These 18 Longline Coats Are It Girl Approved
As far as your winter wardrobe is concerned, a great coat — one that strikes the ultimate balance between cozy and chic — is worth 10 pairs of Insta-worthy ankle boots or hot-off-the-runway It bags. Because let’s be real — they’re the centerpiece of every cold-weather ensemble and the first thing people will notice when you hit the streets. If OTT puffers and faux fur toppers aren’t your thing, your minimalist sensibilities will feel right at home in the latest outerwear trend dominating the #OOTD scene: longline coats. Elongated silhouettes are popping up everywhere, lending a note of androgynous edge to French girl-inspired getups and boho chic ensembles alike. Translation: These bad boys are the wardrobe hero pieces you didn’t even know you needed — and we’ve pulled the best of the bunch for your sartorial pleasure. Scroll on for 18 ankle-grazing overcoats that are guaranteed to keep the compliments rolling in all season long.
1. Zara Check Maxi Coat ($149): Check and mate. While you may not have blizzards on the brain when shopping for a classy wool coat, this oversized number most definitely has your back. Boasting plenty of room for snuggly sweaters and an ultralight down layer, it’ll make venturing out in the elements seem like a brilliant — effortless even — endeavor.
2. Missguided Longline Faux Wool Duster Coat ($108): In the dead of winter, color is key. Break away from a palette of black, white and gray and feast your eyes upon the peppy pink topper that will redefine the way you do cold weather dressing. Style it up for the office with a sharp shirt dress, rib knit turtleneck and Chelsea boots before busting it out for an upcoming GNO. Feel free to add a metallic top, stirrup trousers and v-shaped pumps.
3. Mango Cotton-Wool Blend Coat ($229): Proceed to get your classy lady on in this snow-white stunner that screams girlboss about town. Classic trenches and peacoats are SO yesterday. Not only does the neutral hue go with everything in your closet, but the minimalist silhouette is straight-up chic.
4. H&M Long Faux Fur Coat ($249): Blasé? Ha! This OTT overcoat is anything but. The color-block faux fur, zebra stripes and look-at-me buttons were totally made with your edgy side in mind and will feel right in line with your more-is-more approach to dressing. Toss it over a pair of black skinnies, a sleek turtleneck and studded pointed-toe boots for a bold look that’s guaranteed to become an Insta-sensation.
5. Topshop Boutique Tie Sleeve Trench Coat ($420): Temps are taking a serious dip, but don’t throw in the towel on the trusty trench just yet. Introducing the OMG-worthy trench that will have you heading outdoors on even the most frigid of days just to show it off. Don this contemporary cool topper with an architectural bag and bold lip and the glamazon ‘tude will follow.
6. Nicce London Longline Maxi Bomber Jacket ($166): Urban sophisticates will feel drawn to this It girl-approved bomber jacket that will put even your fave leather topper to shame. While slightly more fit for warmer locales than an icy New England winter, this edgy capsule wardrobe essential will most definitely be thrown into the mix on more than one occasion this season. Style it with a striped sweater dress, beanie and high top sneakers for a downtown look that will do your style proud.
7. & Other Stories Patchwork Wrap Coat ($275): Patchwork? Yes, please! When it comes to ticking all the boxes, this longline number is a pro. The oversized silhouette and elegant belt detail promise to keep you looking effortlessly chic on even the coldest of winter days. Just toss it on over wide-leg trousers and a boxy sweater for a fuss-free look that doubles for work and play.
8. Genuine People Double-Breasted Long Coat ($242): Oh, this old thing? Winter or fall, a great camel coat is always a sure thing. This double-breasted style, with its bold lapels and a classic silhouette, is no exception. It looks best teamed with a smart midi dress and ankle boots, but don’t be mistaken — come the weekend, it stuns with distressed denim, a striped tee and blanket scarf.
9. ELVI Hayley Hasselhoff Texture Knit Maxi Coat ($239): Found it: a striking striped coat that doesn’t feel OTT preppy. A bold vertical pattern makes this slouchy stunner feel street style-approved and provides your closet with a much-needed alternative to the heritage coats currently blowing up your Insta feed. For maximum impact, style this streamlined outer layer with an A-line skirt and OTK boots, or go boho with corduroy flares and an ethereal blouse. Either way, you’ll be turning heads this season.
10. & Other Stories Kimono Coat ($275): With party season upon us, you’re going to need a scene-stealing coat to go alongside your arsenal of dance floor-ready frocks. With its bombshell shade of red and sophisticated kimono styling, this gorgeous longline number is just the thing. Dial up the glamour by throwing it over a sequin-studded shift dress and saucy ankle-strap heels.
11. ASOS Boyfriend Coat in Check Print ($151): Among all of your workweek wonders, there’s something to be said for a class-act coat that never steers you wrong. (Because you don’t have time to mess around with less-than-ah-mazing outerwear.) Allow this down-to-business check topper to make your commute chicer, and attract round-the-clock compliments.
12. Zara Long Crossover Coat ($249): What’s the first thing you reach for when you have less than 10 minutes to get out the door? We’ll let you in on a little style secret: this mixed media topper right here. A great coat is the key to perfecting your roll-out-of-bed-and-go routine, and trust us — you’ll find yourself reaching for this crossover coat again and again. Class it up with a boyfriend button-down, pinstriped trousers and smart loafers.
13. H&M Wool-Blend Coat ($149): Coolest topper of the season? This pinstriped option has it in the bag. You best believe this menswear-inspired wool coat will keep you snug at the first sight of snow AND simultaneously earn you serious style cred. Both on-the-job and after-hours ready, it’ll work overtime to protect you from the elements. Don’t leave the house without adding a metallic pleated skirt and bright oversized sweater to the equation.
14. ASOS Trapeze Coat in Wool Blend With Fur Collar ($143): Don’t expect to fly under the radar when you take this beautiful berry colored coat along for the ride. Proceed to style it with mom jeans, a Victorian blouse and mismatched earrings for anything from a romantic dinner with bae to a casual Friday at the office.
15. & Other Stories Long Fuzzy Coat ($275): When a bit of fuzz meets a classic camel coat, the result is dramatically elegant. Just how cozy does this longline option look? It’s begging to be styled with a silky slip dress (layered, of course!), combat boots and a top-handle bag for a fabulously badass cold weather uniform.
16. Zara Long Coat ($199): Rule number one: Don’t mess with a classic. Like a good ol’ LBD, a clean-cut coat in a timeless shade of black is an essential no wardrobe should be without. Balance out the polished vibes with a way-chic athleisure getup, complete with leather joggers, fresh Stan Smiths and a rib knit turtleneck. Oversized shades and luxe backpacks are highly encouraged.
17. Free People Anaheim Coat ($228): Lazy girls, get excited — mastering that whole adulting thing when all you want to do is stay in bed is about to become a cinch thanks to this snuggly plaid coat that looks just as flawless with a knit pencil skirt as relaxed trousers and platform kicks. The effortless design and snap closure make it incredibly easy to slip on at a moment’s notice for incredible style on the fly.
18. Genuine People Army Green Cashmere Coat ($399): Feeling a little bit splurgy? Treat yo’self to this wow-worthy military-esque trench. The sharp styling and of-the-moment appeal (and let’s not forget about that luxe cashmere fabric) will make you want to whip out the plastic. Style it with black culottes, a statement sweater and modern hoops for a double-tap-worthy look.
Follow us on Pinterest for more style inspo!
Brit + Co may at times use affiliate links to promote products sold by others, but always offers genuine editorial recommendations.