These Are the 9 Things Every Stylish Woman Knows
Despite what they’d have you believe, the fashion set (shocker) wasn’t born with some otherworldly ability to pull together a flawless ensemble at a moment’s notice (well, most of them anyway). And it’s not access to designer threads or a lofty budget either (although a few It-girl-approved bags and steppers never hurt): It’s the result of a lot of careful planning and consideration — something we all can certainly do. Sure, it’s a pretty unglamorous secret, but hey — if it means that perfectly put-together style is always within reach, we’ll take it. Below, we’re divulging nine incredibly easy-to-follow tips that will instantly elevate your style game to It-girl status. (You can thank us later).
1. Get organized. A little planning goes a long way in the style department. Designers spend months piecing together the perfect ensemble to send down the catwalk, after all. And those gorgeous getups you see all over your Insta feed? Yeah, those required some thought too. Case in point: A killer outfit isn’t the result of sorcery or science. Instead of haphazardly throwing together an outfit that’ll just pass, take a few extra minutes in the evening to plan your outfit for the next day. This gives you the opportunity to play around with the different pieces in your closet, as well as add in a few extra accessories that’ll give your outfit a one-of-kind edge. The best part? This approach will actually buy you a few minutes of extra time in the morning — so go ahead, hit that snooze button one more time.
View this post on Instagram
A post shared by Candela Pelizza (@candela_________) on
2. Find the perfect fit. Even the most flawless pieces can look like questionable flea market finds when the fit isn’t quite right. Head to your closet and say sayonara to any too-small or too-large items (with the exception of intentionally oversized pieces — just make sure you’re not swimming in them). Even if you count them amongst your most-loved duds, they’ve simply got to go because they certainly aren’t doing your style any favors. If they’re still in good shape, try selling them for cash to put toward timeless pieces that fit like a glove.
View this post on Instagram
A post shared by Amlul.com (@galagonzalez) on
3. Show your clothes some serious TLC. Wear and tear shows, especially if you haven’t been treating your threads right. Always pay close attention to the care instruction on your clothes (and actually follow them) and treat spots and stains STAT. Prevent wrinkles by hanging things up immediately rather than tossing them on the floor (we also highly recommend investing a steamer to keep your clothes looking #onfleek at all times), and have a fabric shaver or sweater comb handy to keep pesky pilling fabric in check.
View this post on Instagram
Sometimes, you have to forget what you want... To remember what you deserve! 👌#forgiveness #getwhatyoudeserve . . . . . #instashot #mamato4 #headwrap #wrapqueen #srcarf #shorthairdontcare #picoftheday #yellow #ShoeDazzleGirl #shoedazzle #lookbook #fashionblogger #fashion #ootdstyle #ootdsubmit #ootd #dress #summer #bodycondress #brownskin #blackbeautyradar
A post shared by K e K e C a m e r o n (@kekecameron) on
4. Wear the right undergarments. Lumps, bumps and lines (not to mention accidental peep shows) caused by ill-fitting or inappropriate undergarments can make even the chicest of wardrobe essentials look sloppy. Before tossing on any ol’ pair of underwear or bra, take a second to consider the fabric and silhouette of the piece you plan on wearing. Slip dresses and bodycons call for a totally different set of underthings (hello, shapewear) than your go-to t-shirts and jeans.
5. Accessories are everything. You don’t need to drop bank on designer threads to put together a scene-stealing ensemble. It’s easy to make even the most blasé basics look like a million bucks if you have the right add-ons in tow. Instantly elevate a white button down and joggers with sleek drop earrings and luxe block heels, or team a glitzy box clutch with a classic LBD for just the right amount of wow factor. Take a less-is-more approach to your accessorizing routine; explore that fine line between not enough and too much by getting into the habit of removing one accessory before heading out the door and using the cut, shape and styling of your duds to inform your sartorial choices.
View this post on Instagram
A post shared by ZINA (@zinafashionvibe) on
6. Take cues from your surroundings. You gotta do you, girl, but do so intelligently. Weather and setting are crucial considerations when it comes to matters of style. An easy way to render an Insta-worthy ensemble straight-up ridiculous is by rocking duds that stand out — and not in a good way. Sky high stilettos are a poor choice in the dead of winter when sidewalks are slick, and that chic suede jacket has no business making an appearance on a 90-degree day — no matter what season you’re technically in. Arm yourself with chic versions of weather-appropriate essentials (think: rain boots, cozy winter coats, etc.) that you can feel good about wearing when the forecast takes an unexpected turn, and find new ways to create the look you want with items that make sense given the context.
