Anthro to Zara: How to Dress for Every Fall Event for Under $100
More so than any other time of year, events are all over the map come fall. Case in point, wedding season stragglers, daytime save-the-dates, back-to-school socials and Thanksgiving festivities are already packing our cals and September hasn’t even started (phew!). Shopping for the perfect outfit for each soirée can feel just as frantic as sorting out that stuffed schedule, so we’re stepping in to help with 16 wardrobe pieces and accessories essential for any fall event. Consider this list a one-stop shop for all of your party plans — on their own, these pieces are sure to punch up your existing collection of dressy clothes or mix and match the items on this list to find a brand-new, head-to-toe head-turner. Shop for it now, look fabulous later.
1. Anthropologie Berry Maquette Ring ($68): What’s the point of attending a cocktail party without a boss cocktail ring in tow? This mismatched geometric ring — in a swoon-worthy combo of rose gold and marbled finishes — gives the always-elegant bauble a modern update.
2. American Apparel Sheer Spiral Pantyhose ($14): Save your breezy formal maxi dresses from one-time wear with the patterned tights that would look especially hot peeking out of a skirt with a thigh-high slit.
3. ASOS Skinnydip Fax Fur Occasion Clutch in Oxblood ($63): RSVPed last minute? Rely on your trusty LBD, but tote along a statement clutch to make the outfit feel specially planned out. You can never go wrong with a sequined option or a bag that comes in a kooky shape, but we’re really feeling these faux fur numbers this fall.
4. Charles & Keith Fringed Loafers ($57): This fall, metallics are the new black, and — to the delight of your feet — loafers are the new heels. This pair will punch up any midi dress, mini skirt or wide-legged pant.
5. Forever 21 Layered Textured Dress ($25): Break the biggest fall fashion rule and wear a LWD all season long (spoiler alert: you can get away with it regardless, but it’s always fun to feel like a fashion rebel). Still, if want it to feel as seasonally appropriate as possible, pick a white ditty that’s got greater coverage (read: sleeves + no cutouts) and constructed with a thicker fabric.
6. H&M Sleeveless Jumpsuit ($50): You can never go wrong with a formal jumpsuit. This season, update your polished toss-on-and-go piece with a navy number like this tailored one-piece with extra elegant tuxedo detailing and a swanky sash.
7. J.Crew Ombre Crystal Bracelet ($95): The price is worth the aaahs! you’ll get alone, but honestly, how could you not feel fancy with this iridescent sparkler around your wrist?
8. LOFT Metallic Cuff Ponytail Holder Set ($25): Now even the messiest of ponies can look polished with these cuffed elastics.
9. Madewell Stembend Earrings ($25): Take your everyday minimalist studs to the next level for your fall events with a pair of angular crawlers or drops.
10. Mango Pleated Midi Skirt ($89): Flowy, feminine and totally forgiving when it comes to food babies. Make a pleated midi skirt your Thanksgiving dinner go-to paired with a loose cami and lace-up flats.
11. Need Supply Farrow Nightfall Sweatshirt ($88): Every girl needs a fancy knit in her fall wardrobe to pair with a slick pair of tapered trousers or to throw over a flared dress for a cozy-preppy touch. The 3D dot embellishments only adds to the elevated vibe.
12. & Other Stories Blue Morph Print Dress ($90): We love how versatile graphic prints are. Like this shimmery, butterfly-inspired pattern that we’d wear to an early fall wedding, under a flowy fuchsia kimono with pumps, and right before winter with a dark lined trench, opaque tights and mod heeled boots.
13. Target One Fashion by Vero Moda Women’s Boyfriend Linen Blazer Tropical Peach ($18): While a black blazer may feel like a go-to, this fall, give the tailored layer a chance in a softer neutral like this blush color, that would look like a dream over other unexpected fall colors like army green trousers, a fawn brown dress or paired with a bright yellow top.
14. Topshop Plunge V-Neck Cami ($30): When a dress is out of the cards, a cami is a formal outfit essential — it looks just as chic with black crepe joggers and pumps for an all-hands happy hour as it does paired with a slitted midi skirt and block heels, especially in trendy cobalt blue.
15. Urban Outfitters Suede Bessie Heel ($79): Party heels got a very chunky ‘70s-inspired makeover that makes it finally appropriate to call them dancing shoes.
16. Zara Striped Trousers ($70): It’s easy to make a statement with your trousers this season — bold prints and patterns are taking over the lower-half cover ups — so you should learn to embrace it, with a boatneck sweater for more conservative events or a fitted mock neck crop top when you want to let loose.
These pieces are sure to punch up your existing collection of dressy clothes. Tell us how you plan to wear them, in the comments.