While J.Crew may be the OG of preppy Breton and mariner stripes, there are plenty of other under-the-radar brands to fuel your stripe obsession. ‘Cause hello, it’s summertime, and this girl can’t survive a season of Montauk getaways and picnics in the park without a regular rotation of sailor stripes within reach. Although often associated with RWB-official holidays (like the Fourth of July and Labor Day), the beauty of perennial stripes is their year-round appeal. Keep scrolling for 12 brands that all you fellow stripe devotees can shop and appreciate RN.
1. Chinti & Parker: Ah, we heart it. London-based label Chinti & Parker delivers when it comes to reinvented stripes with a colorful twist. The addition of playful motifs like cherries, rain drops, and ladybugs will lend just the right amount of whimsy to your uniform of polka dots and checks. Brit + Co Pick: Chinti & Parker Blue Breton Stripe Heart Top ($175)
2. Kule: For the kewl kids on the block who swear by a daily wardrobe of perennial stripes, designer Nikki Kule curated her line of perfect striped t-shirts with a European aesthetic in mind. Choose your fit — classic, boyfriend, or modern — for a look that’s distinctly Alexa Chung or perhaps a bit more Picasso. Brit + Co Pick: Kule The Boyfriend in Grey/Navy ($128)
3. Solid & Striped: Get ready to make a splash with one of Solid & Stripes’ ultra-flattering swimsuits — done up in classic horizontal and vertical stripes, no less — that will have you channeling a Roman holiday on the Amalfi Coast. For all your après swim shenanigans, try teaming this cherry red tent stripe one-piece with some vintage Levi’s and an OOO mentality. Brit + Co Pick: Solid & Striped The Chelsea in Cherry Stripe ($168)
4. J.Crew: You’ve got to give J.Crew cred where it’s due (they are the innovators behind National Stripes Day, after all). Season after season, they’re known for their arsenal of timeless stripe staples, as well as delightfully unexpected plays on all your beloved classics. Exhibit A: Check out dem frilly gingham sleeves — we’re sold. Brit + Co Pick: J.Crew Lightweight Striped Off-the-Shoulder Sweater ($90)
5. ME+EM: Word on the street is that Kate Middleton swears by ME+EM’s Breton stripes on the reg. BRB, gonna load up on a slew of boatneck tees for our summer capsule wardrobe. Just you wait: This perennially chic (more like, eternally summer) slouchy striped tee will be a soon-to-be staple in your closet. Brit + Co Pick: ME+EM Sleeveless Summer Top ($41)
6. Maison Labiche: Nail the French girl lewk with one of Maison Labiche’s charming embroidered striped tees featuring cheeky sayings like “boys don’t cry” and “enchantee.” Quality craftsmanship and an attention to detail are at the heart of this premium Parisian brand. Ooh-la-la is right. Brit + Co Pick: Maison Labiche Enchantee Short Sleeve Sailor Shirt ($88)
7. Sundry Clothing: Despite Sundry Clothing’s Venice Beach roots, their coastal casual vibe is undeniably French. Shop an entire section dedicated to maritime stripes, including this “hello sailor” tee that can be worn from sand to sea (and beyond). Brit + Co Pick: Sundry Clothing Striped Hello Sailor Tee ($92)
8. Saint James: J.Crew aficionados will find a friend in Saint James (the two have actually joined forces in the past for a collab or two). Thanks to their iconic Breton striped jersey tops, Saint James has practically become a household name among the seafaring crowd. Wear your nautical stripes with chinos for a beach bonfire or a knit fisherman sweater come fall harvest. Brit + Co Pick: Saint James Marine-Tulipe Minquiers Moderne ($75)
9. Orcival: Hit up Lyons-based brand Orcival for all your Bastille Day needs. Going strong since 1939, Orcival’s signature stripes exude that je ne sais quoi quality that characterize the French. We 10/10 recommend this red, blue, and cream striped top with a borrowed-from-the-boys fit. Crisp white jeans may be in order. Brit + Co Pick: Orcival Breton-Striped Cotton Top ($77)
10. MDS Stripes: Founded by beloved interior designer Mark D. Sikes, MDS Stripes has got you covered for all your upcoming seaside adventures. How could you go wrong with a brand founded upon a “lifelong love affair with blue and white stripes?” That’s right — you can’t. Enter the yachting party-ready vertical striped skirt that would do The Sartorialist’s Jenny Walton proud. Brit + Co Pick: MDS Stripes Grace Skirt ($145)
11. Madewell: J.Crew’s trendier sister brand Madewell is known to crank out its very own stripe iterations (think: a striped crew neck tee with tie-sleeves or a throw-on-and-go stripe t-shirt-dress) — basically anything to complement the brand’s artful-sexy-cool aesthetic. Brit + Co Pick: Madewell Striped Tie-Sleeve Tee ($50)
12. Amour Vert: A striped t-shirt dress can do no wrong, especially when it’s made from 100 percent organic cotton. Meet Amour Vert, “green love” in French, your destination for sustainable and stylish stripes that you’ll reach for every. Single. Day. Brit + Co Pick: Amour Vert Blake Short-Sleeve Dress ($98)
Where do you score your best striped summer statement pieces? Follow us on Pinterest for more style inspo!
Brit + Co may at times use affiliate links to promote products sold by others, but always offers genuine editorial recommendations.