In a similar vein, dressing for the occasion is also important. While wearing white after Labor Day is no longer a faux pas, there are a handful of fashion rules you should still follow — like taking dress codes into consideration. No one wants to be that person who shows up in jeans (even if accidentally) to a swanky event or a dangerously high hemline to meet the parents (a fashion disaster just waiting to happen). There’s a time and a place for everything — just make sure you’re choosing the right one.
7. Have a handful of foolproof pieces that you can reach for in a snap. Whether it’s a piece of signature jewelry, a sleek leather jacket or a pair of timeless tailored trousers, there are a handful of wardrobe essentials every girl should have on hand that can be called upon anytime, anywhere to instantly elevate any outfit. Not sure where to start? Check out our list of must-haves here.
8. Always have a backup plan. Your style sensibilities might be sent from the gods, but you’re only human — and life (a.k.a. snags, stains, etc.) happen. Create a fashion emergency kit, complete with stain removal pens, fashion tape, Band-Aids, safety pins, Still Standing spray and a few small sewing staples, to keep wardrobe conundrums from ruining your day.
View this post on Instagram
A post shared by Valentina Siragusa (@valentinasiragusa) on
9. Do you. The most important thing to always keep in mind is that style is an outward expression of who you are, and staying true to you is the easiest way to ensure sartorial success. Strutting around in ensembles that just don’t feel authentic to you — and therefore uncomfortable — can do a number on your confidence, no matter how on-trend they might be. Stick with what you love, and watch as the compliments start rolling in.
Follow us on Pinterest for more style inspo!
It can be intimidating to step out on your own and build a business from the ground up. As part of our collaboration with Office Depot, we're talking with Selfmade alum and solopreneur Colette Lawrence, the faith-based motivator and relationship builder behind The M.E.E. Movement, about ways in which women in business can find success.
B + C: How did you know M.E.E. Movement was your business to start?
The M.E.E Movement represents motivation, empowerment, and encouragement for women. It is what represents me. I did not know at first that it was my business to start, but then the thought of monetizing what I loved came to me. It scared me, however. I registered the business in July 2020 and have been slowly building my wings since.
B + C: What's one strategy that's helped you start your business?
Thinking through and researching what the requirements are to start my business, and then asking questions of people who are in the business. Not all advice worked; however, it helped me to figure out what I needed to do and not to do.
B + C: Did you always know life coaching would be your entrepreneurial path?
(Smiles) No, I did not. I 'stumbled" on it. I knew that people were always coming to me for advice and I found that I loved having conversations with them, especially with women, young and old.
B + C: What was your most valuable takeaway from Selfmade?
My most valuable takeaway was the first day of training: Get out of your own way. There were a lot of great moments and important takeaways from every presenter. However, getting out of my own way, pushing past doubts, was for me my most valuable takeaway. Doing something that I had never done before took courage. If I do not focus on what is happening with me mentally then I cannot deliver to my clients successfully.
B + C: What's one piece of advice you would give to female entrepreneurs on the brink of starting?
Get out of your head. You have something to offer. You have what you need to succeed so go ahead and do it.
B + C: How do you stay motivated?
I stay motivated by listening to music and listening to motivational speakers, and sometimes someone will just reach out and talk about the impact that I made in their life. That adds the extra juice or sauce I need to pummel through the day.
B + C: What's your best organizational tip?
Keep a diary and journal. It's the best way for me to keep organized and it also provides a source motivation as I record not only my "losses" but my wins as well.
B + C: Who inspires you in the entrepreneurial space?
Shirley Toliver – She motivates and empowers and makes me always want to show up.
B + C: What has receiving the Office Depot scholarship to Selfmade done to help you start or grow your business?
The scholarship was a blessing in that all the areas that were covered offered valuable information that I needed, from social media to HR. As a new business owner, I needed to know this to increase my own personal awareness in what it takes to run a successful business. The candidness of the presenters made it easy to see myself in their shoes and helped me to realize that I can also get there.
Want to feel motivated to take the next step for your business? Let Office Depot OfficeMax give you the confidence you need with a suite of business services & solutions to help you put your best foot forward. Make a good first impression with business cards & build the business pitch of your dreams with custom presentations. With Office Depot OfficeMax you'll find the tools to reach new customers with confidence.
Head to Office Depot's Selfmade page to check out even more amazing business resources (and discounts!) to help you accomplish more on your entrepreneurial journey. These offers are available for a limited time only, so be sure to take advantage of all this goodness while supplies last. Want to join the next Selfmade cohort this summer? Check out all of the scholarship details right here.