Our 8 Go-To Face Scrubs for Exfoliating Your Way to Better Skin in 2016
Let’s talk beauty resolutions. This year, we’re taking the idea of ringing in the new year with a clean slate quite literally by adding one much-needed product to our skin care routines: an exfoliant. The face scrubs are an essential but often-missed part of a thorough skin care regimen, taking daily cleansing and moisturizing to works-even-better-for-you levels by getting rid of dry, dull skin and revealing a renewed and refreshed complexion underneath. And that goes for any skin type, as long as you’re careful (no shame in consulting your dermatologist or an aesthetician before you start!). We’ve rounded up eight of our favorite exfoliants for every skin issue below. Scroll through for inspo on how to scrub your way to better skin in 2016.
Face Scrub for Sensitive Skin
1. HANA Organics Lavender Grains ($36): Sensitive-skinned gals should avoid abrasive and chemical-based scrubs in favor of a more mild substance. These lavender grains are a great option, coming in a water-activated dry formula that will scrub away dead skin cells without the risk of irritation.
2. Josh Rosebrook Active Enzyme Exfoliator ($60): If your skin is neither oily nor dry, you can get away with using just about any exfoliant. That said, if you’re in need of a complexion makeover, this natural treatment, containing fruit enzymes and ground walnut shells, sloughs off dead skin cells like a boss.
Face Scrub for “Normal” Skin (Neither Dry Nor Oily)
3. MyChelle Fruit Enzyme Scrub ($18): Oilier skin types benefit from a clarifying scrub, making this natural formula a good bet. This scrub uses gentle jojoba beads to dissolve the gunk in your pores and eliminate dead skin cells, so you’ll be left with a refreshed and renewed mug.
Face Scrub for Oily Skin
4. REN Micro Polish Cleanser ($30): Those with blemish-prone skin will benefit from using a chemical exfoliator versus an abrasive scrub. Pick up something like this AHA-filled formula, which will get at clogged pores and bacteria far below the surface.
Face Scrub for Acne-Prone Skin
Face Scrub for Dry Skin
6. Dr. Brandt Skincare Microdermabrasion Skin Exfoliant ($78): Aging skin will benefit from an AHA (aka alpha hydroxy acid) formula. The chemical exfoliant penetrates skin to a deeper level, helping eliminate dryness and signs of aging, like fine lines and discoloration. This particular option is made specifically for aging skin.
Face Scrub for Aging Skin
7. NUDE Skincare Detox Brightening Fizzy Powder ($42): Get uneven skin glowing with gentle yet effective exfoliation. The powder takes on a fun and fizzy consistency when activated by water, easily removing dead skin to leave your complexion bright and more evenly toned.
Face Scrub for Uneven Skin
8. Caudalie Gentle Buffing Cream ($35): In some cases, it’s best to avoid exfoliating irritated skin at all, as it can further aggravate the sensitivity. For those in need of a refresher, it’s important to focus on using only the most gentle and hydrating of products. This rich cream is a super gentle exfoliator, eliminating impurities and dead skin cells while creating a soothed and radiant complexion.
Face Scrub for Red, Irritated Skin
It can be intimidating to step out on your own and build a business from the ground up. As part of our collaboration with Office Depot, we're talking with Selfmade alum and solopreneur Colette Lawrence, the faith-based motivator and relationship builder behind The M.E.E. Movement, about ways in which women in business can find success.
B + C: How did you know M.E.E. Movement was your business to start?
The M.E.E Movement represents motivation, empowerment, and encouragement for women. It is what represents me. I did not know at first that it was my business to start, but then the thought of monetizing what I loved came to me. It scared me, however. I registered the business in July 2020 and have been slowly building my wings since.
B + C: What's one strategy that's helped you start your business?
Thinking through and researching what the requirements are to start my business, and then asking questions of people who are in the business. Not all advice worked; however, it helped me to figure out what I needed to do and not to do.
B + C: Did you always know life coaching would be your entrepreneurial path?
(Smiles) No, I did not. I 'stumbled" on it. I knew that people were always coming to me for advice and I found that I loved having conversations with them, especially with women, young and old.
B + C: What was your most valuable takeaway from Selfmade?
My most valuable takeaway was the first day of training: Get out of your own way. There were a lot of great moments and important takeaways from every presenter. However, getting out of my own way, pushing past doubts, was for me my most valuable takeaway. Doing something that I had never done before took courage. If I do not focus on what is happening with me mentally then I cannot deliver to my clients successfully.
B + C: What's one piece of advice you would give to female entrepreneurs on the brink of starting?
Get out of your head. You have something to offer. You have what you need to succeed so go ahead and do it.
B + C: How do you stay motivated?
I stay motivated by listening to music and listening to motivational speakers, and sometimes someone will just reach out and talk about the impact that I made in their life. That adds the extra juice or sauce I need to pummel through the day.
B + C: What's your best organizational tip?
Keep a diary and journal. It's the best way for me to keep organized and it also provides a source motivation as I record not only my "losses" but my wins as well.
B + C: Who inspires you in the entrepreneurial space?
Shirley Toliver – She motivates and empowers and makes me always want to show up.
B + C: What has receiving the Office Depot scholarship to Selfmade done to help you start or grow your business?
The scholarship was a blessing in that all the areas that were covered offered valuable information that I needed, from social media to HR. As a new business owner, I needed to know this to increase my own personal awareness in what it takes to run a successful business. The candidness of the presenters made it easy to see myself in their shoes and helped me to realize that I can also get there.
Want to feel motivated to take the next step for your business? Let Office Depot OfficeMax give you the confidence you need with a suite of business services & solutions to help you put your best foot forward. Make a good first impression with business cards & build the business pitch of your dreams with custom presentations. With Office Depot OfficeMax you'll find the tools to reach new customers with confidence.
Head to Office Depot's Selfmade page to check out even more amazing business resources (and discounts!) to help you accomplish more on your entrepreneurial journey. These offers are available for a limited time only, so be sure to take advantage of all this goodness while supplies last. Want to join the next Selfmade cohort this summer? Check out all of the scholarship details right here.