How to Dye Easter Eggs: The Basics, Tips + Tricks
Easter season is here, which means we're about to unleash heaps of Easter egg ideas, egg-citing tutorials, and tons of other tips and tricks. In preparation for our design fest, we thought we'd get you started with the easy Easter egg basics. In this post we're going to teach you our favorite way to hard boil eggs and how to blow out an egg, and we'll get you set up with a DIY drying rack for your freshly dyed eggs. Let's get to it!
The Perfect Hard-Boiled Egg
– fresh eggs
– distilled white vinegar
– sauce pan
Place your eggs in a pot. Fill it with water, covering the eggs by at least two inches. Bring the water to a boil, and then add a glug of vinegar. Turn off the burner and place the lid on top. Let it sit for 12 minutes. Remove the eggs and rinse them with cold water. Oh, what's that? Your eggs are perfect? We thought so.
How To Blow Out an Egg
While many egg-decorating techniques call for hard-boiled eggs, there are a handful that suggest a blown out egg. We know, it sounds gross, and it kind of is, but you still need to know how to empty out your egg!
– fresh eggs
– turkey lacer
– jar or bowl
First, and most importantly, wash the eggshell with soap and water to avoid the wrath of salmonella poisoning. Gently poke a hole in the top of the egg using your turkey lacer. Flip the egg over and make a hole in the other end. Put your mouth over one hole and blow the yolk and whites out of the other hole. It's like blowing up a balloon. It's strangely hard work. Just be careful not to work too hard and crack your egg.
Egg Drying Rack
– small piece of plywood
– spray paint
Spray paint your wood and let it dry. Measure and mark your board in one-inch increments. Hammer the nails at your marks and then place your eggs on top!
What kinds of eggs are you making this year? Let us know @BritandCo!
This post has been updated.
- 54 Incredible Easter Egg Decorating Ideas - Brit + Co ›
- 4 Easy Easter Egg Decorations You Can Make in 5 Minutes or Less ... ›
- Borderline Egg-cessive: 100 Ways to Decorate an Easter Egg! - Brit ... ›
- easter - Brit + Co ›
- How to decorate a speckled chocolate easter egg cake - B+C Guides ›
- How to make easter egg pops - B+C Guides ›
- 21 Creative Easter Egg Hunt Ideas Your Inner Kid Will Love - Brit + Co ›
- easter-eggs - Brit + Co ›
- How to Plan the Most Epic Easter Egg Hunt Ever - Brit + Co ›
- 44 Creative Ways to Decorate Easter Eggs - Brit + Co ›
- 43 Creative Ways to Decorate Easter Eggs - Brit + Co ›
- 16 DIY Easter Centerpieces - Brit + Co ›