These Are the 9 Things Every Stylish Woman Knows
Despite what they’d have you believe, the fashion set (shocker) wasn’t born with some otherworldly ability to pull together a flawless ensemble at a moment’s notice (well, most of them anyway). And it’s not access to designer threads or a lofty budget either (although a few It-girl-approved bags and steppers never hurt): It’s the result of a lot of careful planning and consideration — something we all can certainly do. Sure, it’s a pretty unglamorous secret, but hey — if it means that perfectly put-together style is always within reach, we’ll take it. Below, we’re divulging nine incredibly easy-to-follow tips that will instantly elevate your style game to It-girl status. (You can thank us later).
1. Get organized. A little planning goes a long way in the style department. Designers spend months piecing together the perfect ensemble to send down the catwalk, after all. And those gorgeous getups you see all over your Insta feed? Yeah, those required some thought too. Case in point: A killer outfit isn’t the result of sorcery or science. Instead of haphazardly throwing together an outfit that’ll just pass, take a few extra minutes in the evening to plan your outfit for the next day. This gives you the opportunity to play around with the different pieces in your closet, as well as add in a few extra accessories that’ll give your outfit a one-of-kind edge. The best part? This approach will actually buy you a few minutes of extra time in the morning — so go ahead, hit that snooze button one more time.
View this post on Instagram
A post shared by Candela Pelizza (@candela_________) on
2. Find the perfect fit. Even the most flawless pieces can look like questionable flea market finds when the fit isn’t quite right. Head to your closet and say sayonara to any too-small or too-large items (with the exception of intentionally oversized pieces — just make sure you’re not swimming in them). Even if you count them amongst your most-loved duds, they’ve simply got to go because they certainly aren’t doing your style any favors. If they’re still in good shape, try selling them for cash to put toward timeless pieces that fit like a glove.
View this post on Instagram
A post shared by Amlul.com (@galagonzalez) on
3. Show your clothes some serious TLC. Wear and tear shows, especially if you haven’t been treating your threads right. Always pay close attention to the care instruction on your clothes (and actually follow them) and treat spots and stains STAT. Prevent wrinkles by hanging things up immediately rather than tossing them on the floor (we also highly recommend investing a steamer to keep your clothes looking #onfleek at all times), and have a fabric shaver or sweater comb handy to keep pesky pilling fabric in check.
View this post on Instagram
Sometimes, you have to forget what you want... To remember what you deserve! 👌#forgiveness #getwhatyoudeserve . . . . . #instashot #mamato4 #headwrap #wrapqueen #srcarf #shorthairdontcare #picoftheday #yellow #ShoeDazzleGirl #shoedazzle #lookbook #fashionblogger #fashion #ootdstyle #ootdsubmit #ootd #dress #summer #bodycondress #brownskin #blackbeautyradar
A post shared by K e K e C a m e r o n (@kekecameron) on
4. Wear the right undergarments. Lumps, bumps and lines (not to mention accidental peep shows) caused by ill-fitting or inappropriate undergarments can make even the chicest of wardrobe essentials look sloppy. Before tossing on any ol’ pair of underwear or bra, take a second to consider the fabric and silhouette of the piece you plan on wearing. Slip dresses and bodycons call for a totally different set of underthings (hello, shapewear) than your go-to t-shirts and jeans.
5. Accessories are everything. You don’t need to drop bank on designer threads to put together a scene-stealing ensemble. It’s easy to make even the most blasé basics look like a million bucks if you have the right add-ons in tow. Instantly elevate a white button down and joggers with sleek drop earrings and luxe block heels, or team a glitzy box clutch with a classic LBD for just the right amount of wow factor. Take a less-is-more approach to your accessorizing routine; explore that fine line between not enough and too much by getting into the habit of removing one accessory before heading out the door and using the cut, shape and styling of your duds to inform your sartorial choices.
View this post on Instagram
A post shared by ZINA (@zinafashionvibe) on
6. Take cues from your surroundings. You gotta do you, girl, but do so intelligently. Weather and setting are crucial considerations when it comes to matters of style. An easy way to render an Insta-worthy ensemble straight-up ridiculous is by rocking duds that stand out — and not in a good way. Sky high stilettos are a poor choice in the dead of winter when sidewalks are slick, and that chic suede jacket has no business making an appearance on a 90-degree day — no matter what season you’re technically in. Arm yourself with chic versions of weather-appropriate essentials (think: rain boots, cozy winter coats, etc.) that you can feel good about wearing when the forecast takes an unexpected turn, and find new ways to create the look you want with items that make sense given the context.
In a similar vein, dressing for the occasion is also important. While wearing white after Labor Day is no longer a faux pas, there are a handful of fashion rules you should still follow — like taking dress codes into consideration. No one wants to be that person who shows up in jeans (even if accidentally) to a swanky event or a dangerously high hemline to meet the parents (a fashion disaster just waiting to happen). There’s a time and a place for everything — just make sure you’re choosing the right one.
