we’re dead serious. Those puffy and ever-so-slightly hideous toppers you sported in grade school (in Barbie pink, no less) are officially making a comeback. Scroll down for 20 cool girl-approved puffas you’ll actually wear IRL. Our only advice: Go bold or go home — and don’t leave home without a pair of fly mirrored sunnies, ‘cause you’re just that fierce.
1. Forever 21 Patch Puffer Jacket ($38): Step aside, embroidered denim jackets and collegiate-inspired bombers — there’s a new topper in town that’s way less mainstream. Inject major personality into your #OOTD with this royal blue puffer featuring rad emoji-inspired patches and a signature striped trim. For a non-fussy date-night look, team it with a lace-up bodysuit, a denim button-front skirt and old-school Chuck Taylors.
2. SAM. Freestyle Jacket ($295): Before you know it, upcoming Thanksgiving get-togethers will be replaced with impromptu trips to the ski resort and back-to-back snow days. For those exact instances, it would behoove you to be equipped with a fluorescent quilted jacket with this much traffic-stopping potential. When you’re not wearing it to hit the slopes, it’ll look just as stylish tossed alongside a flannel button-down, a wool mini and leather slip-on sneaks.
3. TNA Botanie Jacket ($85): Let’s hear it for packable puffers that can be spotted at least a mile away. When a fisherman sweater and chambray shirt reads blasé, whip out this sporty jacket that brings the boss lady vibes — you best believe it has man-repelling potential when styled with a sultry slip dress (layered over a turtleneck sweater, of course), black trousers and a deep red pout.
4. Zara Quilted Jacket With Hood ($199): Fearless is your middle name, and you don’t take no for an answer. When it comes to slaying from a.m. to p.m., you need not look far for style resolutions. This sleek and shiny black puffer, complete with a faux fur hood, will serve as the real MVP in your capsule wardrobe this season. Pair with black culottes and pointed-toe ankle boots for the office before switching into a swishy metallic pleated skirt and lace-up ghillies for a GNO or post-work networking sesh.
5. Joe Fresh Colour Block Puffer Jacket ($69): Baby, it’s cold outside… but that’s not stopping you from whipping out this winter-approved color block puffer alongside a Brooklyn-bound beanie and snow boots. Let it be known: It’s just as cozy as it looks. *Adds to cart without hesitation.*
6. Zara Short Anorak ($119): Enter the cold weather-approved goldenrod anorak that will take you from grabbing a latte from your favorite coffee shop to commuting to work by foot. It’s just the thing to toss on when you’re seeking minimal warmth, but don’t want to be dressed like you’re on the North Pole. Rest assured the raised collar and hood will work overtime to keep you toasty when the first taste of winter hits.
7. Topshop Slogan Puffer Jacket ($130): Blending in with the crowd isn’t even an option when it comes to this oversized shiny black puffer that’s more than just a little intimidating. Anything to fend off any potentially creepy guys at the bar — let the lettering on the back of your jacket do ALL the talking. Pair it with your grumpiest sweats for a DGAF ‘tude or toss it over a bodycon midi dress for a night out with your partner in crime.
8. H&M Padded Jacket ($60): Just in case you ever wondered what it would be like to dress like a big ol’ fluffy marshmallow, here’s your chance. Just kidding (sort of). You laugh now, but come Black Friday, you’ll be elated you decided to invest in a puffer that keeps you this toasty and snug. The drawstring hem and high stand-up collar can be adjusted to fit your frame for an extra dose of cozy. *Praise hands emoji.*
9. Ivy Park Oversized Bonded Puffer ($200): Um, YAS. It doesn’t matter if you’re rolling out for an early 8am class at SoulCycle or walking your pooch around the block — this holographic puffer demands respect. It’s just that boss and ready to put up a fight.
10. ASOS Puffa Oversized Cape Jacket With Padded Collar and Hood ($151): THIS is what you wear when the season’s first polar vortex hits and you can barely feel your toes (give or take a hooded sweatshirt, cashmere gloves and shearling boots). Not only will this oversized cape-turned-jacket in disguise keep you ridiculously snug, but it’ll block out the elements — think: rain, sleet and snow — in style. AKA, it’s a keeper.
