There’s a cool new lip look trending on social media that has nothing to do with Kylie Jenner. Lip top coats have earned major accolades from top beauty players for their ethereal payoff, delivered over lipstick or in a solo act. “Top coats I’ve worked with are either packed with glitter or holographic,” says makeup pro Ashleigh Ciucci. Pucker up to the season’s most talked-about launch using our cheat sheet below.
1. Urban Decay Vice Special Effects Long-Lasting Water-Resistant Lip Topcoat ($18): Offered in 12 shades of awesome, this satiny finish transforms any lipstick color to shimmer, metallic, or glitter in a single swipe. Bonus: The gel-cream formula dries down quickly so it’ll stay put long after the rest of your makeup pulls the fade away.
2. bareMinerals Marvelous Moxie Iridescent Top Coat ($5): Feeling nostalgic for ’90s beauty? Channel that frosty lip you knew and loved with this shade-shifter. The sheer formula instantly morphs existing color into a shiny, creamy pastel.
3. PUR My Little Pony: The Movie Glitter Lip Gloss Topper ($16): Inspired by My Little Pony: The Movie, each glittery lip slick is named after a character from the blockbuster’s Mane 6 squad. “The glitter top coat adds a glistening shine to any lipstick,” adds Ciucci.
4. Stila Glitterati Lip Top Coat ($22): Think: megawatt sparkle. The ultra-fine pearls cradled in a clear water base make this dazzling formula something to grin about. Pair Transcend with a neutral or pink base or Ignite with reds and berries.
5. NYX V’Amped Up! Lip Top Coat ($7): Make a daytime lip a little sassier for night with this pencil that’ll nudge your shade slightly deeper in one application. In an ironic twist, the vampy lippy also infuses softness upon contact with shea butter and vitamin E.
6. Jouer Long-Wear Lip Topper ($16): Say hello to luscious lips with this finish, offered in six metallic or shimmery shades. YouTube phenom Jeffree Star even crafted his own pink version for the line called Sweet Tooth.
Tweet us your favorite lip top coat @BritandCo!
Brit + Co may at times use affiliate links to promote products sold by others, but always offers genuine editorial recommendations.