There’s a list of things every stylish woman knows, and one of them, undoubtedly, is to take style cues from other fashionable femmes. Fashion Week is an especially prime time to put this principle into action, with history-making ensembles descending upon New York City’s bustling streets on the daily. Peacocking (AKA purposefully positioning yourself in front of eager street-style photographers) has dwindled significantly over the years — though Anna Dello Russo will always be an exception — leaving in its wake endless #OOTDs that can easily be recreated with the wares currently holding it down in your closet. Here, we’ve pulled some of our favorite Insta-babe-approved looks from the week that would fit in pretty nicely in the realm of your girl boss repertoire. Consider morning wardrobe conundrums a thing of the past.
1. Shirt Dress + SleevelessBlazer: Only have two seconds to pull together an on-the-job look that screams working-girl chic? This perfectly pieced together #OOTD is it. A simple shirt dress and sleeveless blazer have all the makings of a professional look without all the fuss, which is something we can all get behind. Pop on a pair of statement mules and take along a trusty satchel bag for a well-rounded ensemble.
2. Printed Dress + Ankle Strap Heels: Introducing the flawless outfit formula you can always turn to when morning motivation is short and the clock is a-ticking. Slip a floaty printed midi dress on with a statement belt and classy-lady heels, then hit the ground running to make it to the office on time. It’s really that easy. When the temps take a dip, throw a structured trench or cocoon coat into the mix to keep warm and cozy.
3. Culottes + Cold-Shoulder Top: On your rise to the top, an arsenal of girlboss duds with edge are so essential — you have to look the part, after all. We’ve scouted the ultimate outfit to get you started off on the right foot: a clever pairing of pocket-paneled culottes, red hot ankle boots and a well-balanced cold-shoulder blouse with a high neckline. The only thing missing from this powerhouse look? Statement earrings and lots of sass.
4. Fluted Hem Dress + Cropped Jacket + Block Heel Boots: Say sayonara to tired shifts and your average HR-approved LBD and venture straight into best-dressed-employee territory with this show-stopping ensemble. Pretty pastels take on a cool-girl ‘tude when teamed with structural silhouettes and fabrics with major RN appeal. The voluminous skirt and don’t-mess ankle boots are destined to get you noticed for all the right reasons. Don’t be surprised if you enter the office to standing applause.
5. Jumpsuit + Striped Blouse: Found it: the Insta-worthy office ensemble you’ve been waiting for all your life (or at least since you earned yourself the title of working girl). Stripes are a shoo-in for #boardroom life, but instead of busting them out with a set of snoozy trousers, style them alongside a cropped jumpsuit with a plunging neckline. Keeping the polish factor up to par is as easy as adding sleek, modern hoops and patent ankle boots.
6. A-Line Skirt + Printed Ruffle Blouse: Flirty yet functional, this sweet ensemble is what desk-to-drinks dressing dreams are made of. By day, team the classic silhouettes with a tweed jacket and Mary Janes for a pretty polished look, then channel your inner street style star for after-work shenanigans with embellished boots, a leather jacket and a glitzy clutch bag.
7. Velvet Blazer Dress: The most swoon-inducing nine-to-five ensemble around? This bad boy right here. A traditional workweek essential turns into a bonafide luxury item (that means to say comfy and downright DDG) with the help of silky velvet fabric. Break away from your all-black-everything routine with printed kicks and a colorful skinny scarf that epitomizes ladylike elegance for an effortless look that’ll blow the competition away.
8. Collared Shirt + Strappy Maxi Dress: Long live summer! The onset of fall doesn’t have to mean parting ways with your favorite warm-weather pieces. Take style cues from Jacey Duprie and give scandalous summer pieces the autumnal treatment by playing the layering game. A strappy, shoulder-baring frock instantly becomes the gold standard for the office when paired with a classic collared shirt.
9. Souped-Up Suits: Here’s a look that will totally make you question your aversion to corporate attire. A bold pattern spices up sleek suiting, bringing it up to meet your haute standards, while touches of metallics make the whole thing feel incredibly sophisticated, especially when paired with of-the-moment slides and understated jewelry.
10. Pencil Skirt + Pocket Tee: If casual Friday isn’t exactly a thing at your place of employment (denim is on the most-wanted list), consider this the outfit that will save you on days when you can’t take one more second of stuffy suiting. Pull out your fave pencil skirt (we’re big fans of this sleek side-slit style), and proceed to wear with a basic pocket tee and pared-down suede pumps or burgundy wing tips. It’s a #winning combination every. Single. Time.
11. One-Sleeve Blouse + Next-Level Trousers: You do you, girl. We love a good button-down-and-trouser combo, but sometimes you just need that little extra somethin’ somethin’, and this It girl-approved ensemble more than delivers. Hit remix on your workweek repertoire with not-your-average dress pants and an elegant blouse with edgy embellishments (architectural ruffles, anyone?). Killer kicks and girlboss accessories are non-negotiable.
12. Color Block Shift Dress + White Collared Shirt + Knee High Boots: Take your on-duty style for a walk down memory lane with RN pieces that scream ’70s chic. A color-block shift exudes timeless elegance that wins big-time points with the boss, while a bell-sleeved blouse and suede knee-high boots allow you to show off those award-winning style sensibilities.
13. Wide Leg Trousers + Graphic Tee + Blazer: Because wearing your Sunday best (read: sweats, sneakers and an oversized tee) to work isn’t going to fly, we’ve gone ahead and found the perfect alternative: a lazy girl take on the traditional suit. Wide-leg trousers and a boyfriend blazer serve up plenty of polish with a serious side of cozy — fake it ’til you make it, right? For a pop of playful color and visual intrigue (we’re thinking they’ll earn you some extra points for creativity), sandwich a bright graphic t-shirt in between, then round out the look with classic loafers.
14. Slip Dress + Victorian Blouse + Combat Boots: While this getup might not get HR’s stamp of approval if you work in a corporate setting, this slinky slip redux is prime time for a more laid-back office vibe. Get more mileage out of your fave ’90s essential by wearing it alongside a ruffled blouse and badass stompers for an enviable blend of fierce and feminine style.
Follow us on Pinterest for more style inspo!