7. Have a handful of foolproof pieces that you can reach for in a snap. Whether it’s a piece of signature jewelry, a sleek leather jacket or a pair of timeless tailored trousers, there are a handful of wardrobe essentials every girl should have on hand that can be called upon anytime, anywhere to instantly elevate any outfit. Not sure where to start? Check out our list of must-haves here.
8. Always have a backup plan. Your style sensibilities might be sent from the gods, but you’re only human — and life (a.k.a. snags, stains, etc.) happen. Create a fashion emergency kit, complete with stain removal pens, fashion tape, Band-Aids, safety pins, Still Standing spray and a few small sewing staples, to keep wardrobe conundrums from ruining your day.
View this post on Instagram
A post shared by Valentina Siragusa (@valentinasiragusa) on
9. Do you. The most important thing to always keep in mind is that style is an outward expression of who you are, and staying true to you is the easiest way to ensure sartorial success. Strutting around in ensembles that just don’t feel authentic to you — and therefore uncomfortable — can do a number on your confidence, no matter how on-trend they might be. Stick with what you love, and watch as the compliments start rolling in.
Follow us on Pinterest for more style inspo!
Your relationship with your finances is one of the most important relationships you'll ever have, and you can't avoid it. That said, for many of us, the pandemic only added to our financial stress. If you find yourself feeling frazzled, just remember that financial insecurity isn't a net-worth issue — it's a mindset issue. And, we happen to have plenty of advice on how to turn your money mindset around so you can take charge of your funds once and for all.
To start, feeling secure begins with a strong foundation, and there's no better time than now to get started stacking the bricks. It's easy to get swept up in the January "new year, new me" mentality, but really? Any time is the right time to get yourself in order. You don't need to wait for a new year, a new moon, the right moment, or a sign from above. You don't even have to start on the first day of the month — you just need to start.
Introducing NerdWallet: A Safe and Reliable Money App
To help with that, we've put together a list of the just-right-for-you ways that NerdWallet can help you monitor your financial outlook. Haven't heard of them yet? NerdWallet is a personal finance company that helps consumers make smarter financial decisions. Their website and app let you compare different financial products, find articles and tools to make financial decisions with confidence, and keep tabs on your finances (hey there, credit score, I see you!) all in one place. Plus, NerdWallet has over 75,000 glowing reviews in the App Store (and a 4.8 star rating) if you want to read up on any more testimonials.
Tim Chen, NerdWallet's CEO and co-founder, started this financial journey in 2009 after his sister needed help finding a credit card. Even with an economics degree and a Wall Street background, it took awhile for Tim to find the right recommendation (so don't feel too bad when it takes you a while, too). Their mission is to bring clarity to all of life's financial decisions.
So it's safe to say that NerdWallet is a pretty good sherpa for your journey, too.
Get the most from your money
Did you know that the money you park in a savings account can lose value? Harsh, but true. If your money isn't earning interest that's on pace with inflation it will actually be worth less to you in the future. And if the bank charges fees? Forget about it. Make sure you're earning the interest you deserve and come out on top. NerdWallet has researched dozens of financial institutions to help consumers find the best options. The hard work has already been done for you, so you can just select the account that works best for you and your nest egg.
Keep an eye on everything, securely
Once everything is set up, tracking and managing your finances is what will keep the money machine running smoothly. You can create an account either through the site or the app and link your bank accounts, then keep tabs on all your finances in one place. Get a clear picture of your saving and spending, get insights into how to master your money, and even build your credit score all in one place.
Get extra credit points
Do you have the best credit card for your lifestyle? Some cards give cash back on every purchase, ones with travel perks, and ones that charge way less interest than you're paying now. NerdWallet takes the guesswork out of choosing the right credit card with simple side-by-side comparisons of different credit cards so that you feel confident choosing the right one. Whatever you want to do, NerdWallet can help you find the best credit card to get it done.
Know your options for settling down
Mortgage rates are pretty low and it looks like they're going to stay that way for awhile, so buying a home might be the move sooner than you think. But there's so much more to a mortgage than just the interest rate! To help you choose a mortgage lender, NerdWallet has in-depth reviews on multiple lenders in a mixture of categories so you get the home loan with the mortgage rate, term, and fees that's right for you.
Settle an old score
NerdWallet helps you monitor your credit score for free and helps you see how little things (like raising the limit on your credit card or paying your bills on time) can increase your score. NerdWallet partners with TransUnion® to provide your VantageScore® 3.0, based on information in your TransUnion® credit report. Your score and credit report information are updated weekly. But that's not even close to all:
- They provide you with tips from experts on how you could build or optimize your credit score
- You'll get a detailed look at your credit score and all the factors that go into it—your payment history, credit utilization, the age and type of accounts, balances, and any recent inquiries
- The credit simulator tool gives you an idea of how your credit score would change if you applied for a new credit card, closed your oldest credit card, or got a new auto loan
- You also get free, unlimited access to your credit report
When it comes to managing your money, safe and reliable is where it's at. Establishing a healthy relationship with your finances begins when you take control and practice habits that build wealth. Signing up just takes a few minutes. Set your intentions to build a solid financial foundation, it will only strengthen your relationship with your finances. And don't be afraid to get a little nerdy while you're at it.