11. Mango Quilted Gilet ($120): For seasonably warm fall days, you need a wear-anywhere quilted gilet in your life that plays well with chambray shirts, corduroy skirts and riding boots galore. (Throw in a pile of fall leaves and you’ve got all the workings of an Insta-worthy autumn scene.) Teamed with a plaid blanket scarf and suede desert boots in tow, this navy sleeveless puffer is guaranteed to be on repeat all November (and beyond). Sorry, not sorry, but #basic has never looked so good.
12. Zara Quilted Anorak ($129): While puffers generally get a rep for being overly gangster, sporty or simply too downtown for your uptown sensibilities, this ultra-girly millennial pink quilted anorak is nothing of the sort. It’s made to be teamed with a velvet pinafore dress or a preppy gingham popover shirt and tassel loafers. Not to mention the cropped silhouette makes layering a breeze — just toss it on and go for a pretty and polished look.
13. Topshop Quilted Puffer Jacket ($135): Keep things on the DL with this RiRi-inspired puffer featuring a faux fur hood and no shortage of swagger. Day or night, work or play, this is the wardrobe workhorse you won’t be able to live without. Complete the look with some Apple Bottom jeans and those boots with the fur (you know the ones) for a night of debauchery or a stint downtown.
14. Topshop Satin Puffer Jacket ($150): Introducing the unsuspecting autumnal hue your wardrobe needs more of. If mustard isn’t already in heavy rotation, then by all means, don’t waste another second debating whether or not you need this quilted beaut in your life. Turn up the wow factor with a sateen blouse, high-waisted flares and platform ankle boots.
15. Missguided Satin Quilted Bomber Jacket ($60): Now, here’s a quilted puffer that screams werk it. But in all seriousness, no excuses — with this army green satin bomber on standby, you best be bringing your A-game. An off-duty baseball cap, high-performance leggings, combat boots and a go-get-em ‘tude will be required for a street-chic getup that hits the mark.
16. Zara Short Camouflage Print Quilted Coat ($100): ICYMI: Camouflage is kind of having a moment. Do the season’s military trend right with this camo print quilted topper that means serious business. Who cares if single digits are in the forecast when you have an excuse to channel your inner GI Jane and reach for combat boots at the ready?
17. Silence + Noise Storm Puffer Jacket ($119): What to wear when you’re always so freakin’ cold? This maroon-hued quilted puffer is the casual-cool topper you always wanted, but never felt cool enough to pull off. DO sport it to the boardroom with a crisp button-down and a pencil skirt before dialing it way down with leather joggers and some Adidas Superstars on the weekend. Pssst: It’s also water-resistant and insulated for extra warmth and protection against the elements.
18. Zara Metallic Quilted Jacket ($100): When you have a quilted metallic puffer this fly on standby, it would be a sartorial crime — not to be overly dramatic or anything — to let it gather dust in the back of your closet. As if you would pass up an opportunity to slip this futuristic quilted jacket on for a fall tailgate, a Sunday spent running errands or, our personal favorite, “just because.” Proceed to team it with daytime metallics and cool girl-approved Chelsea boots for all the style points this season.
19. Silence + Noise Ezra Alt Vegan Leather Puffer Jacket ($119): Just wrapped up a fist-pumping workout at the gym? Say no more. Slip this tough girl-approved vegan leather puffer on alongside a crop top, lace-up leggings and Yeezys for a weekend uniform that puts your old Juicy tracksuits to shame.
20. Boden Windermere Puffer Coat ($288): Hello, gorgeous! It’s not every day you stumble across a cozy puffer with this much around-the-clock appeal. Between the burgundy tone and luxe faux fur hood, this hero piece is guaranteed to get maximum wear this season. Pare it down with leather pants and leopard print ankle booties for a London look, or class it up with a drop-waist dress and sparkly dancin’ shoes come after-hours. It’s a win-win.
How will you be styling your downtown-inspired puffer this fall? Follow us on Pinterest for more colorful outfit inspo!
Brit + Co may at times use affiliate links to promote products sold by others, but always offers genuine editorial recommendations.